So i have an esp ltd mh-1000 deluxe. I only use the floyd for vibrato, or bending notes down(im not a huge divebomb fan). I have a 42 mm sustain block in it, so i cant do so much crazy stuff with it anyways. The locking nut is kind of annoying me, and i was thinking about getting locking tuners instead (the ones before was grover). Will they hold the tuning? (The jonh petrucci guitars have locking tuners instead of locking nuts, and you can move the trem up and down on them...) Also is there any substitute nut for the locking nut? That looks better and holds better tune, if i decide to go with locking tuners?

Also if i decide to use locking tuners, wich ones is best? I have heard good stuff about the fender shallers, but they are like 80 bucks on ebay...
Last edited by Usernames sucks at Jun 11, 2011,
Locking tuners aren't made to keep tuning longer although they usually do, but they're useful because you can just slide the string through the post and then lock it when re-stringing.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

As long as you get quality locking tuners and a good graphite nut you should be great. My PRS only has locking tuners ant you'd be hard up to find it going out of tune with normal use.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Twistedrock
Locking tuners aren't made to keep tuning longer although they usually do, but they're useful because you can just slide the string through the post and then lock it when re-stringing.

umm.... that's exactly what they are made for. locking tuners eliminate the string wind on the tuner so there is no slippage. my strat has them and believe me it helps keep it in tune and they do a reasonably good job. they won't work as well as a locking nut though. the key to keeping a non locking trem in tune is to make sure the nut is cut properly and the strings go across it in as straight a line as possible. as long as the string doesn't get hung up on the nut it will stay in tune.
A locking nut is designed to be locked. Strings won't move smoothly through the nut slots, so it won't stay in tune as well as with the nut locked, and could potentially be worse than a non-locking trem with locking tuners, because the nut isn't smooth (because its designed to hold the string and stop it moving, even if it isn't locked).
There also aren't really any nuts that will replace the locking nut neatly, unless you get something custom made. I think you'd be better off to keep it how it is and lock the nut like you normally would.
Quote by Robbgnarly
As long as you get quality locking tuners and a good graphite nut you should be great. My PRS only has locking tuners ant you'd be hard up to find it going out of tune with normal use.

How do you put a graphite nut there?

Anyways, other guitar has locking tuners. But i always wind the string around several times (as a habbit, and i like the look of it). Is this bad? I alway tought the guitar would go out of tune because the string slipped out of the hole...
Quote by littlephil
A locking nut is designed to be locked. Strings won't move smoothly through the nut slots, so it won't stay in tune as well as with the nut locked, and could potentially be worse than a non-locking trem with locking tuners, because the nut isn't smooth (because its designed to hold the string and stop it moving, even if it isn't locked).
There also aren't really any nuts that will replace the locking nut neatly, unless you get something custom made. I think you'd be better off to keep it how it is and lock the nut like you normally would.

dude you are totally wrong. as mentioned graphite nuts are indeed smooth and strings can move through them with minimal binding. my strat has a wilkinson roller nut which was stock on that strat so there are other options. no locking tuners and a decent nut won't stay in tune as well as a locking nut if you go nuts with the trem constantly. however with a good setup you'd be suprised at how well a non locking trem can stay in tune.

OP you can have any competent tech replace your nut and it's usually pretty cheap (around $20 for the nut and labor).

locking tuners lock the string into the tuner that is it's function its not like a locking nut. a common misconception. your tuners will still move when locked but the string won't slip.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Jun 11, 2011,
Quote by monwobobbo
dude you are totally wrong. as mentioned graphite nuts are indeed smooth and strings can move through them with minimal binding. my strat has a wilkinson roller nut which was stock on that strat so there are other options. no locking tuners and a decent nut won't stay in tune as well as a locking nut if you go nuts with the trem constantly. however with a good setup you'd be suprised at how well a non locking trem can stay in tune.

OP you can have any competent tech replace your nut and it's usually pretty cheap (around $20 for the nut and labor).

locking tuners lock the string into the tuner that is it's function its not like a locking nut. a common misconception. your tuners will still move when locked but the string won't slip.

You completely missed his point....

TS has a guitar with a floyd and locking nut.... To bypass that locking nut he would have to take the lock pieces off, and that style nut isn't designed to be used that way. Also, a normal nut will not fit in the slot occupied by a locking nut. So without some modification, it's impossible to replace the locking nut with a non locking nut.

Basically TS just has to deal with the lock nut... Which is what phil said...
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Is the wheel loose? It may just be backed out far enough that you can't see it. The wheel just moves a pin inside the tuner. When you tighten it, the pin moves up and pinches the string so it can't slip.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by monwobobbo

How about you got back and actually read my post

I was talking about locking nuts, not graphite. For the record, I actually own a guitar with locking tuners and a non-locking trem, I know how well they stay in tune.
Last edited by littlephil at Jun 11, 2011,
Quote by littlephil
How about you got back and actually read my post

I was talking about locking nuts, not graphite. For the record, I actually own a guitar with locking tuners and a non-locking trem, I know how well they stay in tune.

your post i read, i forgot the part where the OP said he had a floyd on his guitar. since the debate had moved on and had mentioned locking tuners and graphite nuts i missed that you were referring to the OP. my bad

oh and for the record i've been playing guitars with floyds since 1983