When I read a book, I always imagine that the scenes take place in a place where I have been. For example, a scene may take place at my uncle's house. The colours of the room might be different, but it will still be the same house. I have this with all I read, they are always at some place I know well.
Now am I the only one?
I imagine a book as a movie.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
No, but if it makes you feel any less weird, whenever a particular facial expression is described in detail in a book then I must make that face.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
No I don't, and you may be the only one.

I think it's time we blow this scene
Get everybody and the stuff together
Okay
Let's jam

BLAAAAAAAM THIS CRAP
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I imagine a book as a movie.

This, and no you're not the only one. We had a class discussion about this a while back (it had something to do why some people don't like reading and some love reading), apparently people who visualize books tend to read more than people who don't.
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Martin OM-1 (acoustic)
Quote by Megendrio
This, and no you're not the only one. We had a class discussion about this a while back (it had something to do why some people don't like reading and some love reading), apparently people who visualize books tend to read more than people who don't.

That's pretty cool actually. I reread Guy Sajer's The Forgotten Soldier about a month back, and was thinking how amazing it would be as a mini-series, in the same vein as Band Of Brothers.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
When I read I make up the scenes in my head, maybe influenced by places I've seen, but never places I've been
I make up new places although they're most likely bits and pieces of other places I just don't make a real connection to it.

One book though I remember reading when I was young a few scenes were at a beach I used to frequent when I lived in another state.

edit:

I need a new book, been reading to much social and political humour books and need a novel.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Last edited by Teh Traineez0rz at Jun 12, 2011,
Quote by Megendrio

That's a bit of a generalisation, but who really knows. I defenitely visualise books as I read them - there wouldn't be much point otherwise, as they're meant to stimulate the imagination. Well, fiction at any rate.

But I've never heard of anyone visualising them just in places they know.

I think it's time we blow this scene
Get everybody and the stuff together
Okay
Let's jam

BLAAAAAAAM THIS CRAP
Yes, I do the same. I also do the 'imagine a book like a movie' thing. I guess my imagination lacks something.
I do this too, it's like I'm making a movie based on the book in my head.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by Zero-Hartman
That's pretty cool actually. I reread Guy Sajer's The Forgotten Soldier about a month back, and was thinking how amazing it would be as a mini-series, in the same vein as Band Of Brothers.

I loved that book, you're quite literally the first person I've come across who's read it.
Yes. For example, the part in A Clockwork Orange where Alex has to watch the torture films takes place in my uncle's lush, cozy home theater.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
I do, but not all the time.

And not to the same extent. Sometimes I imagine a whole new place up, but it ends up to be the exact same place every time it is mentioned.

This visualization thing is also the reason why I can't speed read. If I'm not playing out a movie in my head, it's not reading.
Quote by TheBurningFish
No, but if it makes you feel any less weird, whenever a particular facial expression is described in detail in a book then I must make that face.

^love this

nah i normally create whole new worlds... like St Petersberg for example. I sm dissapointed when I go there for real and its not as good
I just had to post this, didn't I.
Quote by triface
This visualization thing is also the reason why I can't speed read. If I'm not playing out a movie in my head, it's not reading.

Indeed, when you've finished a book you've speed read (something I often do when I have to read french books...uch, hate them...), I don't really have the feeling I read it at all. It just seems so hollow...
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Martin OM-1 (acoustic)
Quote by blackthought
I loved that book, you're quite literally the first person I've come across who's read it.

! So underrated, I've never met anyone who's read it either.

It's really powerful, the bit where they were in Gdansk and they were perplexed by the last ditch effort to send out old men and young boys out to fight really got to me. When he said that he saw lunches packed by the boy's mothers as they marched East to fight the Russians got me really sad

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I only ever seem to read Biographies these days. I'll have this incredible image of the location the person's describing, then I'll turn a page and there'll be a picture, totally different to how I imagined xD I think my mind's eye is faulty
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Well I don't do that!

But then most of what I read is either high fantasy or sci fi, and I think a castle or a space ship probably wouldn't look anything like my living room...
Every character in every book ever lives in a slightly darker version of my house
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I never do that. Then again I rarely read fiction anyways.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
Well I don't do that!

But then most of what I read is either high fantasy or sci fi, and I think a castle or a space ship probably wouldn't look anything like my living room...

I think a lot of it comes down to what you're reading. For example, making little movies where the events take place in familiar places would work great for something like Catcher in the Rye, or maybe even 1984. If I'm reading a fantasy novel then I typically imagine the places that I've seen in Kensai's photos.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by TheBurningFish

*tries to imagine you reading a sex scene in a public place*
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
*tries to imagine you reading a sex scene in a public place*

Quote by L2112Lif
I also have this and I'm always dissapointed by the actual movies that come after the books
Not necessarily the places I've been. Images pop into my head always visualizing every action of the characters like in a dream. I even hear someone narrating the lines for me