Hey UG! I've been playing guitar for 3 1/2 years but primarily electric as opposed to acoustic. Musically I had a year long metal phase which then evolved into me pursuing music like Rush, The Dead Weather, Arctic Monkeys, and Tool. Lately i've fallen in love with acoustic fingerstyle music like Andy Mckee/Ewan Dobson and other original style acoustic music. While I only have limited acoustic experience with a 6 string I LOVE chorus as an effect and after playing a Fender 12 string i've decided I want one. I have a few questions however.

How high maintenance are they really? Tuning isn't a huge deal but is string changing and all the other fun stuff really too overwhelming to play a 12 string as a primary instrument?

What types of wood/fretboards/necks/other specs should I look for. I'd like a rich deep tone that can be decently bright when it has to be.

If I want to include percussion techniques into my playing and want the best amplification quality should I look for a 12-string that's purely acoustic and install pick-ups or look for one that comes with a preamp/patch insert?

Thanks for reading !
GEAR -

B.C Rich Mockingbird ST

Ovation CK-047 Koa Top

Line 6 150HD Halfstack

Vox Satchurator Distortion
Last edited by String-Dancer at Jun 12, 2011,
First, I'll say that when it comes to 12 strings, you need to be careful. This is one of those things where it is much better to spend a little extra and get something better. Don't rush into it. Second, changing strings on a 12 string is twice as hard as a 6 string due to the fact that there are twice as many strings. lol Lastly, you really do need to get atleast a solid top 12 string if you want decent tone. As I said earlier, spend a little more and you will be much happier.
Price i'd be looking at probably 500-600 dollars. I'm only in high school so moneys tight. I don't want an ungodly expensive guitar but I still want quality you know.
GEAR -

B.C Rich Mockingbird ST

Ovation CK-047 Koa Top

Line 6 150HD Halfstack

Vox Satchurator Distortion
Quote by mkocian17
. This is one of those things where it is much better to spend a little extra and get something better. Don't rush into it..

Definitely good advice. If I were you I'd go a little more than $500-600. I wouldn't get an acoustic-electric one. Get a nice acoustic and buy a pickup for it. Every acoustic-electric I've tried doesn't sound near as good as one with a pickup put it afterward
If 500-600 is in your price range, I would suggest this guitar because Yamaha make the best 12 strings that I have heard.

As far as the restringing them, yes, it is very hard, which is why I'd advise treating that guitar like a million dollar check. Very gently and great care.
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
The Fender's a good item. Just play a few different one, if possible. I picked up a CD-140/S12 a few years back after they went disco'd for $180
Yer not going on tour with Segovia or knocking back tunes with Jack White. Yer in High School..... Ya have plenny of time to perfect skills before committing to a spendy guitar.

While 12's are nice, they get a tad boring when ya realize not everything sounds good on one. Use the spare change to find a nice, matching Fender 6 string so's ya can noodle out new tunes w/o shredding yer fingertips

HTH,
d-10