im about to move into a new house with some friends. it has a big garage that will be perfect for shows and practicing. im play both drums and guitar. i really want to do the whole soundproofing thing the RIGHT way, not just throw a few mattresses up and call it good. buying expensive soundfoam is not an option for me right now. what techniques and materials have worked well for you? also i realize that complete soundproofing is not possible, i just want to do it as best as i can.
Right way and cheap don't go together. Sound proofing will be almost impossible on a budget. You can do some acoustical treatment though.

If it's a live space, meaning reflective, you can damping some walls with thick curtains. You can also build reflective or absorptive panels by using the spray foam insulation. Build a panel (4'x2'x2") from wood, fill it with the foam, and cover it in cheap fabric. That pink fuzzy insulation can work too.

It'll be a pain in the ass, but it'll be worth it if you put the time in. DON'T BUY AURALEX FOAM! It's a waste of money.
Quote by Alex Vik
Do you want soundproofing, acoustical treatment, or both?

well thats kind of the tricky question. although i do want a good acoustic enviornment for shows and jamming, at this point soundproofing is the priority because of neighbors.
Quote by Jabels225
egg cartons.

do ****ing nothing.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Basically what you need to do is to make an entire second wall around the iinside of the garage. You fill the space inbetween with stuff. I dont remember what though.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by toby3p0
Googled "DIY soundproofing", clicked the first link, found this:

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/garage.htm

at the bottom of the article there is a link with step-by-step pictures, should be a good reference.

ive looked over this site quite a bit. im just trying to get some extra suggestions from people that have actually tried it
Egg cartons do absolutely nothing in terms of sound proofing. For diffusion they are actually useful though, but I doubt you're going to be worrying about diffusion unless you've got resonance issues.
Quote by itchy guitar
Basically what you need to do is to make an entire second wall around the iinside of the garage. You fill the space inbetween with stuff. I dont remember what though.
Along this vein...if you go to a hardware store, they can tell you if insulation or something would soundproof well. If not, they might be able to point out what is good at damping sound and hopefully where to get it.
Quote by littlephil
Egg cartons do absolutely nothing in terms of sound proofing. For diffusion they are actually useful though, but I doubt you're going to be worrying about diffusion unless you've got resonance issues.

that's true.
Lots and lots of $$$. You basically need to build a "room inside of a room"
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch