http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDgdUCBltaQ

Throughout this 1 min guitar solo, there is type of solo sequence that I see Buckethead (As well as Gilbert) use A LOT in his solos. Though he often shakes things up by changing the pattern a bit here and there note-wise. Are there any Advanced Guitarists in this forum that can explain to me in some sort of detail exactly what is going on with these repeatative shred sequences. And how to go about practicing them

1.) What sort of Rhythmic figurings are used in these? (What "uplet" family members are being used?)

2.) Is Every note in these sequences articulated with a picking attack? (or is the dude in the above vid link using some combination of alternate picking/legado?)

3.) How can I break this technique down into its components/what are its components (So that I can start grinding these sequences with my metronome set @ turtle pace (-

4.) Also, I noticed little controled "bursts" here and there during these sequences, what rhythmic alterations (if any) are beings employed to accomplish this?

The Parts in particular that I am trying to figure out are the licks he is playing in (0:11-0:14, 0:16-0:25 & 0:50-1:00).
Last edited by DiabolusMusica5 at Jun 12, 2011,
Are you asking for the tab of the lick? Which part of the video are you talking about (timestamp would be helpful)?

1)Different groupings. Sounds like there might be some quintuplets in there...

2)Yes (if it's the part I think you mean...)

3)You could try tapping along to find the beat and then slowing this down in your head?

4)Which part are you referring to?

If this stuff is too advanced for you to work out...it just might be too advanced for you to use/play...

Sorry, I don't want to sound unhelpful, I just don't have enough information to answer properly.
The Parts in particular that I am trying to figure out are the licks he is playing in (0:11-0:14, 0:16-0:25 & 0:50-1:00).
Ok. They all sound like pretty similar shapes/licks that he just moves over the neck.

Sometimes he breaks up the repetitions with short scale runs.

As far as working this out by ear, the best advice I can give you is to: first work out the key and scale he's using (chords of the song, sound of the scale) to give you the general background to it. That should help you figure out what's going on, and it limits the choices of notes that he might be using.

You can see where he's playing on the guitar so that's obviously a huge help too, but you're going to have to slow this one down in your head to get it perfect...

As far as transcribing goes, there is plenty of info on here regarding that, I also have some lessons on my site too...

The good news: it's possible. The bad news: it's definitely going to take lots of effort (but it's worth it).
Those passages that you marked are very similar to an old Paul Gilbert lick, which you kind of hinted to.

If you go here: http://www.ibreathemusic.com/print/55 and scroll down to the first exercise under "Picking", then look at the middle exercise, that is what those licks that you listed remind me of.

I looked on Youtube to see if I could find a clip because there is a clip of Gilbert playing that exact same lick so you could hear it and see how similar they are. I couldn't find it but will keep searching.
i am the one playing in the video, it was recorded nearly one year ago and i dont remember exactly which notes i was playing in that video.

the pattern i use is not the same as paul gilbert, its similar but different... i spent quite some time listening/watching to buckethead's live videos and i think i have found out what he is playing.

just this morning i made a quick video to show the licks (there are tabs as well)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW2bK80-qu8

if you have questions reply here or comment in the video.
E||---7---------------------7-8-7h-8p-7----7-10-8h-10p-8-7-----||
B||-----10p-8p-7---7h-8h-10-------------10-----------------10--||
G||*-------------9--------------------------------------------*||
D||*----------------------------------------------------------*||
A||------------------------------------------------------------||
E||------------------------------------------------------------||

---5-------------------5-7-5h-7p-5---5-8-7h-8p-7-5----||
-----8p-6p-5---5h-6h-8-------------8---------------8--||
*------------7---------------------------------------*||
*----------------------------------------------------*||
------------------------------------------------------||
------------------------------------------------------||

I bring you the Lick(s) of Death!

It's commonly used by both Buckethead and Paul Gilbert.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
No, what I mean is that that is the lick that PG and Buckethead use

Paul Gilbert har been teaching it in his lessons, and just listen to the Rock in Rio solo by Buckethead and you will hear it.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)