The 31-day 1 song May compilation album is finally done!

original thread here:https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437837

You may have heard about the 31-day song challenge - essentially, you have 31 days to write and record an original song. I (finally ) got the go-ahead from Kensai, who created the original thread, to put together the compilation. Here is the finished compilation album for the May challenge, with 16 songs having been submitted.

The submissions cover genres as broad as singer/songwriter, electronica, metal and even contemporary music for clarinet ensemble. I urge you all to take a thourough listen 'cause there's quite some amazing stuff in there!

Tracklist:
1. some1fat - BluNex
2. Hakoon1 - 4 days down, life to go
3. JoshW27 - Untitled
4. Xiaoxi - Fhugal Rhapsody for Clarinets [score]
5. gothblade - City of Hypocrites
6. Rojam - Song 4
7. FireHawk - Love Was Never Enough
8. amaranth_todd - Electric Melancholy
9. SmElLy KiD - Jail-bait and Cougars
10. descara - Perplexity
11. musiclover2399 - 90
12. vultures?OMG - Cloud of Ducks
13. Felixblaze (Euphoric Noise) - Big Love
14. rockfan7 - My Stranger
15. laid-to-waste (Kenan Al-Shamie) - Sex with Giraffes
16. guitarben94 (Ben Corbett) - May Song

Everyone who tagged their song's "artist" info with something other than their username has had their UG username added with the original tag in paranthesis. The tracklist is in order of submission date. I hope the ID3 tags are up to snuff!

Album cover to add to your media library, courtesy of laid-to-waste: http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8596/wpmeshuggah8001.png

Download links (more coming):
http://www.mediafire.com/?42qocp49poj7f9k (rar)
http://www.mediafire.com/?4xo5wnrt0ygf57z (zip)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=22FFF527 (zip)

Hope it's okay I created a new thread for the release.

edit: lotsa stuff
Last edited by descara at Jun 12, 2011,
I can't thank you enough for doing this, you've been a massive help. Will download now and post back with CnC

if anybody could give me their thoughts on my track I'd appreciate it; it's track 15.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by laid-to-waste
I can't thank you enough for doing this, you've been a massive help. Will download now and post back with CnC

if anybody could give me their thoughts on my track I'd appreciate it; it's track 15.

I recall I quite enjoyed your track, especially the writing. I loved the electronic drums and sound effects (airplane? ). I would have liked it to a little tighter with regards to playing and mix (a bit treble-y? I'm not too knowledgable about those kind of things), and in the first half some of the syncopation in the bass drum felt a bit off, but all in all, very enjoyable.
For those of you who don't like album art-less music in their library, I've made an album cover:

EDIT: it wasn't a perfect square, I just changed it, sorry:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Do with it what you will.

Quote by descara
I recall I quite enjoyed your track, especially the writing. I loved the electronic drums and sound effects (airplane? ). I would have liked it to a little tighter with regards to playing and mix (a bit treble-y? I'm not too knowledgable about those kind of things), and in the first half some of the syncopation in the bass drum felt a bit off, but all in all, very enjoyable.

Thanks very much (: Yeah, it's electromagnetic activity recorded from Jupiter I believe.
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Jun 12, 2011,
Also, if you guys could all rename my song to 'Sex with Giraffes', that'd be good, seen as that's the name of the song. Sorry for the double posting.
^ Edited in the name to the post, might add that cover and re-upload later when/if more corrections come in. The free upload rate to mediafire etc is slooooow.
I just want to bump this and say I loved it all. The two contemporary pieces by descara and Xiaoxi were especially beautiful. Also, I loved City Of Hypocrites by gothblade.

Quote by descara
^ Edited in the name to the post, might add that cover and re-upload later when/if more corrections come in. The free upload rate to mediafire etc is slooooow.

Thanks. You don't have to though, you can just add the cover to the OP and add a few notes on changing things, too.
Gonna check it out right now. Any opinions/critics about my song btw?
Kombat Gear:

Last edited by some1fat at Jun 12, 2011,
          Quote by some1fat

It was quite cool. Kenan's was great as well.

I might be doing some more eloberate crits later, but I'm not in the mood right now.
          ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
          Quote by some1fat

Loved it. The hi-hat seems a little bit off though, and the drums in general seem to ruin the mood of the song. Also, you should put your palm closer to the end of the bridge when you palm mute, as it sounds muffled when you mute that close, and it even moves the note up by half a step.

I loved it in general, one of the really good ones (:

Quote by sfaune92
          It was quite cool. Kenan's was great as well.

I might be doing some more eloberate crits later, but I'm not in the mood right now.

Thanks man (:
          Quote by laid-to-waste
          Also, you should put your palm closer to the end of the bridge when you palm mute, as it sounds muffled when you mute that close, and it even moves the note up by half a step.

Thanks man! I didn't know that, gonna improve in the future.
          Kombat Gear:

Quote by Felixblaze
                  Cool stuff! Any critiques on mine? :O

Nice relaxing track, reminded me of The Cure and Interpol a bit. Maybe a catchy distinctable chorus should have been added... Can't really comment on vocal, but i liked the guitar parts.

I really liked the last five tracks. Good recording quality and content of the tracks.
                  Kombat Gear:

Last edited by some1fat at Jun 12, 2011,
                          We need one like these in July as well, so I can get the time to do a track as well.
                          ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
                          Quote by rockfan7
                          Any crit for mineee?

Best track on the album, imho. Reminded me of Radiohead and maybe a little of Chad VanGaalen.
                          Kombat Gear:

Quote by some1fat
                                  Best track on the album, imho. Reminded me of Radiohead and maybe a little of Chad VanGaalen.

Oh why thank you -goes to find out who Chad VanGaalen is-
                                  I kinda listened to some of them, will listen to the others later.
                                  Just some simple opinionated and really unimportant opinions from me

1. some1fat - BluNex
                                  EDIT* Reminded me of Pantera a bit

2. Hakoon1 - 4 days down, life to go
                                  EDIT* To me kinda sound like a continuation of above

3. JoshW27 - Untitled
                                  EDIT* Really gave way for the 4th track....it kinda fit...nice use of dynamics though

4. Xiaoxi - Fhugal Rhapsody for Clarinets [score]
                                  *Really impressed with the arrangement.

5. gothblade - City of Hypocrites
                                  *Mine, just realized it was really patchy :P

6. Rojam - Song 4
                                  *Awesome solos.

7. FireHawk - Love Was Never Enough
                                  *Great vocalist Who was singing in this?

*To me the best track, Really cool

9. SmElLy KiD - Jail-bait and Cougars
                                  * Didn't dig this too much though, then again I'm not much of a dance fanatic so yeah

10. descara - Perplexity
                                  EDIT * Damn so wonderfully dark and haunting....Good job

11. musiclover2399 - 90
                                  EDIT * Hmmm....couldn't get into it a bit...just something about your voice man

12. vultures?OMG - Cloud of Ducks
                                  EDIT * Really cool electronic track....nice use of dissonance

13. Felixblaze (Euphoric Noise) - Big Love
                                  *Reminds me of Andrew Eldritch a bit, A Cure -ey song

14. rockfan7 - My Stranger
                                  *This is just a solid track....really cool and bluesy.

15. laid-to-waste (Kenan Al-Shamie) - Sex with Giraffes
                                  *This was really cool though...Strangely soothing to me

*I really liked this one, Solid track
                                  Last edited by gothblade at Jun 13, 2011,
                                  ^thanks (:

your track was one of my favorites. who was singing?
                                  Quote by laid-to-waste
                                  ^thanks (:

your track was one of my favorites. who was singing?

Thanks man

Did that all by myself It was kinda rushed because I only had 2 days free time to write it. It's a good thing I got the lyrics a week before I made the instrumentations
                                  Quote by gothblade
                                  Thanks man

Did that all by myself It was kinda rushed because I only had 2 days free time to write it. It's a good thing I got the lyrics a week before I made the instrumentations

it's so abstract and wonderfully creepy, and i generally love your singing voice.
                                  Quote by laid-to-waste
                                  it's so abstract and wonderfully creepy, and i generally love your singing voice.

Thanks man

I enjoyed your track too....Really soothing for some reason.... It could be a soundtrack to some platform game really. Were those little cymbals things? really loved it when it went there while a creepy thingy was enveloping everything.
                                  Quote by gothblade
                                  *To me the best track, Really cool

Shows what using open-source software on linux can do
                                  Quote by amaranth_todd

Shows what using open-source software on linux can do

Wow you used linux?

Your track kinda reminded me of Switchblade Symphony for some reason
                                  Quote by gothblade
                                  Thanks man

I enjoyed your track too....Really soothing for some reason.... It could be a soundtrack to some platform game really. Were those little cymbals things? really loved it when it went there while a creepy thingy was enveloping everything.

Thanks (:

The weird noise approaching was actually electromagnetic 'voices' from Jupiter that I found on Youtube, sounded awesome, so I used it.
                                  Quote by laid-to-waste
                                  Thanks (:

The weird noise approaching was actually electromagnetic 'voices' from Jupiter that I found on Youtube, sounded awesome, so I used it.

I liked it....It was kinda therapeutic. Very creative use of a sample
                                  Awesome job, descara! Took a load off my shoulders

Also, nice job everyone! Heard some nice songs off of this.
                                  ████████████████████████████
                                  ███████████████████████████
                                  █████████████████████████
                                  ██████████████████████████
                                  Quote by Kensai

thanks for helping organise this (:
                                  Quote by gothblade

*I really liked this one, Solid track

Thanks man

Will download and have a listen tomorrow. I can't really see my song being a good ender to the whole thing though! Oh well :-P
                                  Quote by Kensai

No problem, thanks for organising! As you can see I got itchy and made a thread right away.

Quote by guitar ben94
                                  Thanks man

Will download and have a listen tomorrow. I can't really see my song being a good ender to the whole thing though! Oh well :-P

Nah, I think it worked just fine! In retrospect having the tracklist sorted by genre rather than submission date might've been more coherent, though.
                                  I can now tell my friends that I'm on a CD!

I love everything on this. Best on CD goes to me obviously!*

Also, allow me to use this time to advertise for my band. Check my signature.

*By me, I mean Xaioxi. Legit composing for sure bro.
                                  Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
                                  Last edited by Rojam at Jun 14, 2011,
                                  It took me an embarrassingly long time to find this...
                                  Will download now.
                                  A polar bear came to talk to me the other day....
                                  ...But then I realized...
                                  ...I don't own a coat, let alone firecrackers

Visit my Soundcloud, OR SUFFER.