So 2-4 weeks ago, I decided I wanted to hook this 22" monitor up in my room. I also found a crappy mic and some gateway speakers. When I hook my laptop up to this (it's a terrible laptop that I picked up for $300), I can record stuff using windows sound records on WIndows 7 (Don't judge me). But windows Sound Recorder sucks so much, and saves every file as .wma.

To sum it up, my "recording studio" sucks.

I want to make it an awesome digital studio, but I don't want to spend that much money. I need to know what I need to buy, if I need to buy a new computer (my Computer has 4 gigabytes of ram, but can only use 2 I think), what software I need (I already tried audacity, and it gave me a blue screen of death), what kind of mics I need, etc.

I'm aming for this to be 100% digital, or as close to digital as it can be.

I'm looking at a budget of 500-1000 dollars. In that budget, I'd need to buy (possibly) a new computer, mics (I'm looking into this one: http://www.bluemic.com/yeti/) which is around $100-$150), soundproofing my room, etc.

Thanks for your help
Guitars:

Ibanez RGA32-TYF
Harmony Rocket H53

Amps:

Orange Crush PiX CR35DLX

My youtube cannel
Last edited by chord masta' at Jun 11, 2011,
Yeah, I was also taking a look at REAPER. maybe I'll save some money and just use the REAPER trial

Also, Cubase looks pretty cool, but is pretty pricy :p

EDIT:

Money is hard to come by when you don't have a job...
Guitars:

Ibanez RGA32-TYF
Harmony Rocket H53

Amps:

Orange Crush PiX CR35DLX

My youtube cannel
Pro tools and logic pro all the way. Anything else is just not worthy. (plus these are easiest to use aswell as industry standard)
Yeah its gonna be difficult judged on what you have, but I'd get a Shure SM57 or something for recording (or the one you linked, but i know that the SM57 is a trusted mic) which will probably be around $180... then I'd use Cubase for editing (or even Audacity because its free) and spend the rest on a new computer
Periphery, love that shit!
You need to spend your entire budget on a desktop computer to have a hope in hell of getting anything usable.
Quote by Aurigo
Pro tools and logic pro all the way. Anything else is just not worthy. (plus these are easiest to use aswell as industry standard)

Or this if you can afford it ^^ am I right in saying that logic pro is mac only though?
Periphery, love that shit!
Why can your computer only use 2gb of ram? XP can use 3.5gb.
3.5gb is plenty. You should be more worried about hard disk space and processor power.

Id reccomend at least a 3ghz dual core.

1tb of hard disk space and partition it so you can keep your OS and stuff seperate incase of any **** ups.

Re-install your OS, remove everything you dont need that came with the computer, look for some optimization guides for audio production.

Reaper is free recording software, and probably almost as powerful as any of the expensive ones (cubase, pro tools, logic..).

You need an audio interface, if your computer has firewire thats probably the best route have a look at PreSonus FireStudio or Focusrite Saffire Pro.

If not, or you dont need to be recording 8 tracks a time (which you probably dont) you can get a good USB interface which will handle 2 tracks; Focusrite Saffire, Tascam US122, Presonus audio box.

As for mics, it depends on what youre recording, ive heard the bluemics are decent, but for something semi professional id stay away from USB mics.

For guitar look at the SM57, Audix I5, Sennheiser e606.

A spare pencil condenser is always handy, they pick up high end much better, allow you to try some dual micing techniques, have a look at the AKG Perception 170 and Rode M3.

Also proper studio monitors generally try to have a near flat frequency response so theres no bias when listening on different speakers (headphones, laptop, car speakers, they all sound different). THe m-audio studiophiles are decent, or if you just want some headphones try the sennheiser HD202s.
Yeah, logic pro is mac only.

The thing with audacity is that it gave me a blue screen of death (not sure if it still will, but whatever)

I could probably buy a used mac for like 600-1000, but that's my entire budget right there pretty much.

EDIT:

Quote by beckyjc
Why can your computer only use 2gb of ram? XP can use 3.5gb.
3.5gb is plenty. You should be more worried about hard disk space and processor power.

Id reccomend at least a 3ghz dual core.

1tb of hard disk space and partition it so you can keep your OS and stuff seperate incase of any **** ups.

Re-install your OS, remove everything you dont need that came with the computer, look for some optimization guides for audio production.

Reaper is free recording software, and probably almost as powerful as any of the expensive ones (cubase, pro tools, logic..).

You need an audio interface, if your computer has firewire thats probably the best route have a look at PreSonus FireStudio or Focusrite Saffire Pro.

If not, or you dont need to be recording 8 tracks a time (which you probably dont) you can get a good USB interface which will handle 2 tracks; Focusrite Saffire, Tascam US122, Presonus audio box.

As for mics, it depends on what youre recording, ive heard the bluemics are decent, but for something semi professional id stay away from USB mics.

For guitar look at the SM57, Audix I5, Sennheiser e606.

A spare pencil condenser is always handy, they pick up high end much better, allow you to try some dual micing techniques, have a look at the AKG Perception 170 and Rode M3.

Also proper studio monitors generally try to have a near flat frequency response so theres no bias when listening on different speakers (headphones, laptop, car speakers, they all sound different). THe m-audio studiophiles are decent, or if you just want some headphones try the sennheiser HD202s.

Would a 1 TB external hard drive work as my current Hard Drive is only 80 GB

I'm definitely looking at REAPER for Recording software

I probably won't be recording 8 tracks at a time :P

I'd probably go more for some studio headphones just to save a bit of money
Guitars:

Ibanez RGA32-TYF
Harmony Rocket H53

Amps:

Orange Crush PiX CR35DLX

My youtube cannel
OK, if audacity made your computer bsod, you will need to have it looked at, most likely upgraded or replaced.

For Under $1000 you could get:

$265 - M Audio Fast Track Pro - 4x4 24-bit/96kHz audio interface
(Two front panel mic/instrument preamp inputs (XLR)
Two balanced outputs (1/4" TRS))

*Obtain* a copy of Cubase 5 (not condoning piracy)

Sure Sm 57 Mics (Old and reliable) you can find them for about $100 on wholesaler sites
Carillion Axis 8 is a cheap but decent condenser ~$180

Monitors are very important so expect to spend the most on them.

Record Guitars/Bass DI into Cubase and use free vst's for amp sims and impulses
if recording drums you can get a "decent" recording with 3-4 57's,
You are probably better off programming drums in a little home studio for noise reasons and acoustic treatment is quite expensive.
Record vocals with the carillion or similar condenser mic again many free vst for compression, eq, etc.

This site will help you =P
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap-151/
I'll have a look at that website

I'm not really aiming for a professional studio, just one that I can record stuff and make money off of that recorded stuff, then maybe I'd probably get better stuff for my recording studio :p
Guitars:

Ibanez RGA32-TYF
Harmony Rocket H53

Amps:

Orange Crush PiX CR35DLX

My youtube cannel
Well USB isnt really fast enough to be converting it to digital, being processed by the computer and saving it out to a USB hard disk. You really need internal space.

If your computers current enough to use SATA hard disks you can get 500gb for next to nothing. Then get a 500gb external HD for backup and storage.

^^If hes gunna go about "obtaining" stuff he may as well just get the pro tools le 8, cubase is for gays. You can get a second hand original digidesign mbox for less than $100, its a great interface, much better than the fast track and you need digidesign/avid/m-audio hardware for pro tools.

Oh a midi controller keyboard is a must, very usefull for writing drums, bass lines, chords, whatever. They shouldnt be too much, m-audio keystation.

Once you start getting into recording properly your gunna need to sort out your computer. Audio production can be very intensive and hard on your computer. If it cant handle it you wont get good results.
Last edited by beckyjc at Jun 11, 2011,
Quote by jdcapper

*Obtain* a copy of Cubase 5 (not condoning piracy)

Yes, you are condoning piracy. He said his budget is $1000 max, and he doesn't have a job. Then, in your same post, you go on to recommend:

$265 interface
$300 (you did say 3-4 SM57's))
monitors (which will run at least $400, but closer to $600 if you're going to get anything half-decent)

That's his money spent right there. How the hell else will he "obtain" Cubase without pirating it?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Aurigo

Tell that to Moby and Timbaland who both use Cubase.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by chord masta'

I'm looking at a budget of 500-1000 dollars. In that budget, I'd need to buy (possibly) a new computer, mics (I'm looking into this one: http://www.bluemic.com/yeti/) which is around $100-$150), soundproofing my room, etc.

Thanks for your help

Get a used PC. Mine was about $200. It's an IBM single-core at about 2.8Ghz with 1.5 GB RAM and Win7, and that was over a year ago.

Get Reaper for $40.

There are a few decent interfaces around the $200-300 range.

Start with some freeware VSTi's, and plugins.

Get a decent pair of USED monitors for $400 that otherwise would have cost $600-700.

That leaves you a little better than $100 to get going with something like an SM57 until you get some more $$.

Don't even consider soundproofing. It's not in your budget.

CT

If CuBase is what you want try typing into google CuBase 5 torrent.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
It should go without saying, but that is illegal.

*reported*
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Quote by reincarnator
It should go without saying, but that is illegal.

*reported*

oh boohoo, your on the internet
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by jimihendrix6699
oh boohoo, your on the internet

The Internet, where piracy is illegal.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Gee 45 day warning for a typo TO-RENT,............
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Renting of software also violates the terms of use in nearly all cases.

Besides, Cubase is protected with a hardware dongle, so you can rent the software all you want, but without the dongle it won't work.

Nice try.

CT