I am trying to record my guitar with audacity, but the records are so low that you can barley hear. I have my guitar connected to my amp, and then my amp connected to my PC through the mic slot. Do you guys know any things I should check to make it record louder?
The software isn't the problem. Buy an audio interface, your computer's sound card is meant for PC speakers and headset mics, not recording high quality audio.

Check out the M-Audio fast track USB
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by L2112Lif
Audacity is stupid, get a real DAW.

Don't connect your amp through the mic slot, that will give you crappy tone and can cause damage to your soundcard. Get an interface, it will help.

Audacity is fantastic free software. Get a good microphone and an audio interface and you're sorted.
Last edited by Duffman123 at Jun 11, 2011,
turn the mic volume up at the top?

or in the volume setting on your computer
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Jun 11, 2011,
Quote by Altitudinous
Don't listen to people who say continue using audacity. Audacity is like. The worst. Drop a couple bucks on something that is gonna make things way easier for you, and that will give you much better sound.

It's the best free recording software out there.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
turn the mic volume up at the top?

This.

And don't listen to the people telling you to can Audacity. It's a wonderful free program. If you are able to spare a couple bucks and it's supposed to be top-notch quality recording, then get a different program. Otherwise, Audacity is perfect.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Isn't Reaper free? At least the seemingly unlimited trial? I haven't used it so I don't know.
But as they said, you really should get an audio interface. The M-Audio Fast Track is a great starter, I use it as well.
Ditch audacity. Seriously. Go download the demo of Reaper. It's unhindered and you can use it after it expires. While you should pay for it, if you can't you can still use it. Though do pay for it if you are going to be using it alot and can afford to. I honestly don't think the produces care if bedroom warriors pay for it or not though.
Quote by L2112Lif
But in comparison to a commercial DAW, it sucks. Hard.

Well yes obviously, but if you don't have around £300 to spare Audacity is good free alternative.
audacity sucks because you cant synch tracks wel. there isnt a grid. its hard to see where you are at too. its pure shit but its the only freeware recording program. not the best, the only
Quote by Duffman123
Well yes obviously, but if you don't have around £300 to spare Audacity is good free alternative.

Or, he could get Reaper. I spend more on drink in a week than what Reaper costs. Not a big sacrifice to make to buy it
Quote by robhc
Or, he could get Reaper. I spend more on drink in a week than what Reaper costs. Not a big sacrifice to make to buy it

Yes he could, I'm not saying he can't.

All I'm saying is if he wants to record for free Audacity is the best software out there
Quote by Altitudinous
Don't listen to people who say continue using audacity. Audacity is like. The worst. Drop a couple bucks on something that is gonna make things way easier for you, and that will give you much better sound.

Audacitiy will give you the same sound any DAW will with straight up recording and has pretty much the same options in/out wise. Although I will agree something like Reaper is MUCH better as Audacity is extremely basic.

TS, we need more info. How are you plugging it into your computer? If you amp has a line-out then it should be okay, but if you have a Line-in on your computer besides the Mic input, use that instead.

Be careful and don't do something stupid like connect a "speaker out" jack from your amp into your computer.
Quote by Duffman123

Reaper is $40 if you choose to pay for it. Your move.

Quote by Ignite

Audacitiy will give you the same sound any DAW will with straight up recording and has pretty much the same options in/out wise. Although I will agree something like Reaper is MUCH better as Audacity is extremely basic.

Yeah, if you can figure out the horrible interface and are fine with destructive editing instead of EQing while listening to the track.
Quote by Alex Vik

Yeah, if you can figure out the horrible interface and are fine with destructive editing instead of EQing while listening to the track.

Which is why I don't use it. It obviously is lacking in pretty much every form but for someone that just needs to track some simple stuff it's pretty awesome for a free program.

I love how everyone was all "OMG AUDACITY" at first and now it's considered shit.
Quote by Ignite
I love how everyone was all "OMG AUDACITY" at first and now it's considered shit.

It's obviously hip to hate on it now
Quote by Duffman123
It's the best free recording software out there.

Debatable. If people are interested in music enough to want to record their own, don't you think they should get the tools to help them do it well? It seems like if you want to make a good recording, a DAW is just about the dumbest/worst thing to cheap out on.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
audacity sucks because you cant synch tracks wel. there isnt a grid. its hard to see where you are at too. its pure shit but its the only freeware recording program. not the best, the only

Nope. There are plenty more. Wavosaur, LMMS, Ardour (although you can only use that on Linux and Mac), Jokosher...

You have no idea what you're talking about, as usual.

LMMS is probably the best absolutely free one you're gonna get. It's basically an FL Studio clone, and while I personally don't like FL Studio, it's the only full-featured DAW that's absolutely free (unlike Reaper).
Last edited by Holy Katana at Jun 12, 2011,