I recently got a Jacksn DKMGT for dirt cheap from a guitar store that was going out of business. I really wasn't looking for one of these but I couldnt pass up the deal. The guitar itself, I love, great action nice neck and comfortable as hell. The pickups, EMG 85/81, not so much. They sound great for really high gain metal, but don't sound very good for alternative or grunge etc. I want this guitar to be a bit more versitile.

So, if I replace the EMGs with some lower output passive pickups, with this guitar sound ok? Any suggestions for a more versative and organic sounding pickup? And, do I have to change all the other electronics as well or just the pups.

Thanks...
hehe i got one a while back at a price i couldn't pass either. not personally changing the pickups as it's the only guitar i have with emgs and that's why i got it.

i don't see why it wouldn't sound good with lower output pickups. you'll have to change the pots too, I think.

what kind of budget do you have for the pickups? what's your location (country)? that affects prices and availability. what's your amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey mate, if your thinking of getting rid of the emg's them pm me and i will see if i can afford to buy them from you

Also if you like blackout then i could trade them?
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
I am in the USA, and price is not an issue.

I just want something that I can play more than just metal with. I know it would be easier to just trade the guitar for something different but this thing feels like a million bucks.

Once I get something else installed I can certainly put the EMGs up here for a good price. s per the post up there, I have heard the Blackouts aren't super versatile but I don't have any first-hand experience.
ah ok, thanks.

yeah i haven't tried blackouts either. from what i've heard they're not just as in-your-face as emgs, but i'm guessing they're not super-versatile either. I'd be looking at passives.

regarding options, it's really up to you. You can look at dimarzios or seymour duncans (which are sorta the middle-of-the-road option in the states, they're not the cheap rubbish, but they're not really the boutique option either (aside from custom shop duncans)), you can look a bit cheaper with the likes of tonerider, or you can look into the boutique handwound stuff like wcr etc. There are some cheaper handwinders too, like bg pickups and high order.

I've only tried duncans and dimarzio out of those.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the opinions. I am looking at some Duncans but there are tons of options so I need to read up.

Anyone know if the "hot rodded humbucker"(sh2/sh4) set is any good in a alder guitar like mine?
what type of versatility do you want? are you more keen on higher gain tones or lower gain?

fwiw, personally I think the JB is kinda weird (i realise it's a popular pickup; take what i'm going to say as you will). It's very hot (not EMG hot, but still pretty hot), to me it has a metal output, yet a rock voicing. It can be too bright yet too muddy at the same time. It has that really big upper mid peak too, and is very compressed.

For me anyway, I find it hard to use. By trying to be all things to all men, again in my opinion, it ends up being a jack of all trades, master of none.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by darkwolf291
If you want good metal tones and good cleans, you're gonna want passives.
Actives are good for metal, but are too high output to get any decent cleans from. If you're going to actives, you're gonna need new pots too.

What if I am going from active to passives, do I need new pots as well?

Also, if anyone could reccomend what pots to get for going to passives I would be very thankful. I dont have a clue about them.
I've got some extremely good alternative/grunge tones out of EMG's. You just need a good amp that's been EQ'ed appropriately. If they are too hot for your amp's input just roll off the guitar's volume a bit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah he just got confused, i think he thought you were going from passive to active

you need new pots either way.

i think generally you use 500k ohm pots for humbuckers (check first, though- go to the duncan site and hit up the faqs, it should be in there somewhere). However, i seem to remember reading somewhere that the jb was designed to work with 250k pots.

Dunno. but for most 'buckers, as far as i can remember, you generally want 500k.

EDIT: i can't remember what you normally use for the tone pot, you'd need to look that up.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ah ok, thanks. i couldn't remember if they were the same value for both or not.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the help guys. I have a friend who is going to sell me a set of dimarzio "tonezone" pickups for next to nothing so I will give em a shot and see how it goes. I have no clue what to expect from them but it's worth a shot.
they're pretty dark-sounding.

should work fine in the bridge, unless you like brighter tones. not too sure about the neck, though. but i mean if you're getting them cheap you might as well try them, and if you don't like them, sell them on or something.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?