As some of you may know, I run the free website magicbooktheory.com, and as some of you may also know, I've been very bad at keeping it stocked with fresh lessons. I'm not asking for anyone to go there, and as I've said it is free, I'm making no gain by you going.

As of late I've been feeling guilty for leaving the site so stagnant, and have started writing material for a blog to be associated with it. I'm in a rut for material though, and would appreciate it if you could throw out any subjects I should touch on, whether it be stuff you are murky on, stuff people should know anyways, etc. I'm also looking for anyone who would be willing to proofread these for accuracy and ease of understanding.

In short: I am starting a music theory blog. I need subjects to write about, as well as someone willing to check them for accuracy and ease of understanding so I can better them in the future. Any help is much appreciated!
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Since you've asked, I don't like it. I've looked at it and I don't think it's easy to understand at all. I would have never said anything, but since you've posted for feedback concerning understanding, I don't think it's very good. Don't take that personally I find this to be the case with nearly every book and website there is out there. I wish you the best of luck.

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Since you've asked, I don't like it. I've looked at it and I don't think it's easy to understand at all. I would have never said anything, but since you've posted for feedback concerning understanding, I don't think it's very good. Don't take that personally I find this to be the case with nearly every book and website there is out there. I wish you the best of luck.

Sean

Thank you. I understand that concepts like this are very hard (if not impossible) to portray in simple terms, and what I'm doing isn't perfect. The site is my own take on things, which I realize may not make sense to most. The blog was going to be a way for me to start writing again, throwing out concepts that I've been working to understand.

Do you have any suggestions on how to improve the lessons?
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain

Quote by TK1
Thank you. I understand that concepts like this are very hard (if not impossible) to portray in simple terms, and what I'm doing isn't perfect. The site is my own take on things, which I realize may not make sense to most. The blog was going to be a way for me to start writing again, throwing out concepts that I've been working to understand.

Do you have any suggestions on how to improve the lessons?

Well sure. First of all MagicBookTheory, isn't magic and it points ones expectations towards something different and special and the
"breakthrough" Hey learn theory, its easy, just like magic! And then the content is anything but....

Second, think of yourself. Everyone has different learning styles, and you most likely write the way you understand. Learning to think about others and how they learn is invaluable.

Also, think about when you were lost. When you didn't know this. Imagine you are teaching the you back then. What did you REALLY need? Think of ways that you might not have understood this material, and work out a way to explain to the other "you" so that you'll say "ahhhh I get it now!" You have to teach with the audience in mind. Make it as simple and logical as possible. If there is pre-existing knowledge assumed, make sure they know it. How many people start to learn something only to realize an important piece of the puzzle is GONE and the person talking assumes you HAVE it as if were every day common knowledge?

If we really do this, our actions and words and ideas and concepts will be made simpler.

Also I don't like your diagram, it looks scientific and complicated. I know what it is, but the new guy might as well stumbled upon the blueprint on how to build the space shuttle! It can be intimidating. Your type written font is painful to read. Consider sans-serif fonts. I like the white and the open feel but that font is aggravating.

Try a simple exercise.

Take a chord, like a G chord and write a description out that explains how to play an open G chord.

Post it here, it must be:

Clear, easy to follow.

Simple not complex.

Illustrated if needed.

Anticipate the typical problems with a beginner. What might they encounter? Where might they feel frustrated? How can you encourage them? What are their motivations for learning and how can you use those for positive reinforcement? How are you going to address those common problems that you recall you had? What assumptions can you safely make about the reader? Do you qualify their readiness?

Start there and see how you do.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jun 11, 2011,
I read the first couple of lessons too and I couldn't possibly have said it better than Sean just did.. So great work Sean!
TK1: The explanations are in general too short, but all can be resolved following Sean's advice.
I'll follow this thread for a while to see how you're going and give some more advice if needed. Keep up teaching the world to understand music!
About how you structure your lesson plans and how you personally understand theory.
Quote by Didii
I read the first couple of lessons too and I couldn't possibly have said it better than Sean just did.. So great work Sean!
TK1: The explanations are in general too short, but all can be resolved following Sean's advice.
I'll follow this thread for a while to see how you're going and give some more advice if needed. Keep up teaching the world to understand music!

Well, the blog was going to be my reason to start writing again, but I suppose re-writing some/all the lessons to be a little clearer will be better.

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll be sure to post updates here when they happen!
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain

I agree with Sean's criticism. That site is pretty awful looking, especially when you compare it against other sites doing the same thing (musictheory.net).
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I agree with Sean's criticism. That site is pretty awful looking, especially when you compare it against other sites doing the same thing (musictheory.net).

Mind that musictheory.net involves a great understanding in html, not that easy to make if you're not skilled in such things
@TK: You could put some audio files in the lessons. Always helps with music