I am finally going to do some shielding on the Jackson. Right now there is no shielding at all on the control cavity I already have the bridge grounded even though the manual said you don't have to ground the bridge because the ZW Set EMG's were grounded internally. I tried it without the bridge grounded and there was no way there was just way to much hum going on it had to be grounded. So I was going to use foil. But found some foil tape and just doubled it up on the back side of the control plate. And I will probably also use the same stuff inside the control cavity. Is there anything I need to know or anything extra I can do to make this thing more quiet when I take my hands off of the strings. Its really bad when I turn the volume down and let go. I'm using a Peavey Triple XXX Super 40 EFX amp and I really only use the ultra channel and my gain is all the way up most of the time and even it its only 1/2 way it still gets alot of noise these Jackson aren't shielded good so I'm jumpin in any suggestion will be awesome thanks
Quote by shredspillers
I am finally going to do some shielding on the Jackson. Right now there is no shielding at all on the control cavity I already have the bridge grounded even though the manual said you don't have to ground the bridge because the ZW Set EMG's were grounded internally. I tried it without the bridge grounded and there was no way there was just way to much hum going on it had to be grounded. So I was going to use foil. But found some foil tape and just doubled it up on the back side of the control plate. And I will probably also use the same stuff inside the control cavity. Is there anything I need to know or anything extra I can do to make this thing more quiet when I take my hands off of the strings. Its really bad when I turn the volume down and let go. I'm using a Peavey Triple XXX Super 40 EFX amp and I really only use the ultra channel and my gain is all the way up most of the time and even it its only 1/2 way it still gets alot of noise these Jackson aren't shielded good so I'm jumpin in any suggestion will be awesome thanks

I have that amp, why would you turn the gain all the way up? Its gonna be noisy no matter what guitar you use in that case.

If your gonna shield it, I wouldn't bother doing so with active pickups they are supposed to be quiet anyways, make sure you avoid ground loops.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Shielding will do absolutely nothing with EMGs. The EMGs are shielded internally already. What's the rest of your signal chain? What kind of cables are you using? What's the power like in your area?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
The XXX is very noisy with any kind of hot humbuckers you have, whether they are passive or active. I would suggest getting a noise gate to supress the noise. I have owned the Super 40 and now own the 120 watt head, and both of them were unplayable without a noise gate due to the amount of feedback you get back.
well thanks guys for the feedback. Maybe I need to just work on the grounding of my Kahler 2315 bridge. I think everything else is fine its just when I let go of the strings and take my hand off of the Kahler and when I touch the knobs it quiets down but not as fast as touching the bridge. I had a ESP JH600 a week ago but sent it back do to a few flaws that guitar was so quiet. I wouldn't hear anything at all even with the urltra gain at 10. When I put the EMG's in the manual says not to ground the bridge and I tried it without grounding it and was terrible it had to be grounded. But even before I put the EMG pups in it still made noise when I wasn't touching anything. Another thing I will mention is when the volume knob is all the way turned down to zero the noise is a little bit more than when the volume knob is all the way up. That's why I was thinking about shielding the control cavity. That JH600 was awesome zero noise absolutely nothing and it has the same EMG pups but it doesn't have the inner connect pots. Maybe that's what's going on here I don't know.
Last edited by shredspillers at Jun 12, 2011,
Is there anything touching inside the guitar that shouldn't be? When I first got my 2003 Flying V I literally spent weeks trying to figure out where the hum was coming from, I finally gave up (which is unusual for me) and took it to a few local guitar shops. Ended up going to three different places and the owner of the last one noticed the cap was just grazing against another lug. Simply bending the cap a little more one way fixed the problem.

EMG's shouldn't hum like you're talking about, I would double check the controls to make sure everything's tidy...
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
yea I'm taking it apart again. I hate getting the control cavity because there is no room at all in there. As a matter of fact I did a 18v. mod to the EMG's but the noise was already there before I did that. But anyways I actually had to order shorter pots from EMG and get a new short toggle switch just to be able to get the 2 9v. batt. in the control cavity. Anyone who has looked inside the RR Jackson control cavity you can see that there is no rook. I will post a few pic's later of the EMG install and then you can see what it looks like and how much room I have to deal with. I was almost thinking about installing a batt. holder on the back of the guitar just because I hate dealing with opening the control cavity to change batt's