I need a cab, and don't want to spend a ton of $ on it. I play mostly in my room, occasionally with my friends, and I have a Marshall head. At GC and online I see amps like Raven, Kustom, and Crate for much cheaper than other amps. For example, there was a Crate 4x12 used for $79.99 at GC yesterday, a Kustom 4x12 for $160. Is the quality really that bad? Thanks to anyone that has any experience with these!
Last edited by CBNJ at Jun 12, 2011,
I would go for Kustom, best quality out of those three (imo).

edit: It also depends on what kind of sound you're after. Different speakers (biggest price difference) give different sound.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Last edited by von gelb at Jun 12, 2011,
is the crate a bloo voodoo cab? those are pretty decent on the cheap. if it's not a crate bloo voodoo i'd pass.

kustom and raven have no chance honestly.

check your local craigslist for a decent $200 2x12 cab.

i'm almost afraid to ask what marshall head.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
With cabs... you really do get what you pay for.

Typically cheaper cabs tend to have lower quality construction and materials... which will directly impact the sound.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
So what size/model would you guys generally recommend? I'm looking for a heavyish sound.

Quote by gregs1020
is the crate a bloo voodoo cab? those are pretty decent on the cheap. if it's not a crate bloo voodoo i'd pass.

kustom and raven have no chance honestly.

check your local craigslist for a decent $200 2x12 cab.

i'm almost afraid to ask what marshall head.

I got a Marshall 3310 from my friend for $25.
oh, yea, the quiet one. my bad.

try to find a decent avatar 212 for under $300.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
A heavy-ish sound would be more from your amp than the speakers.

Generally I'd advise you to spend a little more on your cab. I think the amp's probably average, but good speakers can help with the sound quality, while the cab's construction will impact your bass.

Spend more on a better quality cab... like search CL for an Avatar or something. At least when you sell off the head, you can keep your cab for your next amp.

Do check your amp's load impedance first tho.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
How do you play through the amp with no cab? /trollface.jpg

but really, wouldn't you have one already?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by IronMaiden76
How do you play through the amp with no cab? /trollface.jpg

but really, wouldn't you have one already?

Nope! Up until now I've just played bass and always had a combo amp, so I'm starting to play guitar.

How about the Marshall MG412, any good?
NO... the MG cabs are SHIT.

You get better tone making a cab out of Styrofoam, glue and ducttape.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Just get a 1x12" or 2x12". Better to have a good, small cab than a shitty big one. Where in Jersey are you located? We can dig through craigslist a little and see what pops up.
Cabs come up on Jersey CL all the time.
I've seen Marshall 1960's listed from anywhere between $200 and 400
There's been a shortage lately though. Lots or Crate cabs and peavey toneblaster cabs or people selling marshalls, but both the head and cab only.
What's your budget?
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Jun 12, 2011,
Quote by TheQuailman
Just get a 1x12" or 2x12". Better to have a good, small cab than a shitty big one. Where in Jersey are you located? We can dig through craigslist a little and see what pops up.

Yeah, good point. I'm in Northern New jersey, in Passaic County.

Cabs come up on Jersey CL all the time. I've seen Marshall 1960's listed from anywhere between $200 and 400 There's been a shortage lately though. Lots or Crate cabs and peavey toneblaster cabs or people selling marshalls, but both the head and cab only. What's your budget?

I'd like to keep it around $300 or less, as I'm not THAT serious into guitar yet, but I would spend more if it was worth it.
Everything I can find on CList is either shit or beyond the $300-mark. I guess it's better to wait unless you can find something good on ebay. :/
Quote by TheQuailman
Everything I can find on CList is either shit or beyond the $300-mark. I guess it's better to wait unless you can find something good on ebay. :/

Yeah it seems like it. How much of a difference is there between a cheap cab and a high quality one? Is it like night and day?
Quote by TheQuailman

Yup. Craigslist here sucks.
http://cnj.craigslist.org/msg/2432357891.html
You MAY be able to talk that down. Doesn't hurt to try.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Jun 12, 2011,
Quote by CBNJ
Yeah it seems like it. How much of a difference is there between a cheap cab and a high quality one? Is it like night and day?

Well... cab construction matters. The dimensions have a big impact on a cab's sound, and you don't want something built so shoddily that it starts to rattle at higher volumes.

The biggest problem is that cheap cabs usually come with cheap speakers, and except for very few exceptions, cheap speakers suck. And the cheap speakers that don't suck aren't suitable for heavy music really.

If you want it really really cheap while still being decent, you might just pick up a used speaker and make your own cab - that can be done for under 100 bucks, but it's a huge pain in the ass if you're new to wood working.