I recently acquired a Boss GT-8 so I practice with headphones and I'd like to do some recording out of it.

Now as I understand it I'd need a mixer of some sort to go from the digital out on the unit to my computer, is that correct?

Also if that is correct would anybody have any suggestions on some decent mixers that don't break the bank? I'm pretty new to this whole recording thing so any assistance I could get would be greatly appreciated.
(Gear in profile)

Yes I do like metal, no I'm not a close minded idiot.
Actually the GT-8 doesn't. The GT-10 does I believe but not the 8. It has a digital out but I thought you still needed a mixer or something similar to use it.
(Gear in profile)

Have you taken a look at our lovely R&R Resources thread? If you did, perhaps you saw the even more lovely Recording FAQ link inside? Lots of great info in there. Check it out sometime.

I'd recommend getting an interface and going from the output into it and forget about the "digital" output. That's what I would do and have gotten good results in the past with it.
Just get yourself an 1/4 inch to 3.5mm jack cable, put the 1/4 jack in the phones output on your Gt-8, the 3.5mm in your mic port on your pc and you're good to go.

Be sure to change the output mode to line/phones and the speaker mode to original on the GT.
Sandyman - I guess I haven't checked the Resources thread. Maybe I should've. Whoops. I guess I was looking for a good recommendation for a decent interface to use is all.

Thommxz - I've done that kind of thing before and didn't get very good results out of it. I think I'm gonna go for an interface so my recording will be of higher quality.
(Gear in profile)

Quote by whytefyre_hawk
Sandyman - I guess I haven't checked the Resources thread. Maybe I should've. Whoops. I guess I was looking for a good recommendation for a decent interface to use is all.

Thommxz - I've done that kind of thing before and didn't get very good results out of it. I think I'm gonna go for an interface so my recording will be of higher quality.

Hmmm, ok.
But to me the quality is pretty good, I own a Boss GT-6 myself (which isn't much of a difference compared to the GT-8) and use it for all my covers on YT , are you sure you've set the settings right?

But if you wanna go pro, get an interface, that's definitely what you'll need.
i record with gnx4 usb and also cant get a good record,i wannabuy a good firewire interface too,maybe m audio profire 610 or a used m audio firewire solo
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
Thommxz - Maybe I should just give it another go and try again. It's worth a shot.

james.hetfield - Yea maybe I'll look into those. Thanks
(Gear in profile)