Does anybody have any opinions or experience with Silver Maple? I have 2 LARGE (and I mean LARGE.... HUGE) silver maples that were cut down. While cutting these up, some of the wood looked rather pretty. I know it is soft and rots rather easily. But, if properly dried, would it make a decent guitar body? Or, should I just scrap the idea. It's kind of stupid but I'd like to preserve a piece of one of the trees just because they were so old (unfortunately too big and too close to the house).
I'm going to cut a few slabs from it. Even if it doesn't become a guitar there are a few other projects I could use it for. LeviMan I also have a guitar made from 2x's (2 2x8's if I remember. Built it when I was 15 (I'm 40 now) with my grandpa's help. He knew nothing of building guitars but was an EXCELLENT carpenter. I had an idea and he helped see it through. The guitar is absolutley priceless to me.
i have a godin freeway and it has silver leaf maple, if thats the same thing. im assuming it is. anyway, i think its pretty debatable on how much the wood even affects tone. ive heard plywood guitars that sounded great. ive seen guitars that essentially are just a neck and they sounded just as good as a regular guitar. if you think about it, with the pickups, tone and volume controls, cables, pedals, preamp EQ and all the circuitry in the amp and the tubes if you have them, and then the speakers, the wood in the body really probably doesnt mean much. its not an acoustic instrument. so even if it does have a role, its a smaller one in when comparing the two.

anyways, if anything here is useful, its the fact that its heavy. on the godin site they mentioned they gave my guitar a silver leaf centre with poplar wings to cut down on the weight.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i have a godin freeway and it has silver leaf maple, if thats the same thing. im assuming it is. anyway, i think its pretty debatable on how much the wood even affects tone. ive heard plywood guitars that sounded great. ive seen guitars that essentially are just a neck and they sounded just as good as a regular guitar. if you think about it, with the pickups, tone and volume controls, cables, pedals, preamp EQ and all the circuitry in the amp and the tubes if you have them, and then the speakers, the wood in the body really probably doesnt mean much. its not an acoustic instrument. so even if it does have a role, its a smaller one in when comparing the two.

anyways, if anything here is useful, its the fact that its heavy. on the godin site they mentioned they gave my guitar a silver leaf centre with poplar wings to cut down on the weight.

It's primarily about the piece of wood and how it resonates and how well it transfers string vibration, but each type of wood does impart some measure of different response to the player's picking. Get a great piece of ebony and a great piece of mahogany, build identical bodies, put identical pickups in them, they'll sound wildly different. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

The guy playing the Les Palette, while having done a killer thing and made a killer guitar, was playing through a Spider, which is known for making just about every guitar sound the same through its processing.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores