Simple question. I currently have 6L6's. Can I throw some EL34's into my amp?
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
If the amp isn't designed to take both (ie has a switch for it) then no you can't - not without some modifications to the amp. The screen resistor is wrong but more importantly, EL34's draw more heater current so you have to know if the power transformer can take it. Worst case scenario is that you will need a new/extra power transformer. You also have to check out what is connected to the socket. Fender sometimes use the spare pin on an Octal socket with a 6L6 as a tie off point, that pin is used on an EL34.
Going from 6L6 to EL34 is the difficult direction to go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you have to ask, then probably not. Usually amps that are switchable very blatantly advertise so. Also, there should be a switch on the back like Cathbard said.

Let us know what amp you have though so we can tell you for sure.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Bogner Alchemist would be the amp.

Not really essential, as I like the tone of it anyway, but I've always also liked EL34 tones... So I wanted to see if I could try it.

And also, come to think of it, how often do preamp tubes need to be replaced? About the same as power tubes or are they different?
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
I had an Alchemist 112 combo. Terrific amp and no, you cannot put EL34s in it.

That amp has a lot of tone shaping capabilities and the amp may be biased too cold from the factory. Trouble is you can't bias it too hot because it'll get hot. I biased mine at 36 ma so it'll retain its clean tone but have some drive behind it.

I found that the preamp tubes in it are about the best combo for it so you can change the 6L6GCs for better tone. I didn't like the Rubys that was in it so I put in the GT6L6CHPs. It was better, really smooth and evenly spread across the spectrum but later I replaced them with SED winged Cs. Those were lot better than any of the tubes I had in.

Sadly I had to sell the amp and I forgot to take the SEDs out, damn. At least I still have the Rubys and the CHPs.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Buy good NOS preamp tubes (Telefunken, Amperex, Siemens, Mullard, Brimar, Phillips, etc) and you should see between 10 and 20 years out of them. I have some 20 year old BEL's (Indian Mullards) in my Abbey and they still way outperform any modern valve I've used. Haunt Ebay, it's amazing what comes up for what.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I agree about the NOS tubes. I have the used set in mine, Westinghouse (blackplates) in the preamp and Sylvania (Baldwin) in the poweramp. Really sweet tone.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+