Hi guys,

Let me start of by saying that when it comes to guitar equipment, I am not the most knowledgeable. I'v been playing guitar on and off, but I am recently starting to get back into it.

I currently have the JS100 satch series with DiMarzio Evo humbuckers. Dont ask why I put Evo's in there

I am currently using a Marshall MG100DFX. Yes, I know its a crap amp. Sue me. I was young when I bought it.

So I am currently looking to replace my amp with an all tube amp.

The problem is, I have a wide variety of music that I like to play, everything from blues, jazz, all the way up to metal. Therefore, I require an all tube amp that will be versatile enough to manage all these genres. The other problem, is that I have a budget of around $600 maybe more, depending on how desperate I am.

I need some expertise when it comes to tube amps as this will be my first tube amp ever.

Also, before I forget, I am mainly playing in the bedroom, so a small wattage amp should be fine, however, I would like to have the benefit of more headroom, should I one day choose to do small gigs etc. Therefore I was thinking around the lines of 15 watts.

I have 2 pedals:

1) Boss MT-2 (I know its not the best, perhaps I will upgrade that at a later stage)
2) Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Peavey Ultra 212.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Thats it? only one suggestion? Would have liked to see more suggestions being thrown around
Laney VH100R
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hmmm within your budget?

Blackstar HT-20 - note that its not UG's fave brand right now as there's supposed to be some SS mojo going on in there.

You know, seriously... I think you should save your money for an Egnater Rebel 30.

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/egnater-rebel-30-112-1x12-30w-tube-combo-guitar-amp

Its a very versatile and reliable amp that can handle quite a wide range of music. Much better than the HT20 and its full tube. Plus, compared to the Rebel 20, its got an OD channel.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 12, 2011,
Jet City JCA20h and 2x12 cab. it will do it all and the whole setup will only cost you a little over $500
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Jet City JCA20h and 2x12 cab. it will do it all and the whole setup will only cost you a little over $500

He wouldn't get the cleans for jazz with the JCA20.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I'm a pretty big fan of my Peavey Valveking. I play anything from John Mayer to Van Halen, and it sounds fantastic. Since you're prolly trying to go a little metaler than that you'll want to have a pedal to boost gain and the MT-2 isn't necessarily the best fit for that sorta thing IMO.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by repairmanjack
I'm a pretty big fan of my Peavey Valveking. I play anything from John Mayer to Van Halen, and it sounds fantastic. Since you're prolly trying to go a little metaler than that you'll want to have a pedal to boost gain and the MT-2 isn't necessarily the best fit for that sorta thing IMO.

Funny, how back in the day when I first got the MT-2, it was the perfect fit. But I guess things change. I do plan on upgrading my pedal in the future. But for now I'm looking at an all tube amp
Quote by LooneyLoonz
Funny, how back in the day when I first got the MT-2, it was the perfect fit.

You know why you don't like the Metal Zone no more? Your ears grew up and told mommy "mommy mommy, the MT2 was touching me down there"
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
JCA100H And Bugera 2x12. I know what your thinking. "100 watts? That'll blow the house!" Theres this really nifty knob on guitar amplifiers called volume. Mine goes from good sounding bedroom volumes to great sounding stage volumes. You need something higher wattage for metal so that you won't run into power tube distortion. The cleans on this amp are also great.... and its only $650 at guitar center. I would say get the 50 watt version but there seems to be a supply and demand problem with that one.
Pm me if you've got some pedals to sell
See heres the problem I should have mentioned, I live in good ol South Africa (kak place). Everything here is so expensive. That JCA100H and Bugera 2x12 ($650) is 4,447.16 ZAR add another 5000 ZAR because... well... just because its south africa and they rip you a new hole. So that doesnt seem like an option atm.

I was looking at the Peavey Valveking 212. Its about 8800 ZAR which is 1,286.04 USD, with a cash discount they are giving it to me at 7000 ZAR which is 1,022.89 USD and if I also trade my current amp (they are giving me 2000 ZAR on my current amp).

So in total they are offering me the Valveking 212 for 5200 ZAR = 759.756 USD.

This price might be ridiculous for you guys, coz you can probably get much better amps at that price. But as I said, in South Africa, things are not cheap.

To me, thats a good price for that amp.

I did speak to a guy in the music shop and he said that he wouldnt recommend bugera because of the reliability issue. He said every single amp that he sold, came back with a defect and he had to replace/fix them. So he doesnt stock much of them anymore.

So right now, the Valveking is looking like a good option. I dont need it to do extreme metal, I would only go as far as metallica sort of heavy.
You'll need a OD to drive the ValveKing into heavy metal territory, and it'll need to be more high gain than a Tubescreamer.

I think a better option would be to run a good distortion pedal into the clean channel of the VK - something like a Wampler Triple Wreck.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )