Poll: what do you listen to first?
Poll Options
View poll results: what do you listen to first?
greatest hits
28 17%
"best" album
79 48%
first album
17 10%
*torrents discography*
41 25%
Voters: 165.
Page 1 of 2
do you typically listen to their greatest hits album first, their very first release, or their most critically-acclaimed release? (or do you just torrent their entire discography?)

typically i go for their most famous albums first. i like knowing what's considered to be their "best" work then using that to judge if the rest of their stuff is worth checking out.
Go Veg.
I listen to their shitty stuff first so the good stuff sounds even better.
you're a stone fox
The album that has the song that got me into them.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I listen to whatever i come across first. Which normally tends to be their most popular songs/greatest hits
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
I avoid greatest hit compilations like the plague.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by daytripper75
Usually the best known stuff. There's a reason it gets most of the attention.

not in the case of Friday
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I do research on Wikipedia and reviews pages to see which of their albums is most likely to cater to my current tastes, and take it from there.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by zippidyduda
I avoid greatest hit compilations like the plague.

This, I always listen to discographies in chronological order, starting from their debut to their latest release.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
I get the album with the songs that got me interested, and then pretty much go one backward/forward by one each time I buy a new one.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
I torrent the discography, but the first album I listen to is the one that has the most critical acclaim. Then whatever.
Start with the best known. If I like it, I'll listen to everything else in chronological order.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by Reisgar42
I get the album with the songs that got me interested, and then pretty much go one backward/forward by one each time I buy a new one.

Glad that someone else does it the right way. Though buying all music is hard.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by lushacrous
Glad that someone else does it the right way. Though buying all music is hard.

Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
I'll hear a song I like of theirs on YouTube (great place to discover new artists), look them up on AllMusic (they're usually pretty good at rating albums relative to each other) and look at their best releases. AllMusic is incredibly helpful when it comes to artists with huge catalogues, e.g. Bob Dylan.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I start with either their 'best' album or the latest one, if it has just been released. ABIII was the record that broke me into Alter Bridge.

But if I know a couple of songs here and there, then I will listen to the entire discography from the beginning through to the latest album.
Download discography with "best" album on high priority :P.
I'm sick of all
Your hypocrites
Holding me at bay
And I don't need
Your sympathy
To get me through the day

LONG LIVE DREAM
The first song that appears in Youtube.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
I get Greatest Hits often, although if the best album is available then I will go for that
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Their best stuff. It gives me a good idea how how they got their sound and stuff.

Unfortunately, that's what I did with Mudvayne and LD.50 and I ended being disappointed with everything else.
pinga
Quote by lushacrous
The album that has the song that got me into them.

This.

I recently discovered Protest the Hero. The song that got me into them was Heretics and Killers, so I got that album first. Then started listening to the others ones.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Most critically acclaimed or debut.
I've grabbed greatest hits albums on a few occasions, though, and they turned out to be good choices. I bought R.E.M.'s Best of the IRS Years on a whim 'cuz it was in the sale bin, and I got Echo & The Bunnymen's Songs to Learn & Sing 'cuz it had "The Puppet" which was the first song I heard by them & it was a non-album single.
Quote by magnum1117
The first song that appears in Youtube.

This. One of the only ways I discover new bands any more is via related videos on youtube, or soundtracks to other videos. If I know the name of a band I'm interested in, I'll just search that, and listen to the first minute or so of the top few songs that come up, and buy/download accordingly.
Usually hit up Allmusic.com and mediafire the 'classic' album or the debut.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
either the album that has a song or two that i know by the band, or just their highest selling/top rated album
I usually go: debut, most critically-acclaimed, most commercially-acclaimed, then rest of discography.

The only "Best Of" I own is for Talking Heads and Bob Dylan, both of which I received as gifts. Compilation-wise, I own R.E.M.'s Eponymous and the Radiohead bootleg Towering Above The Rest, a couple live compilations, etc.
Last edited by thewho65 at Jun 11, 2011,
Quote by Holy Katana
Most critically acclaimed. Either that or their debut, unless it's generally considered pretty bad.
This.

For less established bands, I usually ask someone for a recommendation. Unless I'm feeling lazy, in which case I type "*x band* mediafire" into Google and click one of the first two links.
Quote by entity0009
I do research on Wikipedia and reviews pages to see which of their albums is most likely to cater to my current tastes, and take it from there.

This. Though if they're one of those artists that put out a new album every year, and they've been around fro 20 years, then I'll usually listen to greatest hits compilations.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Either the song by the band that I fell in love with, or if I've never heard a song from them, I pick their critically acclaimed work, then jump around from there. How much I love the albums depends on the band for me.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
least popular song

because I'm a rebel ()_()
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Well established artists suck donkey penis!
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
If I've already heard a song by the artist, I start with the album that contains that song and then go on chronological order. If I haven't, I just start with the first and move on forward.

I'm actually quite OCD about that, in that I will absolutely refuse to listen to a single song from an album if I haven't yet hard ever album that precedes it chronologically.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Page 1 of 2