My DSL401 combo has packed up and after trying out really different amps to this I've come to the conclusion that it really is the thick British voiced tone I like best but the 401 never had the sharpest clean tones for my liking. So now I'm just looking to upgrade to something bigger with more headroom. The headroom thing is a big deal for me hence why I'm looking at 100w heads. I sometimes use 7-string guitars with active pickups and the 401 could never quite handle that well clean.

The kinds of tones I use are similar to Seether, The Pretty Reckless, that kind of grunge-inspired hard rock. Or if you fancy getting snarky then I guess you could call it a kind of emo tone. Similar to what MCR and Paramore use actually. But I very occasionally dip into a little full metal and a little pop too, not often but enough that having just one tone won't quite do. Funnily enough I know most of those kinds of bands use Mesa heads but I tried some Mesas and in person they didn't quite do it for me.

I've found some good deals on both the DSL100 and TSL100 heads in my area, but I've also seen a few videos of the TH30 and TH100 heads and like the sound of them, judging by internet videos at least.

The way I see it, the DSL is a tone I already know. It's a tone I like and I hope the 100w head will give me the extra room needed to bring a little more sparkle and cleanliness back to the clean channel. It's only got one set of EQ controls for both channels though which is a little restrictive and I'm a little tied of having to rely on a seperate distortion pedal whenever I want to dip into more metal tones.

The TSL adds another channel and apparently offers a little more gain on the third channel as well as EQ controls for each channel. So it's far more versatile. But I haven't tried one for myself yet and I hear that the extra gain it has messed up the voicing and I've seen a few people say that the higher gain settings just sound like a fizzy solid state amp. So it could kind of be a false economy, sucky tone just for the sake of not needing an OD pedal.

The TH100 sounds really great in videos and everyone is giving it rave reviews and it has slightly more expanded EQ controls than the DSL but it's the most expensive and it doesn't seem quite as versatile as the TSL.

Opinions? I'm open to other suggestions too but if so, I'd like to keep it under £700 and it needs to have that warmer, thicker British voicing. Marshall and Orange are the only companies I know that really do that. I've discovered that the harsher American voicing just doesn't do it for me.
Last edited by grohl1987 at Jun 11, 2011,
I can vouch for the DSL. I prefer the 50, but regardless I really like that amp - probably the only Marshall I'd ever buy if I had to buy a Marshall. The TSLs I've played don't sound nearly as nice.

Can't say anything about the Oranges.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
When you say the TSL didn't sound as nice, in what way did it not sound as good?
If you liked the dsl combo the dsl heads will feel like a massive upgrade since they are way better. the combos pretty bad imo
Quote by grohl1987
When you say the TSL didn't sound as nice, in what way did it not sound as good?

Pretty much what you described. Just doesn't sound as real, and, IMO of course, it does sacrifice a lot of tone for the sake of versatility.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X