So I've been working on techniques (for finger playing) the "elitests" would say are the best for death metal. Now these techniques aren't exactly easy to do and often cause me to just give up. So what do you guys think on all the elitest techniques out there? Do you think they are the best and will overall help you be the best? Or do you think that everyone's technique is personal and can always be used, even for death metal?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Elitist techniques are just techniques and the more techniques you're fluent with the more versatile you are as a bass player
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
if you are having problems playing something,

1. metronome. google one.
2. play at a slow tempo. 90bpm is ideal.
3. slowly go up in jumps of 5-10bpm till you are till you can play it however fast you want to.

as for style, these techniques lend themselves to different genres better than others. you can break that if you want to (for example, les claypool)
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
iv never heard of eletist techniques.
are they like an actual set of specific techniques or just ones people consider hard?
death metal is tricky with fingers, hard to play that fast, i suggest get good with three fingers lol

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
There are no 'elitist techniques', just different ways of getting the job done. Use whatever you want, pick, fingers, tapping, don't let other people influence your own judgement. It's all personal preference.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Can you maybe explain what the technique is, or are? That would help...
Like, for death metal you can't have your thumb follow, or if using a pick you can't have your hand rest on anything cause it'll slow you down, stuff like that.
Seriously, as long as your posture and technique is comfortable, and you can play whats needed, nothing else matters.
Quote by Rawshik
Like, for death metal you can't have your thumb follow, or if using a pick you can't have your hand rest on anything cause it'll slow you down, stuff like that.

Don't listen to these rules. Most of it is bullshit anyway.

I use fingers for anything. Hell, i'd slap death metal if I wanted to. Don't limit yourself based on what other people do or say.
pinga
Yeah you guys are right. I just feel that I won't be as good if I can't do all those.
Quote by fleajr_1412
There are no 'elitist techniques', just different ways of getting the job done. Use whatever you want, pick, fingers, tapping, don't let other people influence your own judgement. It's all personal preference.

this made me lol...

anywho, there's no such thing as elitist techniques.

And learn what you want to learn, not what others want.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
You'll be fine mate.

Those "elitist" techniques are put into place because the true masters of certain genres use them and thus if you play in that genre you too must also use those techniques. At least that's what the uneducated would tell you.

Yes someone may use those techniques but it doesn't mean you have to. Those guys have just been around for a long time and after years of practice it was just kind of the technique that they settled into. If you don't follow suite good for you. Be an individual, and after some legitimate practice in your techniques, if you still feel they won't be up to snuff, try something else. But where we Quintin Berry of the Ugli Stick be (here) if he listened when people were telling him he was doing it wrong. You just gotta find what works for you