I'm having to move soon into a house in which I can't take my amp. Disaster, I know! To counter this I intend to buy a V-amp 3 & set of headphones.

For this sort of set up is it necessary to get a set of studio headphones? Having done a bit of research I've often seen the AKG K 240 recommended (http://www.dv247.com/headphones/akg-k-240-mk-ii-stereo-studio-headphones--51666). Now, I'm just a poor student and as these cost a good £80 (more than the V-amp!) I'm hesitant and wondering if they really are necessary?

Any opinions on the V-amp? So far, from what I've read, heard & seen it just seems great value - even despite the 'behringer' name!

(If this would be better in the recording forum or anything feel free to move it - I just put it here as I don't actually intend to record with it [yet...]).

Thanks
Adam
First of all, I would look at the Digitech rp155. I heard that it is better than the v amp 3. I'm going to get the rp355.

For the headphones, you don't need anything fancy. I have the Sennheiser hd202 headphones and they work great and they are under $30.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I use my WESC headphones when I practice late (and need to be quiet).
I've got some friends who own a V-Amp and some say it's great, others say it's just a POS living up to the Behringer name... I'd buy a Line6 POD if I were you.
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Martin OM-1 (acoustic)
I like Pods, but if this is for simple convenient, grab your guitar and play kinda practicing, I would recommend the Vox AmPlugs. I personally use a pod if I'm doing headphone practicing / demoing, but if I just feel like playing casually, I'll use my AmPlug.

EDIT: Sorry, should've actually read your post and not skimmed XD I personally just use a pair of RCA Noise Cancelling headphones *shrug* 40 bucks and they work.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Last edited by Slash_is_a_God at Jun 12, 2011,
Cheers for the quick responses. What I seem to be getting here is that just for practicing studio headphones aren't really a necessity, so I'll probably just start with some cheapish ones and upgrade later - if I actually get round to any recording.

I'll have a look into the RP155, any opinions on that vs. the V-amp? From looking at it, the V-amp does seem much easier to tweak...

Unfortunately I can't really afford a POD - at least not one with anything like the same feature set - which is a shame, as I used to own a flextone and so have loads of Line6 patches already.
Adam
Quote by adzlee123
Cheers for the quick responses. What I seem to be getting here is that just for practicing studio headphones aren't really a necessity, so I'll probably just start with some cheapish ones and upgrade later - if I actually get round to any recording.

I'll have a look into the RP155, any opinions on that vs. the V-amp? From looking at it, the V-amp does seem much easier to tweak...

Unfortunately I can't really afford a POD - at least not one with anything like the same feature set - which is a shame, as I used to own a flextone and so have loads of Line6 patches already.

If you use the x edit software with the rp155, it will be really easy to edit patches. You just need a type b USB cable to connect it to your computer. If you spend a little more, you can get the rp255 which comes with a built in expression pedal that can be used for wah, whammy, volume and many other parameters.

Also, are you looking for amp modeling, effects, distortion, or all of the above?
I'm not particularly bothered about effects etc. some would be nice but I'm keeping my 'real' amp and pedals for any serious stuff, this is just for quiet practicing in situations where I can't use my amp.

Having done a bit more reading, I'm leaning towards the V-amp, mainly because it comes packaged with some recording software - which could be very useful, as it stops me spending anything else on that if decide to record at some point. I know the RP can record, but I presume that you would need additional software to do so?
Adam
Quote by adzlee123
I'm not particularly bothered about effects etc. some would be nice but I'm keeping my 'real' amp and pedals for any serious stuff, this is just for quiet practicing in situations where I can't use my amp.

Having done a bit more reading, I'm leaning towards the V-amp, mainly because it comes packaged with some recording software - which could be very useful, as it stops me spending anything else on that if decide to record at some point. I know the RP can record, but I presume that you would need additional software to do so?

No you don't, it comes with Cubase le 4 recording software.

Edit: Sorry, the rp155 does not come with Cubase le 4 software but the rp255 and up models do.
Last edited by kutless999 at Jun 12, 2011,
Cheers for the info. Well that's something to think about then. Does anybody else have any experience with the V-amp? Or any of the RP line of processors? Or, any other options in the <£100 range?
Adam
Oh I forgot, the rp155 has a built in 20 second looper and a drum machine, if you like that stuff.
hey man .. if you want a v-amp 2 .. i have one in my garage which i dont use anymore ... i could almost give it to you if you want .. pay the shipping + a little extra and ill throw it over .

they arent very great unit imo .. but to play with headphone , they might do the job .

as a bedroom guitarist who play with headphones 100 % of the time at home , ive had many gear

behringer v-amp 2 : not bad for a unit that cost me 60 $ .. but nothing stellar there .. it feel digital . 6/10.

vox amplug (ac30 and metal ) : they are fun and sound good .. put 2 AA battery and its portable everywhere .

vox tonelab : a lot better than the v-amp 2 imo .. but the heapdhone jack deceive me a lot .

( this is where is get better )

i bought a rocktron voodu valve online for 225 $ used .. Best preamp ive heard so far .. through heapdhone also . the speaker simulation is just great on it . its not a modeler , but distortion and effect are stellar .. thats quality gear .. not cheap modeller . if oyu can find one for around 300 .. this is way better than the v-amp .

the ultimate solution is coming next month or in 2 month for me : The new AXE FX II .. the new axe fx now has a heapdhone output ... and the speaker simulation was improve for direct recording /p.a use .. it now feature IR IMPULSE .. so its gonna be legen..dary . if you can put 2100 $ on a single preamp/studio quality unit .. this is gonna be the ultimate studio in a bedroom . Im gonna buy it as soon as they have it in stock ( its coming out pretty soon ) .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Cheers for the offer, but seeing as you're in Canada and I'm in the UK, I think the shipping would cost more than me just buying one new!

Those Axe FX units do look pretty ridiculous, but not anywhere near my price range unfortunately!
Adam
I think the v amp 3 will be good for you if you don't mind not having an expression pedal and a looper. Have fun playing with it!
Cheers man. Definitely not bothered about the expression pedal. Looper does sound useful, I think I'm just going to delay the purchase a little bit and do what I should have done all along - actually drive to the store (it's quite a way) and try them out. Thanks for all your help!
Adam
Ok, have fun trying them out! Tell us which one you choose.
Which one did you get?
Haha, still thinking about it man. But I think i'm going to go for the RP - more features, and more live friendly. I did try it out the other day and wasn't too impressed, but I had a little chat over in the DSP thread and checked out some youtube videos/reviews etc. and it seems with tweaking and an actually passable guitar/amp (i had to try it through a frontman with an encore strat copy, which was the worst guitar I've ever played) it can sound pretty good.

Also, been able to find very few opinions on the V-amp, and the ones that I could find none were too impressive. Plus, the RP has a Whammy :p

I'll order it today I think (so much cheaper online), and give you a little review on Friday. Cheers for your help!
Adam
Quote by adzlee123
Haha, still thinking about it man. But I think i'm going to go for the RP - more features, and more live friendly. I did try it out the other day and wasn't too impressed, but I had a little chat over in the DSP thread and checked out some youtube videos/reviews etc. and it seems with tweaking and an actually passable guitar/amp (i had to try it through a frontman with an encore strat copy, which was the worst guitar I've ever played) it can sound pretty good.

Also, been able to find very few opinions on the V-amp, and the ones that I could find none were too impressive. Plus, the RP has a Whammy :p

I'll order it today I think (so much cheaper online), and give you a little review on Friday. Cheers for your help!

No problem. I hope you like it.

p.s. My rp355 should be coming any day now and I'll give a review of it over in the reviews section of UG.