Well, having no way to spray my guitar to do this effect, and in order to keep it cheap, i learned the rub-on method using leather dye. theres not a lot of definite info out there that i found to show how to do this, and some of the methods didnt work for me, so i made this video to show how to do it.

it worked really well!

Video how-to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-vD3Uqa4HI

The basics are:
0- mix your dye with a little denatured alcohol and water, and keep your wood damp
1- let your base color set overnight
2- start with a strong mixture for your outer color
3- start with a thin border all the way around the edge of the guitar, coming in about 3/4 an inch
4- when you get all the way around to where you started, youre going to work all the way around again, doubling the thickness of the line, and working in circular motions, rubbing the dye around
5- each time you get around to the start, double the thickness and continue in as far as you want to go
6- go back with a dry rag and in the same circular motions, go over the whole thickness and work around the guitar, drying up the dye
7- as youre doing this, rub the dye out toward the middle to create a fade from the edge of where you left the dye
8- repeat as many times as needed until the effect is to the desired darkeness

Notes:
1- Always keep the dye moving, do not let the dye sit in one spot too long or it will create a visible line
2- Using a clean rag with a little water on it, you can clean up the middle of the guitar of smudges etc to make sure you have the effect even around the edges
3- never let the dye sit too long on one spot
4- never let the dye sit too long on one spot
5- seriously, dont
6- do NOT try to do this in one sitting. you MUST let the inside color dry overnight

after a few layers of clear, heres how it looks. dont let the dull spots fool you, thats where i wet sanded some, a little buffing will make it shine like new!

Last edited by xadioriderx at Jun 15, 2011,
thanks man! the edges will be black, and its going to have faux binding. so its got a ways to go, but im happy with where ive gotten so far =)
this dye has absolutely great color, and cost about 8 bucks for both bottles, they should last quite a while too =D
Sweet! BTW I bookmarked your site, great tricks on there. I think I will use it on my next build which I'm currently planning. It's gonna be a fender type tobacco burst though. And it might have hidden pickups... and no controls on the front... like I said planning, but it's lookin cool
Last edited by LeviMan_2001 at Jun 12, 2011,
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Sweet! BTW I bookmarked your site, great tricks on there. I think I will use it on my next build which I'm currently planning. It's gonna be a fender type tobacco burst though. And it might have hidden pickups... and no controls on the front... like I said planning, but it's lookin cool

that should be interesting, ill definitely be watching out for that build!
the fiebings dye comes in tons of colors on ebay, it was about 5-6 bucks a bottle shipped, then combined shipping. you can grab several and try some cool 3 tone bursts too.
you could probably use a brown, black, yellow, and red to do a cool tobacco burst, that could be really sweet
ill be adding more to the site as i go. i was really hoping i could get ideas that other people have used too, but so far none of that
i want to come back to add that you MUST be patient. you have to do the initial color, let it dry overnight, then do the outside color.
you CANNOT do it all in one run, dont even try.
i just last night had another go at this on the headstock, and decided that i could try and do it all in one sitting, or let it dry just a little in between. and it does NOT work. you will botch it big time and have to sand and start over. so i did.
and i let it dry overnight, and now its alright. you gotta wait, be patient.