Anyone here tried it? How good does it handle metal, especially thrash and a bit of death in dropped tunings (mostly D and C, and some B occasionally). I don't think I'm getting a new guitar anytime soon so I thought I'd put a decent pickup in the bridge in my current one. The HZ is not very expensive so I'm considering it.

My guitar is a Stagg S-300, body made of alder (or at least their website says it's alder, I guess it's cheapass shitty alder, but meh), do you think it's worth upgrading it with a new pickup?

Any other pickup suggestion is welcome, of course.
I have no sig
Last edited by Mr Winters at Jun 12, 2011,
how expensive is "not very expensive"?

consensus seems to be that the emg hzs aren't that great. unless it's really really cheap (like a tenner) i wouldn't bother, when you can get things like toneriders and irongears for like £25.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I had them on my first guitar upgrade. my schecter Damien FR. Its a nice upgrade from say, a starter squire or along those lines, but they aren't amazing. I forget theyre price, but I'd steer away from them personally. They don't have a great great sound, and notes aren't crystal clear. Just my two cents

EDIT: This is an old video me and my band did, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9uVVd7zuv8 its a stupid remix of the nanerpus commercial, but the guitar tone is done with my schecter damien with the Hzs, so you can get an idea. I believe we mic'd it, but I can't remember, it was awhile ago. you can hear a rhythem sound and lead sound
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Last edited by Zinnie at Jun 12, 2011,
well i haven't tried them, but i'm guessing toneriders or irongears would give them a run for their money at about half the price.

or i mean at that price, you're almost within range of duncans at thomann prices, as long as you're willing to buy one of the sets. the jb/jazz set, or the distortion set, or the '59 set, are around 120-130 euros. for only 20-30 euros more...

EDIT: oh you're only going for a single pickup, are you? then in that case, yeah the duncans are a fair bit more, they're like 77 euro.

Personally for a cheap guitar like that i'd be going with something like tonerider or irongear... if you like it it's worth an upgrade, but you probably don't want to be putting a pickup in that's worth twice what the guitar is, lol.

EDIT #2: just had a quick look at the stagg site, is it routed for a humbucker at the bridge?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 12, 2011,
A DiMarzio D-Activator would sound much much better. My M-200FM currently has an H4 in the bridge, and honestly the stock ESP pickup was better. One of the worst decisions I've made. But I didnt have UG then, so go figure.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Emg are known for making active pick ups. The b4 is a passive attempt at an 81. I'd get something else.
I have a set in my Schecter and honestly it gets me most the tones i need. I use it for different kinds of drop tuned metal, lowest i usually go is C but ive dropped it down to Bb before. i dont see why everyone bashes them. But i guess different stuff works for different people
Quote by shecter guy
I have a set in my Schecter and honestly it gets me most the tones i need. I use it for different kinds of drop tuned metal, lowest i usually go is C but ive dropped it down to Bb before. i dont see why everyone bashes them. But i guess different stuff works for different people

youre right, its all preference. I had the damien as well, and enjoyed them for a bit, but once I got my schecter classic with the Duncan pickups, I realized how sterile the sound was. theyre not horrible, but not a great upgrade in my opinion. TS best way to go about it is to see if you can find a guitar with a set of them and try it out
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Waste of money if its a aftermarket.

There are way better pups out there. Save for them.

Stop-gap upgrades will end up costing you more in the long run. A lot more.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
yeah exactly, that's the difference- as stock pickups on cheaper guitars, the hzs are fine, as shecter guy rightly said. The problem is what's decent as a stock pickup isn't necessarily good value as an upgrade. I mean 49 euros apiece isn't far off what you can get a duncan for, and is actually a fair bit more than you can get things like tonerider and irongear for, both of which have a reputation for being pretty decent pickups for not much money.

heck you can get handwound catswhisker humbuckers for about 50 quid each (which is maybe 55 euro at the current exchange rate). I haven't tried them personally, but I've heard good things, and certainly if i had £50 for a pickup i'd be getting the catswhisker and not the emg hz.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 13, 2011,
IMO they are not good upgrade p/u's.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2