I bought a Sm 57 microphone for use on stage and recording.
Now the problem when I use this dynamic microphone for recording is that he records very quiet. for example

I want to record some guitar. (acoustic guitar is impossible)
I had to turn up the volume of my amp to high for pleasant playing, my record setting on my mac are almost max, i still have a lot of background noise on the recording and my guitar is recorded to quiet still for proper use. I don't use any external soundcard but when I tried one of my friend, we had to turn the recording volume of the soundcard also max.

other recording like acoustic guitar, shakers, background sounds are almost inpossible.
any help?
yeah... your sound card in your computer is designed for those crappy $10mics that comes with those webcams you get. an sm57 is designed to be used with some sort of preamp, be it one in an mbox mini for $200, or an avalon 737 for $2500.
and preamps don't amplify noise? or is there noise gate included?
i have a phono preamp pp2? or would it be better to buy one designed for a microphone?
Quote by Tune my fork
that mic needs phantom power! didn't u realize that when u bought it?

NO! You don't need Phantom Power for a SM57. You just need a mic preamp! Usually, a small mixer should be enough to record with your mac (although they usually tend to produce more noise than bigger/better ones)
C4C?

Take a look at my profile!
Yeah, what you want is some sort of mixer to pre-amp the mic signal. Most decent mixers will supply phantom power through the XLR cable, if that ends up being an issue. Here's what to do:

Run the mic into the mixer using a low-impedance, or XLR cable. You should go into a mixer like this one or this one. Find the Line Out output on the mixer. You will probably want a 1/4" mono to 1/8" stereo conversion cable to connect the Line Out to your computer's microphone jack on the sound card. That said, I use a 1/4" mono to 1/8" mono, and it works just fine for my purposes.

I have a decent sound card, and I find that I don't need an external device for what I do. An external device will certainly improve things, but I don't think it's *necessary,* as such, if you have a decent card on your machine. Any card designed for gaming, for instance, would do the trick.

Hope that helps you.

peace
Last edited by Nilchii at Jun 11, 2011,
the mixer comes with usb... That's also good quality i suppose? Or do i actually need an external soundcard?
No, you can probably go direct USB-out, but you'd need a driver for your computer so that you could decode the signal as audio. Some systems will have that built in.
Quote by surferbrecht
and preamps don't amplify noise? or is there noise gate included?

A preamp amplifies everything, both signal and noise. the difference between a good preamp (one made for recording) and a bad preamp (one made for voice chat in your comp) is that one makes a lot of effort to not add extra noise.

if you have a signal to noise ratio of 12 to 1 going into a good mic preamp, you might get a SNR of 11:1 coming out. adds a bit of extra noise, but it isnt killing your signal. with something that isnt made well, you might get a SNR of 6:1, which is suddenly a lot more noticable. also, i just made up all those numbers as a point, dont take them for fact.

now, the sm57 needs a decent ammount of gain on the preamp to get a good level, but you shouldnt be maxing it out. what is your exact signal chain, as that might be something to check out.

also, you dont need a mixer. a simple audio interface is a much better option for recording. you still have to get a mixer to the computer, and are still using your soundcard there. an interface will have preamps and will take some of the processing load off your computer. it also is going to typically give better quality than plugging into the stock soundcard due to better analog to digital converters. if you are going to spend money on something, get an interface and not a mixer.
Quote by Tune my fork
that mic needs phantom power! didn't u realize that when u bought it?

I think this is why everyone should have to take a Recording 101 quiz before posting here :p
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
I think this is why everyone should have to take a Recording 101 quiz before posting here :p

B-b-but then I wouldn't be able to post!

Quote by lockwolf

It would also put you out of a job - there would be nobody to call out on being blatantly wrong!
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
If he has a mixer and can crib together a line out-audio in cable, why buy anything?
I will try to do the job with the mixer, and maybe I buy an interface or microphone preamp in a while.

Thx everyone
Quote by Reeen
NO! You don't need Phantom Power for a SM57. You just need a mic preamp! Usually, a small mixer should be enough to record with your mac (although they usually tend to produce more noise than bigger/better ones)

Don't know why i said that feel stupid now...
Quote by lockwolf

The first time I've ever agreed with a post you made.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I have a Shure SM-57 Mic , run mine in to a Peavey PV6 USB Mixer $ 129.99.

There not a bad mixer at all for the hobbyist home recording.