So I know I make a lot of threads and most of you probably know me now by my Punisher avatar, but this thread is actually interesting. Me and my friend are thinking about starting a band with a lead bass, rhythm bass, and lead guitar. How do you guys think this would work? Would it be too bass-y? I know the lead and rhythm would have to be on complete other ends of the neck, but what do you guys think?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
It can work! I've never been in a band like that, but I've definitely recorded that way, partially because I've always wished I could be in a band with Flea and Lou Barlow. The track will end up with crunchy, grungy bass chords thumping away under the smooth "lead" bass lines, and it's often awesome.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
it could be done but realistically only one bassist can fulfill the bass role. (or you could witch back and forth) and the other would take a guitarists role.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Would either of us even have to use chords?
You could both use chords! Huzzah!

So long as you guys think it sounds good.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
you wouldn't have to, but someone probably would be. you could do some bitchen 4 part harmonies,

OR DO BARBERSHOP QUARTET MUSIC!
no sir away a papaya war is on
Are there any bands with two bassists? I've always wondered. There are bands with two or three of everything else and bands like Om with just a bassist and drummer, but I've never seen two bassists.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
I'm sure, I haven't heard of one that's main stream. Some people might do a bass and fender bass VI
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: You're gonna have to learn how to properly EQ. The lower bass frequencies don't really mix well with each other. If you both EQ to be all bassy, it's going to sound like fart bubbles if you're both jamming on the upper frets. So if one of you are going to be playing the low end and the other will "solo" on the lower frets, it'll be okay.

As far as chords go, it'll make things alot more interesting. Why are you so against learning chords?
pinga
This seems like it could give you some ideas. All just two basses and a drummer
I think someone showed me a while ago a band with 3 bassists. I wish I could remember it but I can't for the life of me. I remember it sounded pretty good... plus I've gotten this offer from an other bassist to try it. I politly declined because he wasn't that good and probably do anything to plug into my amp due to his -8 watt amp x.x
i have thought about that too and i don't see why it wouldn't work. i think it would be really cool
Quote by Cb4rabid
Why are you so against learning chords?

They are tedious and boring.
didnt someone like james brown tour once with 2 bassists? i feel like some funk/ soul player did.
Brian Setzer has two upright bassists

Plus there's S.M.V. (Granted they might be a tad better than your average bassist)
Quote by Rawshik

So are scales. So are warm ups. So is technique.

pinga
ive tried it. it works as long as one bassist doesnt mind getting shit to play haha all the good lines get taked up by the one guitar and lead bassist, rhythm bassist kinda gets the short end of the stick lol.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by Rawshik

Every discipline is tedious and boring. There are people with basses, and there are bassists.

Tic Tac is an old country bass technique where people played the same bassline on a picked P-bass and on an upright. It slowly transitioned country bass into the somewhat punchy sound it has today- the sharpness the P-bass needed to not completely mirror the upright.

What can be learned from this is simple- divide up frequencies to promote clarity of sound.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
Every discipline is tedious and boring. There are people with basses, and there are bassists.

Tic Tac is an old country bass technique where people played the same bassline on a picked P-bass and on an upright. It slowly transitioned country bass into the somewhat punchy sound it has today- the sharpness the P-bass needed to not completely mirror the upright.

What can be learned from this is simple- divide up frequencies to promote clarity of sound.

There you go, tic tac and spaghetti western stuff is the $hit, but I guess that's not what the punisher would play
Have the "Lead" bassist play a standard 4-string and have the "Rhythm" bassist play a 12-string bass:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Have the "Lead" bassist play a standard 4-string and have the "Rhythm" bassist play a 12-string bass:

I'd probably be inclined to do it the other way around, given that the extra higher strings are probably going to tonally be more appropriate for a 'lead' bass.

An extended-range bass would probably be useful for the rhythm too, to hit some even lower notes to keep the frequency gap clear.

There's nothing to suggest you couldn't do it - if everything else sounded that bad you could just get a whammy pedal and shove yourself up on octave and then put loads of distortion on. However, round about that point you should probably just consider getting a guitarist instead.
Quote by jumpaside
I think someone showed me a while ago a band with 3 bassists. I wish I could remember it but I can't for the life of me. I remember it sounded pretty good... plus I've gotten this offer from an other bassist to try it. I politly declined because he wasn't that good and probably do anything to plug into my amp due to his -8 watt amp x.x

If you mean Miller, Wooten & Clarke, yeah that's pretty good :p.

However, this thing works, I've been in a band with two basses (actually, we also did a band with three basses; groove bass, rhythm bass and lead bass. But that's another story and judging from the one gig we did not an important one).

So what you should keep in mind is not to use too much gain. Your sound should stay clean even with the three of you playing or it will become a mess.

Don't dismiss chords. Using little attack three-note chords (but no necessarily triads!) work really well above the 12th fret. Using a fickerpicking-style approach to work the chords, the lower bassist comes with the groove.

Remember to tell guitarists to avoid bottom-heavy sound. Because of the multiple bassists who need room in the (lower) mids.

Good luck! I wonder what will come of it
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd probably be inclined to do it the other way around, given that the extra higher strings are probably going to tonally be more appropriate for a 'lead' bass.

An extended-range bass would probably be useful for the rhythm too, to hit some even lower notes to keep the frequency gap clear.

There's nothing to suggest you couldn't do it - if everything else sounded that bad you could just get a whammy pedal and shove yourself up on octave and then put loads of distortion on. However, round about that point you should probably just consider getting a guitarist instead.

I'd rather use a coursed 12 string like the Hamer for the rhythm side- as you effectively play 3 notes at once, it really fills out, while the standard four string can weave inbetween. Then there are the tuning possibilities. Instead of eeEaaAddDggG, you can go I-V-I on all courses, or split between I-I-I and I-V-I on the E and A/ D and G strings respectively... all sorts.
It's worth a try surely, I guess the challenge is not to make too much music on one instrument. Kinda counter-intuitive cos it's normally the other way round, I'm sure it can be done well though

Good luck, tell us how it goes!

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Girls vs boys

Two bassists one guitarist, drummer
Quote by Pilots
Discrepancy: While at 110 KIAS and 35 deg AOB with full right pedal, trims would not keep helicopter in correct Outer roll loop.

Corrective action:
Could not duplicate on ground. 11A799. NPPC
Go for it!!!

Victor Wooten typically has Anthony Wellington backing him up on bass. Anthony holds down the groove, so Victor doesn’t have to worry about it and can play lead bass

Just keep in mind, that since your both occupying the same space in terms of frequency you have to be mind full of that and not step on any toes.

One guy will probably lay down a solid groove like Anthony does in this clip. Which gives the other guy a chance to play lead over it like Victor does. The trick is to keep it simple, the bass really shines at playing the fundamental of a note, but lacks in other aspects. So if both bassists aren’t mindful of that the sound can get a bit muddied at times "which is why you'll see Victor in this clip, playing in a higher register, he's giving Anthony and himself room to work". But on the same note, that fundamental is very powerful... and if played well, it can sound absolutly amazing.

Perfect example... Anthony Wellington and Victor Wooten doing a duet together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUtfyKiA0mE
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Jun 14, 2011,
Alright! I don't know what style we plan on playing, but we'll see how it goes!