Hey UG,

Currently I am am trying to make a decision between staying in a band- school cover band that plays power chord based rock covers, so nothing incredible- or leaving to develop my technique and get jazz/classical lessons. I would do both but the problem is that I do not have enough time.

It should be noted that I am a extremely mediocre player- power chords, penatonic 'soloing' etc.- that wants to be able to play technical based music; jazz, prog rock, technical metalcore etc.

Overall would it be more beneficial-in this stage of my playing- to devote my time to improving my technique, entering the woodshed and getting everything 'right' and then joining a band or playing in a band and potentially- as in I'm not sure- not developing technique wise.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
PS.
I hope this is the right forum :O
So are you basically asking if it would be beneficial for you to get lessons, over practising loads on your own and staying in a band?

How come you can't be in a band and have lessons? Both of those things and good and will help you as a player.
QUIT THE BAND!!! Get lessons and practice twice as long. You'll always get another shot at another band but your skills will take time to master so QUIT THE BAND!!! At least take a break from the band. That way, you can come back to it and impress your bandmates.

BTW Get classical lessons ESPECIALLY if you want to play metal.
Last edited by Naruto00121 at Jun 12, 2011,
The more you do something, the faster you'll learn. Go ahead and join that band as well as getting lessons!
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Do both. Make time.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
I read in a Steve Vai interview that when he was a beginning guitarist, he took a year or two off and devoted it to technique development. Just don't get caught up in playing scales/technique...exclusively. It's easy to lose track of what guitar is all about (playing music), when you devote your time to developing technique. Make sure you practice songs too--that include the new scales/modes....
Well, what you should do depends on what you want to do...

Do you want to gig for a living? Play in a tech death band? Play shred covers for fun? Get chicks?

We can't answer this kind of question for you.
Quote by Freepower
Well, what you should do depends on what you want to do...

Do you want to gig for a living? Play in a tech death band? Play shred covers for fun? Get chicks?

We can't answer this kind of question for you.

I would like gig in the future- some metal or subgenre based-metal band and play a technical level.
The main question is what is more important dedicated technique driven practice or semi dedicated prac + band-chews up the majority of my practice time-. Is playing in the band worth the expirience because atm I don't have enough time to learn the stuff I want to play- metal core, prog rock etc.-

Thanks for all the responses so far.
Well, sounds like practice + band is right. You want to perform with a band? Then there's a lot more to it than your guitar playing, as I'm sure you're learning.

Is there really not enough time? Do you still watch TV?
Just learn the songs you want to play. Don't over complicate things with lessons. There is so much on the internet; use it.