what is the real differanse in sound between a gibson and an epiphone les paul??
Hey, related to the thread topic..

Is the price difference between an Epiphone Les Paul 100 and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard really worth paying? Reason I ask is because I never played guitar and as I'm starting soon with an Epiphone Les Paul, I wanted to know if there would be a big difference for a guitar newbie...

Thanks!
Quote by saxophonerod

Is the price difference between an Epiphone Les Paul 100 and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard really worth paying? Reason I ask is because I never played guitar and as I'm starting soon with an Epiphone Les Paul, I wanted to know if there would be a big difference for a guitar newbie...

Thanks!

I say go to the store and play them both through the same amp. If the sound and playability is worth the price difference, get it.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
if you're just starting and want to learn the basics of playing you don't need to spend a lot

does a little bit depend on what you want to play but just pick up something cheap to start with tbh (even second hand)
Quote by repairmanjack
I say go to the store and play them both through the same amp. If the sound and playability is worth the price difference, get it.

What can I play to see if the difference is worth it? I've never played guitar in my life!
Quote by saxophonerod

Thanks!

If your a newbie then go in the middle of the 2 and go for the Epiphone Studio LP they are deff better than the 100 and not as expensive as the standard. And you wont be as quick to get tired of playing it as the 100
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ thats why i say start on something cheap you won't be able to get the best out of either of them first time you pick them up so how can you make a judgement
Quote by Robbgnarly
If your a newbie then go in the middle of the 2 and go for the Epiphone Studio LP they are deff better than the 100 and not as expensive as the standard. And you wont be as quick to get tired of playing it as the 100

The Studio sounds very good.. Basically, the difference between the 100 and the Standard is the quality of the humbuckers and the finish? I compared both in a website and everything was the same..
The standard is deff higher standars than the 100 not only electronics, the tuners are Grovers (wich are very good).The 100 has a bolt on neck, while the studios and standards have set necks( glued in). The wood is of better quality on the studio, but even better on the standard.
The Studio would deff be a good fit for a beginner, you are getting a good quality guitar for a diecent price.
I have to ask have you considered the Epi G-400 at all?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The standard is deff higher standars than the 100 not only electronics, the tuners are Grovers (wich are very good).The 100 has a bolt on neck, while the studios and standards have set necks( glued in). The wood is of better quality on the studio, but even better on the standard.
The Studio would deff be a good fit for a beginner, you are getting a good quality guitar for a diecent price.
I have to ask have you considered the Epi G-400 at all?

I haven't, actually.. A friend of mine has been playing for 7 years and he has 2 Gibson SG.. I asked him and the reason he told me the Les Paul would be better for me is because I am a blues addict and my focus is on blues and rock.. He said between the SG and the LP, the LP would be better for the blues.. What do you say?
hes right the lp is better for blues. The SGs are more rock
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
everything but the shape is what's different. period.

Quote by Robbgnarly
hes right the lp is better for blues. The SGs are more rock

wat? bullshit. he's wrong.

guitarists are better for blues or rock, not guitars.

evh could play a ****ing banjo and it would be rock.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 11, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020

wat? bullshit. he's wrong.

guitarists are better for blues or rock, not guitars.

evh could play a ****ing banjo and it would be rock.

That's my line of thought.. Someone who does something well, will do it well with either a 200$ guitar or a 2000$ guitar (in this case).. Michael Jordan would own anyone in basketball with flip-flops on, no need of the Nike sneakers
Just trying to help him out he said hes a newbie. And yes your right I use a Tele style to play metal so its the guitarist,But most people associate the SG to rock.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
An epiphone SG will likely have the same (or very similar) pickups to an epi LP... And honestly that's gonna be the only way the sound changes. Both are slabs of mahogany with electronics being the only variable in sound.

Therefore, if you prefer the feel of the SG, then get that. If you prefer the LP, there ya go. Don't buy one over the other because it's supposedly better suited for any particular genre. Otherwise Jim Root will show up at your door and shove his telecaster up your ass.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
An epiphone SG will likely have the same (or very similar) pickups to an epi LP... And honestly that's gonna be the only way the sound changes. Both are slabs of mahogany with electronics being the only variable in sound.

Therefore, if you prefer the feel of the SG, then get that. If you prefer the LP, there ya go. Don't buy one over the other because it's supposedly better suited for any particular genre. Otherwise Jim Root will show up at your door and shove his telecaster up your ass.

To a point you are right the SGs smaller lighter body is not going to be as "deep" sounding as the LP but their sounds are similar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, the weight and density of the wood will have some influence on the sound, but honestly is it enough to say that one is better than the other for blues? I don't think so. Especially for a beginner. I started on a $50 squier that played feedback and hum better than anything else, but it was enough to get me past the basics, and when I had a better idea of what I wanted I upgraded it... to an epiphone SG, ironically enough
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by saxophonerod
What can I play to see if the difference is worth it? I've never played guitar in my life!

Go into the store. Look at everything in your price range. Pick it up, put a strap on it if you can and hold it standing up, and sitting down. Don't be afraid to ask for assistance, as not everybody straps a guitar on properly. Feel how the neck feels in your hands, how your arm lays against the body, and how the body lays against you.

Most guitars in a shop will be out of tune and have nasty skanky old strings on them. Don't bother playing them if you don't have any experience, just feel them. Let the guitar speak to you, and then make your decision.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Robbgnarly
Just trying to help him out he said hes a newbie. And yes your right I use a Tele style to play metal so its the guitarist,But most people associate the SG to rock.

oops, i didn't intend to look like i was slamming you. i'm sorry.

edit: and the black keys actually use a banjo on Psychotic Girl and it's blues. pretty cool tone tbh.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 11, 2011,