I currently own a Vox AC4TV wich sounds really great with my American Strat but Im not quite there yet.

Im looking for an hendrix tone, and a plexi is without any doubt the best amp to aim for.
I'd like to pay a bit under 1000$

Not sure if I want a high wattage or low one. I know ceriatone builds 18watt plexi clones and JTM45/100 clones. Anybody tried them?

I'd go for a metroamp but I definatly don't have the funds for it, I need to buy a new car.

Is there any good plexi clones around? I'd like to find one that fits my budget but still sounds great. I don't need the best one out there, I just want one that sounds 80% of a vintage plexi.

If you got one and you use an attenuator, let me know wich one and if it ruins the tone

Thanks
i have a ceriatone 18 watt. it get's rather plexi-esque. (roll the tone knob back a little helps too, thanks cath).

it also does a really good impression of really ****ing loud.

it depends on how much of a tone snob/aficionado you are really.

it works for me. ymmv
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
How loud does it need to be?
I have Marshall Class 5 and I'm very happy with it. Pure Plexi sound. I bought it used for around 200€. For me it was loud enough to play in a band.
You can get great tones from Dr Z Carmen Ghia too. 18w and around $1000.
But you can get the real deal for more than 1000 dollars too.
I'd suggest a Splawn Quick Rod, but you aren't likely to find one for a grand unless it's stolen. Great amp, though.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by jeTTa02
How loud does it need to be?
I have Marshall Class 5 and I'm very happy with it. Pure Plexi sound. I bought it used for around 200€. For me it was loud enough to play in a band.
You can get great tones from Dr Z Carmen Ghia too. 18w and around $1000.
But you can get the real deal for more than 1000 dollars too.

Hmm, I'll have to take a look into the marshall class 5
You need to crank it up to get good tones?

Here's a video of the tone im looking for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMkdhVQMBHY&feature=related
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJUtaSDWqnw&feature=related

I'd like something under 50watt, so I can use it in my house.
My AC4TV 4watt already sounds loud, can't imagine a 100watt lol
Last edited by Bubbledin at Jun 12, 2011,
Class 5 for a low wattage head. Bugera 1960 for a 100 watt head they run about $550 new.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sorry, I can't listen to videos right now.
Class 5's 5 watts are very loud 5 watts, I compared it to Silverface Fender Champ and there is a huge difference in volume.
I have the combo version, but I recommend head. I pluged my amp in 1975 Marshall cab with four Greenbacks and it was very good sound with more volume than 1x10 speaker in combo.
I think the new version of Class 5 have the wattage switch.
Quote by jeTTa02
Sorry, I can't listen to videos right now.
Class 5's 5 watts are very loud 5 watts, I compared it to Silverface Fender Champ and there is a huge difference in volume.
I have the combo version, but I recommend head. I pluged my amp in 1975 Marshall cab with four Greenbacks and it was very good sound with more volume than 1x10 speaker in combo.
I think the new version of Class 5 have the wattage switch.

How does it compare to a old vintage plexi? JTM45/100 and such?
Can you get that kind of tone but at reduced volumes?
Quote by Bubbledin
Can you get that kind of tone but at reduced volumes?

Quote by gregs1020
it depends on how much of a tone snob/aficionado you are really.
I haven't actually played the Ceriatone but I have looked pretty carefully at the circuit and layout and it seems to be a pretty faithful replica to me. They use Mercury transformers so I can't see how they could not be satisfactory.
Not sure how much they cost but Metroamp are pretty fanatical about getting everything exactly right. They even go to the trouble of replicating manufacturing errors like out of round holes in the speaker cabinet and suchlike.
http://plexireplicas.com/metropoulos-amplifiers/

Edit: Oh, you've already looked at metroamp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 12, 2011,
weber has lost my business. poor customer support and took 8 weeks to get to the door when his site said 2-3 weeks on a kit. and i got some of the wrong parts.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Here's an important question; are you capable of building your own from a basic kit?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^^ that makes me very sad Derek. I always had a lot of respect for their outfit.

Quote by FatalGear41
I'd suggest a Splawn Quick Rod, but you aren't likely to find one for a grand unless it's stolen. Great amp, though.

As much as I like that idea ( I have one) it sounds like the TS needs a lower wattage solution that gives him more of a cranked tone without making your head explode

That said - you can find Quick Rods right around $1,000 if you are patient and can be ran at 50w.

PS: FatalGear - you have a ton of gear, I saw in your profile. Also, you can probably change your sig to 7 billion soon That would leave almost a half a billion people that cared if you leave it as is
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^^ that makes me very sad Derek. I always had a lot of respect for their outfit.

As much as I like that idea ( I have one) it sounds like the TS needs a lower wattage solution that gives him more of a cranked tone without making your head explode

That said - you can find Quick Rods right around $1,000 if you are patient and can be ran at 50w.

PS: FatalGear - you have a ton of gear, I saw in your profile. Also, you can probably change your sig to 7 billion soon That would leave almost a half a billion people that cared if you leave it as is

+1 311.

being a Promod owner as well as a Nitro owner, these are the only amps i have ever owned that you do not get a decent sound out of shy of them being cranked. even at half power. they sound weak and sterile until about 8:30 on the volume then it is ear blistering pure sex. and better the higher up you go
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I cranked a Class5 and it didn't get very loud at all for me. I didn't like the amp much
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Thanks for the replies

Theres a used Trinity 18 watt plexi head clone being sold in my town for 750$
They sell for 1200$ new, wondering if anybody heard of them?
Quote by Bubbledin
Thanks for the replies

Theres a used Trinity 18 watt plexi head clone being sold in my town for 750$
They sell for 1200$ new, wondering if anybody heard of them?

i haven't heard of trinity, but if you can post any gut shots i'm sure our "amp gurus" could look it over and give their opinion of the parts used and layout. i had one of the guys check over the gutshots of my ceriatone before i bought it.

post some pics.
i am really impressed by my watts tube audio 18w thats right here. http://turretboards.com/

they got it to me in four days, as opposed to my JTM45 kit from webber who was six weeks late (according to the posted time when ordered).

the only reason i didn't go for the trinity kit, is i read about long shipping times and ordering times, i swear i read some one said they wated 6 months with bad communication. that did it for me. the price on that one is likely so high just due to the fact that its assembled.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Cathbard
I haven't actually played the Ceriatone but I have looked pretty carefully at the circuit and layout and it seems to be a pretty faithful replica to me. They use Mercury transformers so I can't see how they could not be satisfactory.

I'm afraid Ceriatone has shut down production of their amplifier kits; at least temporarily:

http://www.ceriatone.com/tlbrBorderSub/Kits%20Announcement%202011.htm
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
I'm afraid Ceriatone has shut down production of their amplifier kits; at least temporarily:

http://www.ceriatone.com/tlbrBorderSub/Kits%20Announcement%202011.htm

damn. thats certainly not good news, whether some of thier components are crap or their transforrmers, its never good to see a presumably family owned company go through that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Check out the Fargen Miniplex or Olde 800. They're the same amp with different wattages (12 and 25W) and they're built to reproduce a JTM45, a Plexi and a JCM800. You can find used ones for $900 on ebay.

Here is a video, ignore the intro in spanish and check out the tone! (Im thinking of getting this amp too)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agljW3Uu0-k
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at Jun 14, 2011,