Whats up UG, this may be obvious but I never realized it until today. I was practicing soloing over chord changes, and what I ended up doing was taking a i-v (Em7 - Bm7), finding the arpeggios from both chords starting from the r b3 5 and b7, and laying them on top of each other in their respective positions. I did this to see which notes were in both chords and where the right notes were for the new chord in a close location.

Anyways, after I was finished I finally realized what combining these arpeggios created. Look familiar?? Makes sense thinking about it now, but I just never thought about it like that.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/imgia.jpg/
Quote by supersac
looks like the ol pentatonic with some extr notes

proabbaly why the I IV V progression works so well over the scale

Thats what I was thinking too. It's just the minor pentatonic with the 2 added
Quote by cm880999
Thats what I was thinking too. It's just the minor pentatonic with the 2 added

Also known as the E minor scale without the sixth note. You get the whole scale from a im7 - VII7 progression:

E G B D + D F# A C =

E F# G A B C D

(Ta-daaaa!)
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Last edited by soviet_ska at Jun 13, 2011,
Of course it's going to look like a scale, because that's where the notes of those two chords come from. If you added a few other arpeggios on top of that, you'd end up with the whole scale. If you thought that was interesting, look at the relationship between the Imaj7, iiim7 and vim7 chords in a scale, as well as the relationship between the IVmaj7,iiim7, V7, and viim7b5 chords in a key. They all overlap with each other a bit and allow for good chord and arpeggio substitutions.
Last edited by Glen'sHeroicAct at Jun 13, 2011,
Quote by soviet_ska
Also known as the E minor scale without the sixth note. You get the whole scale from a imaj7 - VII7 progression:

E G B D + D F# A C =

E F# G A B C D

(Ta-daaaa!)

I believe you mean imin7, not imaj7, with the maj 7 youd get E B G D# and D F# A C
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
In other words it's just the E minor scale
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Zinnie
I believe you mean imin7, not imaj7, with the maj 7 youd get E B G D# and D F# A C

Ahem, yes. Yes, I do.
Quote by soviet_ska
Ahem, yes. Yes, I do.

no offense intended, I just like making corrections when needed so as to not confuse the TS
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Zinnie
no offense intended, I just like making corrections when needed so as to not confuse the TS

None taken; I even edited my post so there will be no more confusion.