Hi,

I'm graduating high school in two weeks and I'd like to take my guitar with me next year when I go to college, problem is I own a tube amp and I guess my roommate en fellow students won't really appreciate my playing very much while they're studying.

So I'm wondering: what do you guys use in your dorms? I was thinking a transistor amp with headphones but the rooms aren't that big and I can use all the space I can get.

I mostly play "Blues/Rock/Garage/Grunge"-like stuff.

Budget: I don't really know yet, I've got a job this summer so I'll earn some cash, but I still have to buy a laptop as well, but I guess it would be around 200-300 euros.

Thanks,
Stef
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Martin OM-1 (acoustic)
Same situation. Roland micro cube, got one. Very happy, has everything one could want.

"I guess my roommate en fellow students won't really appreciate my playing very much while they're studying."

And if you think theyll be studying your wrong.
I haven't moved out to uni yet but I bought a Blackstar HT-1 in preparation for this exact problem, I reckon it should do the job nicely.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm in the same boat.

I'm taking an acoustic that I can hook up to an amp if I want and probably a small 15 watt amp with a headphone jack in case I want to play something heavier.
Line6 Pod ftw! Headphones into it for late night silent jamming.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
grab an audio interface like the line6 pod studio gx. or even something with a few more features. allows you to play through your computer using amp modelling. with the ammount of free amp sims out there, going along those lines is the best option for quiet/silent playing.
when i was in college thats what i did, then picked up a cheap little used amp for any time i wanted to be louder than computer speakers. still tended to use the interface, and i still do years later.
i used a line 6 podxtlive in my dorm
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I got a line 6 UX2. Comes with PODfarm, a very simple to use and decent sounding amp sim software. Some of the stock tones are ok, some are garbage, but with some tweaking you can create some good tones suited to your liking. I also have a M-audio Oxygen 49 keyboard, some decent Shure professional headphones, and Apple Logic. Best little home/dorm room set up I could ask for on a budget.
Pod

or

Audio Interface + computer + Guitar Rig / Peavey ReValver
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
get a Two Rock
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
i used a Peavey Bandit 112 and a Zoom G2 pedal. Its about the only way i could here myself over everyone watching Glee and blasting rap -_- also VERY useful for drowning out my roommates Miley Cyrus and Taylor swift :P
Vox Pathfinder. Probably the nicest sounding SS practice amp I've tried.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
POD + headphones

It gives you versatility, recording ability, portability and silence for your dorm friends. And it can be easily shoved under a bed if you have a tiny dorm.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Studying in college dorms, yeah right.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
pod hd desktop!

i would not be able to stand dorms i think, thats why after i take a year off im gonna live in an apartment with the bassist of my band whos gonna be going to the same school
Thanks for all the answers!

I took a look at the POD's and stuff and the recording ability is great but we've got a homestudio so it would be purely to practice (I'm going home on the weekends).
So I checked out the Multieffects, which are also interesting because I can use'm when I'm rehearsing with my band, and I'm torn up between the VOX ToneLab EX and the BOSS ME70. They're in the same price categorie, so any thoughts on that?

The difference between the POD 2.0 and the two multieffects is at max €100 (the X3 is practically the same as the multies).
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Martin OM-1 (acoustic)
I'm in a uni/college dorm...I'm going to be buying an Egnater Renegade and a 2x12 cab soon...and at present I've got my Peavey Bandit 112 and pedalboard here. It's not that big of a deal, to have your full rig, provided you play it during respectable hours and not be a dick if people ask you to turn it down a bit.

EDIT: Though I will admit, if I want to play at some stupid hour, I usually just run through my old MultiFX unit, then Garageband and headphones.