At what point do you consider yourself to be able to play a song?

For me, I need to be able to imitate it near perfect, know it fully, chords and lead alike, then be able to improvise over the top of it in my own style. To that end I consider that I 'know' less than 10 songs at the moment. what about you?
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'
i feel like i can play a song when i can play through it without it sounding like absolute shite. Granted, i still work on it and improve it but for the most part if i can play 90% of it i feel like i can play it
Stuff that I bought:

Washburn WM24V
Raven RG100 Amplifier
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal

Quote by jsync
how do you define a guitar for a female?
how about one that whines and has trouble with feedback?
For me to say that, I'd have to know the overall structure of it, including basic melodies, chord progressions, bass, percussion, and other harmonies and key signatures. I don't have to play it identically, it just needs to resemble it.

I tend to say "I can play part of <song>" more often.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I can play a song under these rules:

1) I have a rough outline of some of the notes and how the song goes
2) the person I'm talking to will NEVER ask me to play it
Literally as you say it. If you can play a part to a song and have it sound right, you can play that part of a song.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Most_Triumphant
I say I know a song when I am sure that I can play it live.

Good, thats a bloody easier way of saying exactly what I mean in a third of the words haha
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

When I can play along to the song without struggling.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
When I would be comfortable performing it to a small audience.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

SuperLol'd
When I play it, people who know the song recognize it.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

As long as I can play all the parts of the song from memory without stopping or messing up the structure.

So if it's a formulaic song I know each section; intro, verse, chorus, bridge, solo etc.
And play them in order practically mistake free.
I only play for fun so my setlist are rather small. About 10-12 (complete) songs including 4 of my own. A few songs w/o the solos (didn't like the solos) and a mess of riffs. I love the 60s-70s rock but not many cared for them. I don't care, I love it.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
If I can play it from A to Z and make it sound good (being able to correctly hit 90-95% of the notes, depending on the difficulty), I consider that I can play it.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Duke Ellington

I'm sick and tired of people calling America the stupidest country in the world. I personally think Europe is the stupidest country.
If I can play something, it means I can go through it over and over with few mistakes. If I KNOW something, it means I can tell you about the harmonies, rise and fall of tension, yada yada.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
When I can play it in time and with all the notes/chords correct without using a backing track or the original song.
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
"I can play" is when I can do it with little or no mistakes, though I may need to look at the tab.
"I know" is when I can play it with little or no mistakes, and without the tab.
When I can play from the beginning to the end without having to look at the tabs/messing up.
I can play means I can play along whilst looking at a tab/guitar pro.
I know means I can play along without looking at anything but my naked self in the mirror.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I can play the song once I can play it.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
I rarely learn full songs, usually just parts from them.

Although I have been learning a few songs all the way through lately, I'd agree that once you can play a song from memory (perhaps with a metronome) without any major mistakes, it's probably learned.

How long does it take before you guys forget how to play a song?
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
When I feel like I can play all of it smoothly.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Quote by byob_soad2
"I can play" is when I can do it with little or no mistakes, though I may need to look at the tab.

YAAAP
Quote by Saint78
i cn liek totaly ply "crazy trane"

That spelling makes it seem like a jazz version.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
I say I can play a song when I can play it accurately in a live situation without looking at sheet music or tabs. Bonus if someone else recognises it as being said song.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by Julz127
I rarely learn full songs, usually just parts from them.

Although I have been learning a few songs all the way through lately, I'd agree that once you can play a song from memory (perhaps with a metronome) without any major mistakes, it's probably learned.

How long does it take before you guys forget how to play a song?

I have to have a drumbeat to play so I have a drum machine, especially if the beat is synced with the FXs. Some of my songs are very dependent on the FXs.

As to remembering songs I seem to have a limited capacity in my memory. Lots of my old songs fade away as I learn new songs. It's probably because I didn't play 'em anymore or simply forgot about 'em. Sometimes when I listen to the radio it'll jog my memory that I used to play that song.

What can I say, getting old sucks.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
I know it means I know how to play each of the individual parts, or can improvise it.
many songs fall under this catagory

I can play it means I know everything really well, and can perform it perfectly 9/10 times
only about 10-15 fall here
I don't feel like I can play it until I have played through it a few times perfectly. I feel like I'm cheating if I say I know a song, but haven't played it perfectly before.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
When I can play along to the music and it's more or less the same to me.

If there's any part that I can't play in a song, that's a song that I can't play.

I also need to be able to play the solo. If I can play the rhythm parts of a song only, I still can't play the song.
Before playing a half-arsed version of the original song, I state to my audience: "Version for solo acoustic guitar, arranged by The Hriday", and pretend to take out sheet music.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
If I can play it from A to Z and make it sound good (being able to correctly hit 90-95% of the notes, depending on the difficulty), I consider that I can play it.

Sounds like you're talking about guitar hero haha

Quote by byob_soad2

This.

I usually forget what I learn within a month though. Not completely but enough for me not to be able to play it
cat
I'm very unserious at learning full songs at guitar, I really mostly just improvise stuff. But at piano, I say that I can play it (with no additional "but not that good, though", etc.) When the mistakes I make are only occasional and non repetitive.
And when I can put myself in playing so much that when someone opens the door and interrupts my playing I get scared the crap out.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
That's the difference between cover and tribute (the songs). I just cover the songs though it may not be note to note but I don't know where the artist played that particular note, nevertheless it's the same note (I hope). The guitar is very ambiguous.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Well I never learn a song note for note, and I do try to innovate my own influences and style into it so...
I guess I'll say I can play ____ when I am comfortable with performing it live and when I make it sound recognisable and well... good.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt