http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGp97OVybUM

Is it even possible for me to do with my birch Tama Superstar w/ Remo ebony batter head? Current dampening is just a small sofa pillow. For reference, my kick kind of sounds like this right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g34vmj2EdS8

I've also got some old Ludwig kick from '78 or so if that would work better, but it's got a fist sized hole that's been duct taped shut, so it's not in the best condition.
Its tough to hear a recorded kick sound and attempt to duplicate it. You would need more than the right drum/head combo. You would need to mic it and EQ it just like the engineer. I recommend you find a sound that you like on your own and spend your effords fine tuning that.

With that being said I know from what I have read that Dave likes his heads tuned really low. He also buries the beater, so that is going to effect the drum sound quite a bit. The Superstar should sound good if tuned correctly. I would ditch the pillow and pick up an EQ pad or something comparable. Pillows are great for laying your head on, but no so great for drums.
Quote by Alex Vik
Just did all that plus my usual kick EQ on my Ludwig, and I think I've pretty much got the sound.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8416500/ludwig%20kick%20test.mp3

What do you think?

Its close. Now all you need to do is really bury your beater, filter out some of the higher frequencies (from only the bass drum), and apply EQ so that the bass drum sounds good in the mix of whatever its going into. I hope you're using more than one microphone, or else its gonna be difficult, if not impossible, to get that sound right.
I'd suggest watching all the studio videos (including Fresh Pots) and rehearsals, then tuning your set as close to his "un-miced" set first. That'll give you a good starting point, then just fool around with EQ for a bit to get that sound. Just know that it is nearly impossible to get that EXACT same sound, so many different factors come into play other than tuning and EQ that you have no control over...room size, specific mic placement, foot technique, etc. Chances are, even if Grohl were to go back in, it'd be hard for even him to exactly match it. BUT having said that, you can get close.
I'm not able to listen to the sound clips right now, but taping a Coin to a credit card, and then the credit card onto the bass drum can help in some cases.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by King Twili
I'm not able to listen to the sound clips right now, but taping a Coin to a credit card, and then the credit card onto the bass drum can help in some cases.

Eh, I don't think that's what he's looking for...that'll give a "clicky" sound, he doesn't want that

Also, are you using a clear head? Kinda sounds as if you might be using clear...? Get a coated Emperor (that's what Grohl uses in the studio) or any coated head, but I think coated Emp will get you a bit closer to what you want
Last edited by AmericanZero13 at Jun 16, 2011,
Quote by AmericanZero13
Eh, I don't think that's what he's looking for...that'll give a "clicky" sound, he doesn't want that

Also, are you using a clear head? Kinda sounds as if you might be using clear...? Get a coated Emperor (that's what Grohl uses in the studio) or any coated head, but I think coated Emp will get you a bit closer to what you want

Yeah, it's a clear Ludwig Rocker head (I think). I thought I might need a coated head, but I've never seen anyone use them on the kick drum.
Coated heads are preferred for recording. They give it a much "warmer" sound, compared to clear which is better for playing live because it gives a stronger attack. Coated heads tend to be easier to EQ, than clear heads...a little more focused, easier to work with. I'd definitely suggest giving it a try