every band has a mountain shaped upward and downward album trail where they climax and then go down

my question is what causes this??

is it the artist or the fan!?

if you still don't know what im talking about, im talking about how musicians go downhill after a while, is it that they start to lose their love for the art and slack off and not care or is it that the fans get tired of their music style??
I don't know... to me it's how far they stray from the norm and if the albums that the band produces is any good quality. Take Bullet for my Valentine for example - I loved The Poison and their Hand of Blood EP... then Scream Aim Fire came along and it was alright considering Matt blew out his vocal chords - not amazing but I could adjust. Then Fever came out and it was way below the standards I had. The lyrics were so predictable and just the overall sound was lacking originality. Don't get me wrong, some people love their new style, but it's not my thing. So I guess it's a bit of both?
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
They probably have less time to work on stuff.

But in the Mars Volta's case, I think they just hate their fans. I think so because Cedric has said about their newest album, "Sorry no spanish [sic] on this record, no Zeppelinesque voyages, no Santana like flourishes or vishnu accuasations [sic]. No congas, no Hammond organ stabs, no 30 minute songs, no drums that sounds like mosquitos buzzing in your ear. Just future punk. That’s the only way to describe it from my point of view.”

Which is what we all want from the Mars Volta. I'm pretty sure they do it to piss us off. I think it's also the reason why they've gone two years without releasing a damn record.

And they intentionally mislead us by telling us Octahedron is going to be their acoustic record. I understand it's their interpretation of acoustic and they're liberal with their definitions of words, but god damn it, why do they hate us so much?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jun 11, 2011,
I guess once you're a multi-millionaire with your own vineyard or whatever it's pretty hard to still be close to the feelings and emotions you were writing about when you were a struggling musician.

return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Creativity naturally hits a high point.
However, I think there are some bands who put out a debut album that destroys every album they put out after that. (GnR)

It is also very fan related. Who is to say whether Dark Side Of The Moon or The Wall is a better album? It's all about taste. If a band continually puts out music that sounds the same, some people will get bored. If they change it up, some people will say they don't like the band changing. Double-edged sword...
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Generally, the way I see it...

The first album(s) are where the artists are trying to figure out their sound.

The middle is where they know their sound and they focus on making each song the best it can be. Also, sometimes the artist is newly immersed in the industry which causes the creative flood gates to open.

The later albums are where the artists try different styles, or musical directions. While still good music, most fans will say the band changed for the worse.

Then again there are bands that just put out the same album over and over like AC/DC so eventually it just gets stale.
Last edited by MacFamousKid at Jun 11, 2011,
Actually, I just made myself so mad that I'm just going to say it. You know what was future punk? At the Drive-In. Give us what we really want and reform At The Drive-In you bunch of god damn pansies.

I mean, none of those things were in At The Drive-In. You might as well just do it, dicks.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Musicians grow and change, both in style and in personal music taste and influences. They're not going to just put out the same album ten times. And during this process of change and evolution they're inevitably going to lose some fans because not everyone grows in the same way they do.

That's assuming it's a band with musical integrity that actually writes music for themselves first instead of a record label.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Actually, I just made myself so mad that I'm just going to say it. You know what was future punk? At the Drive-In. Give us what we really want and reform At The Drive-In you bunch of god damn pansies.

I mean, none of those things were in At The Drive-In. You might as well just do it, dicks.

return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Most of the time it's because they don't know they're doing. Every once in a while with a true genius, it's because we don't know what they're doing.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Jack Off Jill
"Sorry no spanish [sic] on this record, no Zeppelinesque voyages, no Santana like flourishes or vishnu accuasations [sic]. No congas, no Hammond organ stabs, no 30 minute songs, no drums that sounds like mosquitos buzzing in your ear. Just future punk. That’s the only way to describe it from my point of view.”

He said that? That's like everything I hold dear to them.

I suppose that's art, there's ups and downs. Some can be an exception, like the Beatles
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.
Quote by Funky_Fresh91
He said that? That's like everything I hold dear to them.

I suppose that's art, there's ups and downs. Some can be an exception, like the Beatles

I'm actually hoping it means an At The Drive In reunion will happen. It's possible Ikey isn't in the band anymore cause he didn't work on the record as far as I know. And Cedric has said he'd be up for it, Omar has been less negative about it. He said something about it being a possibility. And if this is what they're doing now, maybe they're getting nostalgic for their older music. The thing they seemed to dislike most about ATDI was the democratic process and not having complete control, but Omar has said this is the last album he'll be running like a dictator and he wants more collaboration. So it better happen. It was one thing when they cut the horns out, but no congas? What does Marcel do then?
Quote by vintage x metal

^I've only listened to RoC. But from what I've heard there and from them now, it does seem they're going full circle.

Going to see them 2 months, glad I'm watching 'em soon..
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.
There's a natural gravitation towards a curve in anything you do. There's a mathematical way of proving this, but that's over my head.
i like reading these, i think their might be a deep deep deep reason for the downfall of musicians that has some kind of dealio having to do with a correlation with the band and the fans reacting together.

My vocab can't properly explain it.
I think that it's usually the fans. Some bands stick to the formula they know and keep putting out similar music for 30 years (AC/DC), and the fans give them shit for releasing the same record 15 times. Other bands try to change their sound, whether for money or musical growth (Metallica), and their fans accuse them for selling out and "not sounding like their old stuff."
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Quote by Dansieg
its hella deep

When you describe it like that, how can it not be?
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
i think the artist loses the love they had for music at the time of their best album, you know how they always say

"if i have to play satisfaction(or whatever song) one more time im gonna kill myself!"

its like an actorr who plays a retard and ends up being known for playing a retard and everyone wants him to act retarded kuz no one likes change and then the actor says "well **** you, im a human ****ing being with a wide spectrum of feelings and shit" and goes and does some stupid shit
Changes in the environment usually leads to a decline. GnR's best album was written while they were living together in a small apartment. Their follow up wasn't as good because they were never together in the same room to properly share ideas.

Other times it's a change in personnel. Metallica went downhill after they lost Cliff, while Pink Floyd only got better when Gilmour replaced Barret.

Other bands get better after a few albums because they find their sound and what works for them. Some albums may stand out as better than later ones, but it is not a significant drop in quality.
i think its that artists hate selling out more than anything so they self sabotage ( i guess u could say) and try and go back to their roots and end up alienating everyone in the process
Quote by Dansieg
i think the artist loses the love they had for music at the time of their best album, you know how they always say

"if i have to play satisfaction(or whatever song) one more time im gonna kill myself!"

its like an actorr who plays a retard and ends up being known for playing a retard and everyone wants him to act retarded kuz no one likes change and then the actor says "well **** you, im a human ****ing being with a wide spectrum of feelings and shit" and goes and does some stupid shit

Hella deep.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by Dansieg

wisdom
Depends on the band, and also fans. Some fanbases are filled with retardedly annoying fanboys/girls, and sometimes this just pisses people off in the band, so the become deviant towards their fans' expectations. Some fans want the band to keep rechurning the same album over and over, yet when a band does this, they get criticized for it (like Disturbed).

Some bands either start off not knowing what they're doing and just slather stuff together and it somehow came out good, then later they refine it, and then they start experimenting. These may benefit or hinder the band depending on who's listening to them.

Some bands keep experimenting and album 1 sounds different from album 2.

Some bands also grow up. If they've been playing music for 20 years, what they sing about when they are 30 is going to be different when they first started at 19. Like with Green Day. It was "cute" to write songs about jacking off and smoking weed all day when they were barely 20 when they first became popular, but now since they're almost 40 I personally find it kind of creepy that someone who's 40 and has a family still enjoys singing about jacking it and smoking a bowl.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Swannie
Creativity naturally hits a high point.
However, I think there are some bands who put out a debut album that destroys every album they put out after that. (GnR)

It is also very fan related. Who is to say whether Dark Side Of The Moon or The Wall is a better album? It's all about taste. If a band continually puts out music that sounds the same, some people will get bored. If they change it up, some people will say they don't like the band changing. Double-edged sword...

when it comes to diversity in music, pink floyd is definatly the band to talk about, with an album like Piper at the gates of dawn, moving onto something like atom heart mother, then to dark side of the moon, then to animals, then to wish you were here, then to the wall, then to momentary lapse of reason, then to division bell... I think you get the point, none of those sound same, but then again, they sound identical simply because its pink floyd and its so easy to relate that band to each sound they made.

As for Guns n Roses, they had great albums, but a GNR with axl and no other originals is just no GNR the most anticipated album in the rock world; Chinese Democracy was the also the biggest upset in the rock world... at least thats my opinion
Quote by Butters
Do You Know What I Am Saying?

Quote by Towelie
Thats Why towelie always says: Dont forget to bring a towel

Quote by Randall
Honey Badger Dont Give a Shit.