Hey guys, I'm a left-handed guitar player from Belgium and I have been dying to get my hands on an Explorer.

This one, Epiphone Explorer, would perfectly suit my needs and I love the look of gold hardware on black. Problem is, they're not made left-handed.

So after a while of looking about on the Internet, I found this: Tokai EX55
This guitar is exactly what I need, and I can order it from an Internet shop in the Netherlands.

Now, my question to you guys, is Tokai a trustworthy brand? Do you guys have some experience with it? I want the guitar to at least live up to Epiphone standards...

Thanks.
Tokai as a brand is fantastic, and generally very reliable, the ex55 and the equivalent epiphone model are very similar, and are both begginers guitars, i had one for quite a while, but don't play it anymore due to an ongoing love affair with my 80's tokai strat.

If you can get one at a low price, go for it, you'll like it.
Quote by TokaiEX
Tokai as a brand is fantastic, and generally very reliable, the ex55 and the equivalent epiphone model are very similar, and are both begginers guitars, i had one for quite a while, but don't play it anymore due to an ongoing love affair with my 80's tokai strat.

If you can get one at a low price, go for it, you'll like it.

Thanks for the info!
the japanese ones are better (but a lot more expensive... i'm also not sure if the japanese one is available left-handed). But yeah certainly tokai, if you're looking at the japanese-made ones, is a great brand.

bear in mind the cheaper, non-japanese tokais often are made from the "wrong" woods. It doesn't necessarily mean they'll sound bad, but they might not sound "right" if you're after a vintage-accurate tone.

big problem, as i'm sure you're aware, is being left-handed...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the input Dave_Mc. I noticed the use of 'wrong wood', the EX55 has an alder body, while the old Explorers were made out of korina (which I heard, has the same properties as mahogany). I'm not really looking for a 'vintage correct' sound, but I prefer the dark sound from my mahogany SG over a Strat. Could this be a problem?
just depends, really. If you prefer mahogany it might be, but at the same time you'd really need to try the guitar as there's no guarantee it'll sound how you expect, whether it's made from the "right" wood or not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?