I'm looking for a portable and relatively affordable practice amp to take to uni/college but I'm well aware that most practice amps are aimed at beginners and have, lets say, utter shite for tone.

So, on a budget of £200-ish, are there any practice amps/small combos/small head + cabs that I should look for to get a more professional tone?

(I'm willing to buy second hand but there isn't much choice out there.)
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jun 11, 2011,
What type of music do you play?

Low wattage tube amps sounds like what you want.
How about a Fender Blues Junior or Blackstar HT5?
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Quote by barnesybaby
What type of music do you play?

Low wattage tube amps sounds like what you want.
How about a Fender Blues Junior or Blackstar HT5?

Wrong forum bro.

Why don't you try Behringer? For that much money, you can buy a 810 fridge and 500W tube head.

Nah but on the serious, can you try the mini Ampeg rig? Not sure you can get it new but if you can find it used, together it's about $600. I heard it sounded alright and it's a nice looking portable amp.
pinga
Guitard
Behringer
Guitard
Forget I asked.

Seriously though, I looked at the Ampeg Micro Thingy and is £500, so a lil' over budget but the Ashdown Mini Rig is. However, can't find any decent videos/soundclips.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jun 12, 2011,
Maybe give Kustom a look if they're readily available over there?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
The Five Fifteens are great, I recommend them.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
The mini Hartke's are as good in the practice amp range as the big ones are in the stack range, I've found. Plus Tech uses them in most of their rooms (apart from the god awful Marshall room)

The A35 is pretty good, for £160ish. I think the most important thing from a practice amp is to have at least a 10" speaker. I've found smaller than that doesn't really cut it, you don't get the right sound.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Do they still do the Roland bass cubes? They aren't terrible.
Quote by Nutter_101
The mini Hartke's are as good in the practice amp range as the big ones are in the stack range, I've found. Plus Tech uses them in most of their rooms (apart from the god awful Marshall room.) The A35 is pretty good, for £160ish. I think the most important thing from a practice amp is to have at least a 10" speaker. I've found smaller than that doesn't really cut it, you don't get the right sound.

There's an ex-demo A35 going for £120, I'm considering snapping that up but I'd much rather have sold my current amps before I buy anymore.

Quote by smb
Do they still do the Roland bass cubes? They aren't terrible.

I can't help but think the money they spend on the digital effects means they might be skimping on the other parts. :/ Same as Line6.
Quote by Spaz91
I can't help but think the money they spend on the digital effects means they might be skimping on the other parts. :/ Same as Line6.

Agreed. My CB30 isn't the best of amps...
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
That EBS certainly looks nice. More wattage then the usual practice amp, a DI-out, a tweeter, and its a tiltback. Whats not to love?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jun 12, 2011,
Id have to go ahead and say yes. Everything EBS i have tried has been top notch. I cant imagine this being anything less.

Have you thought maybe about just a headphone amp or a usb/firewire interface that you can use for both practise and recording. Youll just need a good pair of headphones then.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I came into this thread with the intention of linking the EBS Classic 60, from the sound of a few reviews I've read they are definitely worth every cent. If I ever need to downgrade my rig at all, the Classic 60 is on top of my list.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Considering I'm trying to sell my Ashdown (which would have been £470 new) for £200, I'll be paying £40 more than what I'm getting. This is going to be a tough decision.