I've bought 2 1x12's off a guy on eBay. They are loaded with 8ohm speakers and can be wired together which I believe would normally half the impedance to 4ohms.

However, in this case, they are home made cabinets and we aren't sure if he wired it in series or in parallel and I'm pretty sure they have the opposite effect. That means we could either be looking at a 4 ohm cabinet or a 16ohm cabinet. My head can take an 2 8's or a 16, but not a 4.

Any ideas how we test it without risking my head blowing?
Get us a picture of the wiring. Or, see if you can identify it against these diagrams:

Quote by CobenBlack
I've bought 2 1x12's off a guy on eBay. They are loaded with 8ohm speakers and can be wired together which I believe would normally half the impedance to 4ohms.

However, in this case, they are home made cabinets and we aren't sure if he wired it in series or in parallel and I'm pretty sure they have the opposite effect. That means we could either be looking at a 4 ohm cabinet or a 16ohm cabinet. My head can take an 2 8's or a 16, but not a 4.

Any ideas how we test it without risking my head blowing?

they are 1x12's at 8 ohms. just stating for reference. i am a little unsure of what you mean by 'wiring' them together, but if you run them both out the speaker outs on a head then that wouldn't be acceptable as those speaker outs would be wired in parallel from the transformer so more formally your head can take:

-(1) 16 ohm speaker in the 16 ohm out
-(1) 8 ohm speaker in one of your 8 ohm outs
-(2) 16 ohm speakers hooked to your 8 ohm outs

if you plan on 'daisy chaining' one speaker cab into the other (dunno if your cabs support that), then it would still be wired in parallel and produce a 4 ohm load

what does this all mean? your amp can use 1 of those cabs at a time.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
i first read it as a 2x12 as well but the language he used didn't jibe with that. it's also why i stated what the cabs were in case i misinterpreted.

@TS-great opportunity for another head and stereo effects.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 12, 2011,