I have terrible G string buzz on my Les Paul copy. It's affecting only the open string and a slight bit on the 1st fret. Also, my 1st fret high E string buzz is so bad that the note just dies out. I also have a slight buzz on the 4th fret A string.

Also, I figured out that the buzz is more from the saddle end than the nut. I have a tune-o-matic bridge, and when I tug the string between the saddle and the bridge, the buzzing dies down for a few strums, then its just as bad as before. This only affects the G string. Any suggestions on fixing this?

EDIT: Also, the buzz is worse on a downstroke than an upstroke.
Last edited by Haydenr25 at Jun 12, 2011,
well, you might just need a little more relief.

if your neck is back bowed, then the first few frets can buzz.

measure your necks relief.
how to do that is in the first post of the setup thread.
click the green link in my sig, look, measure and post back.

if the string lays on the middle frets when held, then it's your relief.

if that's not the issue, then post back and i'll suggest something else.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
From what I can see, the strings are touching the metal piece of the fret (fret wire I think?), how do I change the neck relief ?
Quote by Haydenr25
From what I can see, the strings are touching the metal piece of the fret (fret wire I think?), how do I change the neck relief ?

You need to adjust the truss rod, but I'm not sure the other guy's response was correct though. Surely if the neck was bowed, your problem would affect ALL strings?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Sounds like you're guitar is suffering from being crappy. Possible solutions include buying a better guitar.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

There was no fret buzz when I bought it, the action or truss rod hasn't been adjusted. And how do I go about adjusting the truss rod?

EDIT: After testing all the frets, there are a few more, all below the 7th fret on numerous strings.
Last edited by Haydenr25 at Jun 12, 2011,
Quote by Haydenr25

if when you fret the first fret and the last fret, where the neck and body meet,
you find that the string lays on the middle frets,

then you can safely add more relief.

to do that, you can turn the truss rod 1/4 turn counter clockwise.

dont force the turn and let the guitar settle in tune.

then post back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by Danjo's Guitar
Sounds like you're guitar is suffering from being crappy. Possible solutions include buying a better guitar.

shut it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Woffelz
You need to adjust the truss rod, but I'm not sure the other guy's response was correct though. Surely if the neck was bowed, your problem would affect ALL strings?

in addition to not having enough relief, he might also have a couple of high frets,
and possible a low cut in the nut.

yes, a lot of times backbow, or near backbow will effect all strings,
but sometimes, it most effects one of two in the first couple of frets.

if he measured as per the instructions,
and found that he has NO RELIEF. which he
seems to be saying,

then adding a little relief is a very good first step.

if you're not sure if i know what i'm talking about,
then check out the setup thread stickied at the top.
you'll see i started it maybe a few years ago.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Cheers guys, I've just got home from school and read this. I adjusted it slightly and now the buzz is gone across all the frets and open strings! Thanks guys. I do have one question, how can I lower my action, it was raised during the adjustment.
if you want to adjust the bridge in a trem or TOM style bridge,
then look at the first post of the setup thread.

green link in my sig.

look at the pictures, let me know if you need help.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62