So, I was watching some random videos and I've noticed most right-handed people rest the guitar body on their right leg... I know one can use the left one too (I've always done it like that, it'd never occurred to me that I might use my dominant leg) but I honestly don't know what is better (leaving aside personal preference or what feels more natural as a beginner)

I've been playing around with using the right leg and I've noticed that despite some reduced accuracy due to not being used to play like this, I'm noticeably faster, have to stretch less and it's easier to do so...

I was wondering whether you had input on what works best for you, the difference/influence of the position for different styles or techniques and obviously... should I stick to using my left leg as I've always done or should I try switching over to the right?

Oh and by the way, I almost never play standing up.
I like playing with the guitar rested on my left leg. A.K.A: The classical position.
Cause it allows easier access to the frets, and I just find it alot more easy.

EDIT: BTW do what's easier for you.
in case of playing classical guitar you would normally put it on the left leg. You can use a footrest or an ergoplay for stability. some people also use a guitar strap for playing when sitting. instead of footrest or ergoplay you could use a guitar pillow, I have one called Hopf Dynarette.

playing the electric guitar or western guitar I usually put it on my right leg, that's what most people do I guess.

find out what's best for you. this will take some time, but it's important to find a good and safe guitar position.
Mine is a classical guitar (steel-strings are actually pretty rare here in Chile... I've only once actually seen/played one) so that might explain my always using the left leg; still, a lot of people I've seen in "real life" use the right, apparently...

Technique-wise, would you happen to know why classical usually go for left and steel-string usually go for right? I mean, what kind of techniques become easier/harder with each approach?
When I play my classical guitar, I rest it on my left leg but when I play metal on my electric, I sit it on my right leg (Giving that i'm right handed)
I play with the guitar resting on my left leg, usually with a footstool. I personally like having the neck as vertical as possible, it makes my fretting hand more relaxed and keeps my wrist from bending when I fret to further reduce tension. I guess you could say I use a more "Classical" technique, despite playing solely electric.

EDIT: I guess the moral of this is do what's most comfortable (as in, less tension). It will always take a while to get used to playing in a new position though.
Last edited by Jfischl at Jun 12, 2011,
It depends on how im sitting. I play in an office chair that has a moving back so it kind of reclines. Sometimes I play sitting way back and it's much more comfortable to play with it on my left leg and the neck sticking up in the air. However, when i'm playing sitting upright, it is more natural feeling to play on my right leg.
I play a steel string and prefer the left leg. It just feels like i'm in a much better position. On the right leg, my left arm feels very strained.

Do what is comfortable for you.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
You're doing it wrong if there's any sort of discomfort in the classical position. You shouldn't have to stretch anymore than you do in the normal position if you are sitting/holding/playing properly. In fact, it should be easier for you to stretch in the classical position when you do it correctly.
Quote by XianXiuHong
You're doing it wrong if there's any sort of discomfort in the classical position. You shouldn't have to stretch anymore than you do in the normal position if you are sitting/holding/playing properly. In fact, it should be easier for you to stretch in the classical position when you do it correctly.

I don't really get pains or anything in the classical position (except sometimes when playing/stretching too much, but that's normal), I just meant that for a lot of things, the right leg seems easier...
Quote by captivate
I play a steel string and prefer the left leg. It just feels like i'm in a much better position. On the right leg, my left arm feels very strained.

Do what is comfortable for you.

Precisely why this man is a moderator. I personally despise the classical position; it just feels unnatural, but at the end of the day, it's a personal preference thing. If you're more comfortable playing on your right leg, do that. If classical is your thing, do that instead.

With regards to your question about how the two positions evolved, I suspect very few people actually know why it came about, but the western position most likely arose from barbaric (read: not classically trained) guitarists playing that way and it becoming popular for regular folk. The classical position probably has its roots in some archaic tradition which is rigorously followed because that's how they've always done it Goddamit. Again, this is all speculation.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Quote by jwd724
Precisely why this man is a moderator. I personally despise the classical position; it just feels unnatural, but at the end of the day, it's a personal preference thing. If you're more comfortable playing on your right leg, do that. If classical is your thing, do that instead.

With regards to your question about how the two positions evolved, I suspect very few people actually know why it came about, but the western position most likely arose from barbaric (read: not classically trained) guitarists playing that way and it becoming popular for regular folk. The classical position probably has its roots in some archaic tradition which is rigorously followed because that's how they've always done it Goddamit. Again, this is all speculation.

If you sit in the classical position properly, it doesn't feel unnatural. Trust me on that, I know tons of classical players who despise using a footstool and sitting in the classical position because it gives them back pains and shit so they go buy a thigh support or something. They only get back pains and crap because they're sitting incorrectly. I used to get back pains too until I was shown the right way. Sure, you can get away with resting the guitar on the right leg but if you sit in the classical position comfortably, it's just as comfortable as sitting with the guitar on the right leg.

Usually, I encourage total personal preference when it comes to playing (provided it's comfortable) but sitting in the classical position shouldn't be uncomfortable.

No, people don't do it because of some 'archaic tradition', it's all about getting the right technique and sound when you sit in the classical position that you can't do when you're sitting in the normal position.

Sure, you may find sitting on the right leg far more comfortable at the moment but I can bet you that you that you haven't been shown how to sit in the classical position properly. (about no one who doesn't learn classical guitar from a good teacher I've met has been shown it properly )

I'm not saying the right leg position is an invalid one, I'm trying to say that anyone can sit in either position and feel pretty damn comfortable while doing it provided they're shown the right way.
Oh and by the way, it's not the actual position that I had trouble with; it's just for some things, having the fretboard closer made it easier to play... still, it felt really weird, since I'm pretty much used to the classical position. I think in the end I'm sticking to that...