My friend and I have this Squier strat that we gutted. I want to know if it would be possible to take this Squier strat and convert it to a Gibson style guitar (and by that i mean, throw a tuneomatic bridge on it and angle the neck using a shim.) The strat has a vintage bridge, so we have the tremolo hole to deal with. We were planning on using a block of wood and wood putty to fill in the hole, then sanding it down so it's even on the front of the guitar. Also, would it be possible to put Gibson pickups on it, provided we rout out the pickup cavity to give the humbuckers enough room?

One of the potential problems I was thinking about was the difference in length between the Tune-o-matic and the vintage trem, and how different is the string spacing between the two? If the difference is too much then I'm guessing that the E strings will fret out and not line up with the fretboard well. Any suggestions?
"The most important thing about music is energy and emotion, not how well you can play. Technique should be a tool to achieve your vision, not the other way around."
-Jeff Tuttle

More guitar, less ultimate-guitar!
Even if it is possible, it definitely wouldn't be worth the effort.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
You could definitely put the pickups in it, but I would probably just block the vibrato system and put 5 springs in the back. Putting in a totally different bridge might not work, as you've imagined.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by biker521
My friend and I have this Squier strat that we gutted. I want to know if it would be possible to take this Squier strat and convert it to a Gibson style guitar (and by that i mean, throw a tuneomatic bridge on it and angle the neck using a shim.) The strat has a vintage bridge, so we have the tremolo hole to deal with. We were planning on using a block of wood and wood putty to fill in the hole, then sanding it down so it's even on the front of the guitar. Also, would it be possible to put Gibson pickups on it, provided we rout out the pickup cavity to give the humbuckers enough room?

One of the potential problems I was thinking about was the difference in length between the Tune-o-matic and the vintage trem, and how different is the string spacing between the two? If the difference is too much then I'm guessing that the E strings will fret out and not line up with the fretboard well. Any suggestions?

Just buy an Epi LP and not ruin the strat you might just want it one of these times...
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
'Gibson style' would also require set neck and a 24.75" scale
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Alright, so that ideas scratched. It's a cheap basswood body, any ideas on some good pickups for it? Because I know basswood is a light open grain wood, and i don't think it will handle the highs very well
"The most important thing about music is energy and emotion, not how well you can play. Technique should be a tool to achieve your vision, not the other way around."
-Jeff Tuttle

Last edited by biker521 at Jun 12, 2011,
I think we're going to put in a tele hardtail bridge by filling in the trem cavity with pieces of basswood and wood putty. I think we're going to put a dimarzio tone zone in the bridge slot and we're still not sure for the neck(single coil), maybe a lace sensor in the neck? what would be a good neck pickup for a basswood guitar?
-Jeff Tuttle

That lace probably costs more than the guitars worth but more power you. You're better off just trying to cut your own body if you have access to tools that can make a trem filler. Or check out rondo music they have a lot of guitars that are hybrid-ish between stuff sort of.
You can snag used PUs (Lace, SD, DM, etc.) for almost next to nothing through eBay, if you're patient. Of you're set on a Lace for the neck, make sure that it matches the bridge so it doesn't get under/overwhelmed when both are on. Basswood's fine, like most of Ibanez guitars.

what do you mean matches the bridge, you mean from the same pickup set? because i think im going to put a humbucker in the bridge. Do you guys think the tone zone is a good idea for the basswood?
-Jeff Tuttle

I would refer you to my aforementioned IronGear pups, but I've just realised you're in New York. Would probably still be a better deal than over-hyped Seymour Duncans or scarily expensive Laces though, even with transatlantic shipping added on.

IronGear are basically the very embodiment of value. They can easily match SD and DiMarzio at tiny prices.

Having said that, the value of them might not quite reflect once they've found their way to the States.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.