So I'm looking at getting a guitar from Rondo Music and I've narrowed it down to 2 likely candidates:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product4277.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/al3100tribalredslimgoldhw.html

And I'm wondering for suggestions. How good are the stock alnico pickups that would come in the tribal red? I'm definitely after a metal sound predominantly and I'm quite fond of the sound I get from my EMG81 armed LP Jr but for the saving I could be convinced to go for the tribal red plus I do like to dabble into older rock and cleaner stuff.

I have to get this shipped to Australia so I also need a case. Would I be significantly safer getting a flight case versus a normal hardshell case? Has anyone here had a guitar from Rondo shipped to Australia, any horror stories?
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
Based on what you've described I'd definitely get the Alnico equipped guitar and yes a steel flight case would obviously be stronger but things ship with insurance for a reason. If it shows up smashed you get a new one. So, buy a case that fits what you need down the road. A flight case will be heavier and may not be necessary if you don't plan on shipping it around a lot.

In other words, it is not your responsibility to make sure it ships to you intact. I have no experience with Rondo so bump for ya.
The blue has a pair of EMGs, I figure that accounts for the difference.
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212
The red one looks pretty damn good.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Hmmm, I'm still debating which to go for, the blue is tempting just for the pair of EMGs but the red is sexy as hell. Does anyone know if I ship in a flight case will it clear customs unmolested or is the metal shell likely to cause problems with an xray scanner and force them to open it?
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212
1.) Don't buy a guitar based on the color.
2.) You have a guitar with EMGs already.
3.) You might prefer passives. I do.
4.) Alnico's can do metal and you want to dabble in older rock.
5.) If you want a blue guitar with EMGs buy the first one.

Yeah, colour and look wasn't a big deciding factor but came in given my uncertainty about pickups and the price difference. Thanks for the opinion.

Can anyone shed any light on if customs will likely open it if I ship with an aluminium flight case like this one off rondo:

http://www.rondomusic.com/ec4100gg.html

Also is anyone familiar with Fedex's insurance policies? Is insurance included with all their services, according to rondo it will ship Fedex International Economy. Looking at their terms and conditions I believe it's covered as long as it's packed properly and I follow common sense dealing with it on arrival, e.g. have any damage to the packaging noted when i sign it, photograph packaging before opening.
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212
Customs will most definitely want to open it.
I'm not an expert in international shipping or customs practices.
I'm thinking the guitar will not ship in the flight case anyway - unless that is a service they offer.
I'd think you'd get two separate packages.
Do not accept the package if it has obvious damage.
Take pictures as you open it.
With rondomusic it's stated as a requirement to purchase a case with international shipments and that the guitar will be placed in it, thanks again for your time.
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212
I went ahead with the blue EMG 81/85 packed AL-3100. Now I'm just eagerly awaiting it's arrival, I was butchered by shipping costs but I think it will still be worth it compared to what's available locally as long as Agile live up to their rep. I looked up my tracking number and had a moment of panic when it said it was in Lebanon, now I know there's a Lebanon in NH USA.
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212
IT'S HERE SITTING AT MY FEET AT WORK! I'll have to wait until I get home to play it plugged in but it's all intact, looking and feeling great. Not bad, 4 business days from NH to Perth Western Australia.

I'll post up an NGD when I get the chance.
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212
Here's a quick snap from my HTC:

My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212
It says on the Rondo page that they ship with black EMGs rather than chrome like in their images. I'm contemplating seeing if I can find someone that wants black ones though and would trade chrome ones for them.
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212