Hey I've got a fender MIM P-bass. On the A, D and G strings I get a very clear and crisp tone, but my E string just seems muddy compared to the others. Noticeably muddy, enough so that it causes issues when playing something on higher strings then switching to the E.

I mostly play guitar and only play this very rarely, so im not sure when it started. I haven't changed the strings on it in a while because I wasnt interested in spending the money on something I rarely play. But as I said I haven't played it very much either. I did just get a set up done on it pretty recently though.

My first thought would be that it was a pickup issue, but it seems like its noticeably muddier than the other strings even when playing it acoustically. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be? Could it be as simple as its a bad string and changing the strings will fix it?

Any help will be appreciated.
Quote by lefty_strat_str
Only buy guitars that have had their wood harvested from the north side of the tree, during the summer solstice, by virgin druids suffering from dwarfism. Next stupid question, please.
It's just bad strings change them
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I've had this exact problem since I put a set of Roto 77s on my MIM Deluxe P. I'm hoping it's just the string that's dodgy.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
I've had this exact problem since I put a set of Roto 77s on my MIM Deluxe P. I'm hoping it's just the string that's dodgy.

I've found Roto's 77 E and low B sound a bit muddy IMO.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by dark Mass
I've found Roto's 77 E and low B sound a bit muddy IMO.

Any suggestions for something similar with a better E string?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
Any suggestions for something similar with a better E string?

I like Thomastik and DR.

I also I like LaBella Original 1954 and Pyramid Golds though these are quite expensive.
Do you have any suggestions for a decent set of strings thats not so expensive? As I said I don't play bass much so Id prefer not to spend $50 on the strings. Are Ernie Balls or Fenders any good?
Quote by lefty_strat_str
Only buy guitars that have had their wood harvested from the north side of the tree, during the summer solstice, by virgin druids suffering from dwarfism. Next stupid question, please.
Really?

I've them on my Jazz and they have a brighter E string than the Roto 77's.
I've used D'Addario EXL 160's for decades. I've got Fender nylons on my fretless. Tried D'A's ProSteels. Very bright. Durable. But, they may have worn grooves into my nickel frets. Went back to the 160's. $20-$25 a set. Damn, I'm old. I remember paying $10 a set and thinking it was highway robbery. Many, many moons ago....
|
|
|
|
|
|

"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Last edited by deeptubes at Jun 13, 2011,