Can anybody explain this to me?

Food for Peace is a USaid program which is supposed to provide food grown here... wheat, corn, rice, stuff like that, to developing countries.

I hear this is bad because, apparently, it undermines local production. The idea is that small time farmers arent able to compete in a market flooded with govt subsidies.

So why accept foreign AID that you know is gonna fuck you? And does it really? Local production in Colombia, for example, couldnt of been too great if there was cause for this program to materialize.

I took a look at their website...

For more than 50 years, the Food for Peace program has brought hope and nourishment to the hungry corners of the world. Approximately 3 billion people in 150 countries have benefited directly from our food. The secret of Food for Peace's success lies in the unique combination of American compassion together with the unmatched efficiency of our nation's farmers. It is less a triumph of government than of working Americans, for in its essence, Food for Peace is the work of farmers, businessmen, grain elevator operators, truckers, bargemen, freight forwarders, port operations, private voluntary organizations, and government officials. Together they form an unbroken chain of humanity stretching from this country's fertile fields to hungry families half a world away. In the end, hope is what America has promised, and hope is what Food for Peace delivers around the world every day

...And its all just noise. I look at the rest of the site and its all just noise. No signal, no real explanation of how this is supposed to work.

Doesnt say either what countries are exchanging in return for this. Am I cynical? Im not convinced were that unselfish.

link, http://www.usaid.gov/our_work/humanitarian_assistance/ffp/
Yes, this is another marvellous money-spinning scheme which creates dependency on agricultural imports. It's the old 'give a man a fish' parable - this is giving people fish, not teaching them how to fish.
kumanji +1
Gear:
-Squier Bullet Strat

DUNLOP CRY BABY

-Peavey ValveKing 212
And 'counterpart funds'?

Dictionary:

a sum of money accrued in a local currency arising from goods or services received from abroad.

So do I have this right? US tax dollars pay to produce, transport and distribute food to Colombia just to have it sold again at a profit? I imagine profit margins are pretty high when you get the shit for free.

Last edited by Rising at Jun 12, 2011,
Quote by Kumanji
Yes, this is another marvellous money-spinning scheme which creates dependency on agricultural imports. It's the old 'give a man a fish' parable - this is giving people fish, not teaching them how to fish.

I actually agree with you on something
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect