Recently I wanted to play a little bass. Not for shows or for recordings, just so that I know some of this stuff myself. Also it could be fun. I have been looking into these fairly inexpensive packages that give you the bass with the amp and everything else you need. Anyone have any preferences or know which is better to buy?

Thanks in Advance....
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Music Man Axis Sport
Its usually best to avoid starter packs unless you're really strapped for cash.

Have a look in the FAQ stickied at the top of the forum, there's a whole section on starter gear that should point you in the right direction.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Get one of the SX basses from Rondo. Those are solid pieces of kit from what i've been told.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
That's not what your mother said.

That's right. You aint the only one working with cows.

DOUBLE MOM JOKE!

I just bought what I thought was a random old bass to learn on (but which turned out to be a Vintage Jazz Bass) and a Fender practice amp and didn't really look at starter packs. It was kind of heavy and needed a couple of minor repairs that I didn't know how to do at the time so I started looking around for a second, looking at reviews etc. I found something about the Peavey Zodiacs and was surprised that their reviews seemed to be so good when their price was so low. So I decided to give them a try and bought a white BXP. I haven't found a single thing I don't like about it so far so if you're on a lower budget I'd definitely recommend taking a look at them.