So with the end of my first year at university i finally found the time to go and spend a day at a decently well stocked guitar shop. Specifically Andertons in Guildford in the UK. Really good shop, i'd recommend them to anyone who lives around that area whilst i was there i tired a few amps which i havent had the pleasure of trying out before and one that i had which i have definitely changed my mind on

1. Marshall AFD100

Now the whole hype about this amp was that its basically Slash in a box, and well it is. Straight away it had that classic slightly modded JCM800 tone on the #34 mode, and it can get a fair bit of gain on just that channel. Of course the main part is the AFD mode. This adds a load of gain on top, and makes the whole thing fairly saturated. Enough gain for 80s hair metal stuff, but definitely not for metal (not that anyone who buys this amp will actually want to use it for metal tho). One thing i felt with it was that it was a veryy bright amp. I felt like i had to turn down both the treble and presence to stop it from being a bit too piercing. then again, Slash has a far bit of top end especially in his recent solo album so if you like that tone its deffo an amp for you.

Pros: if you want Slash's tone, this is what you want
Cons: literally all it does, nothing much for versatility

overall i'd say a solid 7/10

2. Marshall YJM 100 Yngwie Malmsteen Signaturte Head

Definitely a bit of a surprise for me this amp. Based off a 1959 Marshall head i wasnt really expecting to like it that much, and certainly for it to be a one trick pony but it definitely isn't. The standard sound without any of the boost/gate function engaged is all standard 1959 which is great if you like that sound, personally its not my favourite but for vintage crunch is very nice. With the boost engaged this thing has a TON of gain, and completely changes. It turns into more of a high gain shredders amp than what you would normally expect from a Marshall. Note definition was very good, and when you roll the volume off a bit you can get some lovely crunch tones and the digital Reverb is very very nice indeed. It isn't anywhere as near as bright as the AFD and I personally preferred this over the AFD. It has a little more 'mojo' if you guys know what i mean, it felt a little more special and sounded far better IMO. The good thing too about it is that it doesn't make you sound like Malmsteen at all. You can easily get that sound out of it, but you can easily get your own sound out of it which is again something the AFD did not offer.

Pros: brilliant lead amp, best sounding Marshall out there by a long way
Cons: single channel can cause versatility issues, you'll want a separate clean amp to go with it

overall i'd say 8.5/10
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Last edited by shredftw at Jun 11, 2011,
3. Cornford MK50 II

As used by Guthrie Govan I had some very high expectations of this amp. The clean channel is very usable, it cant get you crunch but dont worry cos channel 2 can do that for you no problem. Turns out that the lead channel can do pretty much every kind of gain tone you can imagine. Light crunch?? Blues?? Jazz?? Death Metal?? this thing can do it. It has loads of gain, more than the YJM by a long way and very very nice indeed. It also had a fair bit of low end, i found myself having to turn the resonance control down a bit so that the bass wasnt a bit too flubby!! I can definitely see why Guthrie swears by these, they sound very good and with two effects loops its very well featured. I did find tho that even though it can do literally every tone out there that it just lacked something. It didn't feel as special as the YJM, despite this tho i would definitely recommend it for anyone in the UK who is looking for the most versatile head possible for £2000 and under, beats the socks off the JVM which is the only amp i can really think of that can compare to it before you start going into Mesa and Diezel territory.

Pros: every tone under the sun in a box, and Guthrie uses it
Cons: with a price very close to the high end USA made stuff a few extra hundred £s will get you something just as good if not better

Overall i'd give it 8.5/10

4. Mesa Boogie Mark V

Now i have played this amp two times before, and two times it had bitterly disappointed me. The cleans were great, the crunch tones were great but channel 3 just left me feel lacking. Until i played it again today that was..... Dear lord in heaven im sold, im literally sold on it, i have to own one its just silly. The amount of gain isnt the thing here, its the way its applied. My friend who was with me described it very well. If it was a person it wouldn't just go up to you and shout "AHHHH I HAVE LOADS OF GAIN" it would simply say very politely with a hand shake "i have a large amount of gain available". It isn't about the in your face pure power that oozes from a Recto or indeed pretty much any other high gain ive ever played. It has all the gain in the world but at the same time it is controlled and precise, and very articulate. i did also play the other two channels again and they didn't disappoint. it has the perfect clean, and the perfect crunch and if you need to push Channel two into being an extra gain channel it can easily get there if you boosted it. All in all im glad ive had the chance to actually properly play this amp, and im now going to go and cry about the fact that i dont have one

Pros: Perfect Clean, Perfect Crunch, Perfect Lead. Any Questions??
Cons: its £2300 which is a lot in the UK, but very much so worth it

Overall i'd give it 9/10

so thats my little review of a few amps, hope its alright for you guys

Cheers
Ed
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Last edited by shredftw at Jun 11, 2011,
Nice reviews; I'd love to just spend a day messing with high end amps.

Now I want a Mark V all over again, just after I got over it
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
Quote by Ratfish
Nice reviews; I'd love to just spend a day messing with high end amps.

Now I want a Mark V all over again, just after I got over it

i just bought a 2 channel recto, i feel as much pain as you do
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
ANDERTONS!

Did you happen to run into Rob Chappers!?!
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
Quote by Darth_jacob22
ANDERTONS!

Did you happen to run into Rob Chappers!?!

haha, im afraid not mate he was there last week tho but i had exams and stuff this week so couldnt spare the time to go then i've met him before anyways, pretty swell guy. he was the only person to play the Tom Anderson Drop Top that i bought last year before i bought it which was pretty cool. its even in one of his videos

its a great shop, loads and loads of gear to try out there
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Finally

Nice analogy btw.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Finally

Nice analogy btw.

thanks dude, yeah me and mate finally worked out the Recto/Mark series problem of taste
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
What channels modes did you use?

My MkV is always on these modes
Channel 1: Clean
Channel 2: Crunch
Channel 3: MkIIC+ OR Extreme

I can't get my head around the Mk I mode on channel 2... no matter how twist those knobs... it always sounds boxy.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
i used Clean, Mark1, and extreme. the 2C+ setting seemed to be very bright for my tastes, and Mark 1 is just gorgeous i found. it had brilliant singing tone but also enough to get you into fairly high gain territory. what cab are you using?? i was going through a Cornford 2x12 not too sure what the speakers were but it was a stock cab
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by shredftw
i used Clean, Mark1, and extreme. the 2C+ setting seemed to be very bright for my tastes, and Mark 1 is just gorgeous i found. it had brilliant singing tone but also enough to get you into fairly high gain territory. what cab are you using?? i was going through a Cornford 2x12 not too sure what the speakers were but it was a stock cab

I'm use two Krank 112s with Eminence V12 Legends.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
hmmm, well the Cornford cab i found out has V30s in it so that may be why. it was also a 2x12, but i cant see how your 2 1x12s could make it sound boxy :s i didn't have the EQ in for clean or mark 1 so maybe try that??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by shredftw
hmmm, well the Cornford cab i found out has V30s in it so that may be why. it was also a 2x12, but i cant see how your 2 1x12s could make it sound boxy :s i didn't have the EQ in for clean or mark 1 so maybe try that??

I don't understand either, I was under the impression that the V12s were supposed to be fairly similar to the V30s.

I don't know... the tone... it just sounds boxed in... like rather unidirectional. I ran it with and without the EQ... still sounds the same.

I dunno... it doesn't sound as blooming or open as the Edge or Crunch modes... but then again... i could be doing something wrong... or that could be the amp's character... and it just doesn't appeal to me.

Do you still remember the EQ settings?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 12, 2011,
Quote by ragingkitty
I don't understand either, I was under the impression that the V12s were supposed to be fairly similar to the V30s.

I don't know... the tone... it just sounds boxed in... like rather unidirectional. I ran it with and without the EQ... still sounds the same.

I dunno... it doesn't sound as blooming or open as the Edge or Crunch modes... but then again... i could be doing something wrong... or that could be the amp's character... and it just doesn't appeal to me.

Do you still remember the EQ settings?

sorry dude cant remember what i used exactly, but it wasnt exactly crazy. something like Presence 12, gain almost cranked, master 12, bass 2, mid 12, treb 1, 10watts, no EQ, normal not thick and Mark 1 setting.

Quote by Ippon
Now, I'm even more interested in the Cornford MK50 II. Shame those are quite difficult to audition here (looking for Used).

no worries, its definitely an impressive amp. i dont think i would personally buy one tho, just didn't have that same awesomeness that the YJM and Mark V did. it didn't come over as OMG I MUST OWN THIS unlike the other two
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Great reviews!

Thanks.

yeah, I'm really interested in the YJM.

Does your rating take into account cost/value or just the merits of the amps?

i think i deffo put price into part of the equation but its mostly the tones and playability of the amp that i've taken into account here
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults