Page 1 of 3
I was wanting to hear some other peoples comments on religious metal bands such as August Burns Red. It doesn't have to be specifically Christian, but if you have any religious metal bands that you'd like to talk about I'd love to hear anything, because it seems to me that religion and metal don't seem to fit too well together. I'd like to hear about some success stories of religious metal bands actually making it into the metal music industry and having an impact on it.

First: Don't post negative comments on someones religious beliefs because that's just disrespectful.

Second: This isn't a thread for you to preach your religion either. I just wanna hear about how religion and metal mix.

Third: General discussion on bands that dont preach a religion in their music is acceptable but let's stay on topic.
Religions are different takes on the same eternal truths, therefore, it works as a mere flavouring to metal's prevalent themes.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by The Wildchild
Religions are different takes on the same eternal truths, therefore, it works as a mere flavouring to metal's prevalent themes.

I understand where you're coming from but does that mean that religion and metal will never work? And what themes are you talking about? As far as I can tell, personally metal is a lot of overdrive and screaming into a michrophone. I'm not dissing on metal but thats what I think of when I think of metal and thats what I like about it. But is it possible to bring your religion into metal?
Quote by Snickers Bowman
I understand where you're coming from but does that mean that religion and metal will never work? And what themes are you talking about? As far as I can tell, personally metal is a lot of overdrive and screaming into a michrophone. I'm not dissing on metal but thats what I think of when I think of metal and thats what I like about it. But is it possible to bring your religion into metal?

strong personality, war, religion, bikers
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
August Burns Red have got a good view on it
As they don't shove religion down people's throats
Quote by Snickers Bowman
But is it possible to bring your religion into metal?

It's been done but I find it paradoxical and counter-productive to pursue such thematic content in metal because traditionally this genre is highly anti-religious.
Quote by Highelf04

Yeah, they just tell everyone else they're wrong. Which is much better.
I hope you didn't take that as a negative comment I was just looking for clarification. So religion plays a role in metal? Well how big?
Quote by Snickers Bowman
is it possible to bring your religion into metal?

Yes, it is, but there is no guarantee as to whether it would work for or against you. Most of the time it's the latter because bands focus on bringing religious gimmickry to the forefront instead of the actual substance or essence of metal, Horde, for example.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Stryper ftw
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by Highelf04

But the lead singer and the drummer have their own ministry, YourLife Ministries.
Last edited by Snickers Bowman at Jun 12, 2011,
To me, its a giant walking contradiction. But really, music can be whatever you want it to be, so be it.

Isn't As I lay Dying a Christian band?

I think the whole anti-Christian poetry metal thing works out better if you ask me, like Lamb of God.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
so if you're asking about religious metal why are we talking about non metal bands like August Burns Red and As I Lay Dying?

Sumdeus
Quote by The Wildchild
Yes, it is, but there is no guarantee as to whether it would work for or against you. Most of the time it's the latter because bands focus on bringing religious gimmickry to the forefront instead of the actual substance or essence of metal, Horde, for example.

Substance or essence of metal? I thought you said that religion was a role in the Metal industry? I understand what you mean about it could work for or against you but what I find interesting about it is that it's a contradiction in itself.
Quote by romencer17
so if you're asking about religious metal why are we talking about non metal bands like August Burns Red and As I Lay Dying?

Haha, again, should've seen that one coming too...
Quote by romencer17

Because they may not be metal to ELITISTS, but like it or not, their sub-genre is derived from metal, so they count.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Snickers Bowman
Substance or essence of metal? I thought you said that religion was a role in the Metal industry? I understand what you mean about it could work for or against you but what I find interesting about it is that it's a contradiction in itself.

As I have said (quite vaguely), religion in its purest form is a metaphorical understanding of nature, not a tool of oppression or what some people have turned it into.

How is incorporating a metaphorical understanding of nature into metal a contradiction in itself when metal is centered on the exact same thing?
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Last edited by The Wildchild at Jun 12, 2011,
Quote by Vypor
Because they may not be metal to ELITISTS, but like it or not, their sub-genre is derived from metal, so they count.

uh, no. A derivative does not necessarily equal its parent.
The reason I'm asking about religion in metal is because I find it interesting that someone can use metal as a way to get closer to their religion/god. Although I would also find it interesting if someone was screaming in spanish...
I'm neutral. I don't think Christian lyrics are any cheesier than Satanic/gore imagery. In practice, most Christian metal I come across is lame and derivative. If a band like Stryper had been releasing metal on par with Celtic Frost and Mercyful Fate in the 80s, I'd listen to them all the time.

Also, Satan is cooler than God.
Last edited by Iommianity at Jun 12, 2011,
Quote by The Wildchild
How is incorporating a metaphorical understanding of nature into metal a contradiction in itself when metal is centered on the exact same thing?

What I meant by that is that I don't know too many religions that use screaming and overdrive to get closer to their religion/god.
I think it works just fine. I understand initially metal wasn't founded for any religious messages, but is a walking contradiction. Metal is more about a sound and style than any topical exposure. Christians (and other religious people) can just as easily like heavy music as completely non-religious, or in some cases anti-religious, people can.

In terms of success stories, obviously As I Lay Dying is one of the bigger acts. Even had a Grammy nomination if I remember correctly. Living Sacrifice is another group. They have been around for close to 20 years, if not more.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
uh, no. A derivative does not necessarily equal its parent.

Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
First, metal is not "screaming and overdrive" for the sake of having "screaming and overdrive". There is an underlying value to it, which mainly is the representation of the power of nature, which religion itself is built upon. Religion is not mere gimmickry, you know.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
i am a total diehard athiest, and i dont mind some religious metal. as long as they dont preach, or anything. like as i lay dying. also people shouldnt be judged on their religion. same with race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. as long as their songs arent bible excerpts for the sake of representing god, getting loser to god blah blah blah...
Last edited by ETHANEVIL at Jun 12, 2011,
Quote by Vypor
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

THANK YOU!!!!! finally someone agrees with me...
Quote by Vypor

Well you see, hardcore isn't metal. They're separate entities, whether some artists take influence from both or not.
Quote by The Wildchild
First, metal is not "screaming and overdrive" for the sake of having "screaming and overdrive". There is an underlying value to it, which mainly is the representation of the power of nature, which religion itself is built upon. Religion is not mere gimmickry, you know.

Again, what I meant by "screaming and overdrive" is that that's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of metal. As wrong as that may be, it's the truth for me. And if I want to listen to some metal then I expect "screaming and overdrive."
I thought you said religion is used as a gimmick for some metal bands?
Quote by Vypor

Hardcore is not metal. At all. There are many blends of hardcore and metal, but they are different styles of music. Not everything that sounds extreme to you is metal.

Sumdeus
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
Well you see, hardcore isn't metal. They're separate entities, whether some artists take influence from both or not.

All music dates back to classical. (which was RELIGIOUSLY based)
Wildchild, I applaud that you're actually taking this seriously, personally, I'm on the edge.

Of course religion and metal work, look at how many occult/pagan metal bands there are. The reason there are less judeo-christian bands, and the reason why they are looked down up is because those particular religions have several ideas that go against nature.
Quote by Snickers Bowman
Again, what I meant by "screaming and overdrive" is that that's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of metal. As wrong as that may be, it's the truth for me. And if I want to listen to some metal then I expect "screaming and overdrive."
I thought you said religion is used as a gimmick for some metal bands?

Then you haven't gotten metal just yet. Truth is not how you see it, but how it really is, and how you see it isn't close to the truth.

Yes, I did, and I also said that bands that use religious gimmickry fail most of the time.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Quote by Snickers Bowman
As wrong as that may be, it's the truth for me.

Try to avoid that thought process...
Quote by Snickers Bowman
All music dates back to classical. (which was RELIGIOUSLY based)

Go on? That has nothing to do with my statement.
Last edited by P1ayingW1thF1re at Jun 12, 2011,
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re

Right, and Sams cola isnt Coke.

I apologize, I have brought this off-topic, and will quit now.
Last edited by Vypor at Jun 12, 2011,
i thought this was a discussion on religion and metal, not the difference between different genres...
on the actual topic: i listen to christian bands, athiest bands, satanic bands and whatever other religion the bands i listen to are, but as long as the music is good, it's all good
but i do prefer it if they aren't preachy, or trying to force beliefs onto you, and that goes for athiests and satanists too. Christianity can work perfectly in metal, especially the book of revalation and quite a lot the old testament.
The Voices made me post that

Hi everybody it's me, Facebones!

Quote by Vypor

ITT: people who don't know what metal and hardcore are talking about what they think hardcore and metal are

Sumdeus
Quote by Vypor

It isn't! Coke is a brand.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Page 1 of 3