You're gonna get a hundred replies from both sides here, but the amp will have the biggest impact on SOUND. The guitar will have the biggest impact on PLAYABILITY... So if your guitar plays good, but sounds like shit, then you need a new amp. If your sound is good, but the guitar feels wrong, you need a new guitar.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
You're gonna get a hundred replies from both sides here, but the amp will have the biggest impact on SOUND. The guitar will have the biggest impact on PLAYABILITY... So if your guitar plays good, but sounds like shit, then you need a new amp. If your sound is good, but the guitar feels wrong, you need a new guitar.

/thread.
Absolutely this
100% correct. The guitar will have some aspect on your tone, but the VAST majority comes from your amp.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
this ? has been asked a million times. your sound will be limited to the weakest link in the chain. a great amp won't make a crap guitar sound awesome, it will just allow whatever ability sound wise that the guitar is capable of come through. a crap won't sound any better with a great guitar. you don't need a top of the line guitar or amp to sound great just decent on both sides. honestly the best answer is to get the best you can afford for both guitar and amp. finding combinations that work within your budget will yield the best result.
Amp affects the sound the most.
Guitar affects playability and feel. The guitar also contributes a bit to the sound.

/thread
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I've seen plenty of guitarists plug a cheap ass guitar into a nice amp, and it sounded great. You plug a $3,000 PRS into a crappy practice amp, and it'll sound awful.... I mean you can plug the same guitar into multiple amps, and it'll have vastly different sounds... Amp is a huge percentage of your sound. And don't even start with the whole "you'll play better on a nicer guitar, so it'll sound better" bit. A nicer guitar won't make you play better. A more comfortable guitar will make playing EASIER, but in no way will it make you sound better. It's all in your head.

EDIT: Though I do agree with monwobobbo that the better solution is to find a good balance between the two extremes. You don't want either your guitar or amp to be terrible, so going middle of the road is best if budget is a concern.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Jun 11, 2011,