I would appreciate some opinions on these two amps from people more experienced than myself, as this will be my first amp purchase. Moving on up from the shitty Ibanez practice amp.

I've been doing a lot of reading on the VC15, watched a lot of demos, and I really think I would like this amp. However, I have no opportunity to try it out for myself. My dad convinced me to go to the local shop and see what they have first. I tried the Blackstar HT20 combo, being similar in price and size to the VC15. It sounds really good based on like 20 minutes messing around, it was fun to play on.

Pricewise, the Blackstar is 579.99 at the shop. The Laney is on ebay from a licensed Laney dealer for 500, with the "or best offer option", so I can barter with the seller. Shipping is about 34. So the Laney will be more inexpensive no matter what.

Tonewise, I like to play Opeth stuff so a nice clean channel is important, as well as doom, death, black, all the darker metals basically. What are your opinions, oh wise ultimate guitar forum patrons?
well the vc15 is nice, but i wouldn't be buying it for opeth it's a much more vintage-voiced amp.

the blackstar might do that tone better, but bear in mind there's a lot of solid state stuff going on in it- it's debatable if it should really be called all-tube, basically.

if you like the tone that doesn't matter, but just go in with your eyes and ears open.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah I read about the solid stateness of Blackstar on here, and I asked the guy at the store about that and he's all "No no it's all tube, 100 percent". I hear the Laney takes pedals extremely well, Blackstar does too I've heard. I guess I'm just looking for the better deal as I'm pretty confident in both of them sounding good.
Quote by wandering_taco
Yeah I read about the solid stateness of Blackstar on here, and I asked the guy at the store about that and he's all "No no it's all tube, 100 percent".

yeah he's lying to get a sale.

well either that or he personally believes it's all-tube (but he's still wrong if that's the case).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm with Dave on this one. The VC15 is a great amp, but it's on the vintage-y end here. The HT20, full-tube or not, does high-gain tones better. It's still not exactly a dedicated br00tz amp, but a lot closer to it than the VC15. You might want to look at a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo as well. Cleans aren't as nice as on a VC15, but they're still decent and it'll cover the distortion-sonds you need pretty well.
The VC15 is a great amp for all kinds of rock styles, but if I was you I would get the HT20 as you clearly like different kind of metal tones. Even though I like my VC15 very much, I can't recommend it to you.
it says in the threads where people reverse-engineered them. and also in common sense- you don't get a reasonably high gain amp with two preamp tubes, where one of them has to be the phase inverter.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by afrika18
I thought the Blackstar was all tube? Where does it say its a hybrid?

Nowhere in the ads or brochures, which has led to quite a lot of controversy. It's confirmed that the HT5 is a hybrid (there's a schematic floating around that shows clipping diodes in the preamp and a solid-state phase-inverter), but there are no actual facts about the HT20 openly available as far as I know. It seems very unlikely that the amp is full-tube though, based on the amount of gain it has on tap in contrast to the small number of preamp tubes in it.
^ yeah, exactly (also the ht5 has a bunch of op-amp gain stages too if i'm not misremembering). I'm not sure if anyone has reverse engineered the 20, but considering it's in the same range, considering the amount of gain, and considering the small number of preamp tubes.

yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well that decides it for me then. And it sucks too because I absolutely loved the sound of the Blackstar HT-5, I fell in love with the awesome tube tone and actually played on it at the music store from open to close, marveling at the incredible warm tube tone and sustain, the organic, responsive dynamics and the killer distortion.

Guess its back to the Marshall Haze.
Well I picked up the HT20 combo today, I really like it so far. Thanks for the advice everyone. It certainly is an amazing upgrade from my Ibanez practice amp I've been playing on for the last 2.5 years Now to explore all the tones it will offer...
I'm thinking this tread is gonna be another one of em Blackstar "tube" debates. XD

I'd like someone to reverse engineer the HT-100 tho. The little watters like the 1 / 5 / 20 might have alot of SS running inside it, but the 100 "could" be a legit all tube since its got 3 preamp tubes and 4 power amp tubes.

I could be wrong tho. Reading the SS crap about the HT series has turned me off from Blackstar, but sound wise I really liked the HT-100.
Quote by afrika18
Well that decides it for me then. And it sucks too because I absolutely loved the sound of the Blackstar HT-5, I fell in love with the awesome tube tone and actually played on it at the music store from open to close, marveling at the incredible warm tube tone and sustain, the organic, responsive dynamics and the killer distortion.

If you like the amp and it suits your needs, buy it. The dodgy marketing aside, there's nothing really wrong with it.

Also, the Haze is way overpriced. (The Blackstar is also a bit dearer than it'd need to be, admittedly.)
Lol this is turning into one of THOSE Blackstar threads.

I'm not quite sure how Blackstar expected anyone to believe them when they said that the amps are 100% tube. I mean seriously, they OPENLY said that the amps are the HT distortion pedals integrated into an amp circuit. The pedals obviously have solid state components. So I mean...wut.

Now don't get me wrong. I love the Blackstar HT series. I actually might pick up the new HT-5R. It's basically the old HT-5 with reverb, a better and larger 12'' speaker, seperate EQ, and (supposedly) more gain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MxJ5bvCk6w

^ It sounds really, really good. Much better than the old HT-5 imo. I might pick one up because the HT series amps with a lot of mids might be the cheapest solution I've found to get in the general area of Tool's guitarist Adam Jones' tone.

Some solid state parts providing "pre-gain" don't bother me if it sounds and reacts like a tube amp, with 2 channels and an effects loop in a cheap price range.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Quote by afrika18

oh if you like it, don't discount it because there's solid state stuff going on. it's little different from having a tube amp and running an overdrive pedal into it (well it's a little different, you've still got the ss phase inverter, but yeah), so don't let us put you off.

I just want you to know the truth and then you can make your own mind up with all the relevant info.

Quote by Syriel

I'd like someone to reverse engineer the HT-100 tho. The little watters like the 1 / 5 / 20 might have alot of SS running inside it, but the 100 "could" be a legit all tube since its got 3 preamp tubes and 4 power amp tubes.

yeah... i have no idea.

Quote by Ayses

Some solid state parts providing "pre-gain"

ahahahahahahahaha
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?