Orange Rockerverb 50w 2x12 combo, with matching 2x12 cab
25 74%
Hughes and Kettner Duotone 50w 1x12 with matching extension cab
7 21%
Something else (Please specify)
2 6%
Voters: 34.
Hey guys....

Upgrading my amp currently, just looking for a bit of help choosing my new amp....

I'm extremely interested in:

Orange Rockerverb Mark 2 50w 2x12 combo, with the matching 2x12 extension cab

Hughes and Kettner Duotone 50w combo, with matching 2x12 extension cab

(Both have Vintage 30's in their cabs)

I play a wide range of styles and I do some session work, so ideally this amp needs to be versatile as hell..... I am currently playing in a funk/hiphop band, a thrashy, shred metal band, and a nintendo/metal/japanese folk band......

The reason I don't want to get a stack is mainly portability, I won't need a 4x12 all the time, and I do not need 100watts of power, I'd much rather a small amp turned up rather then a big amp turned down.....

Thoughts??? I'm open to suggestions.... I have played both and am probably leaning towards the Kettner, because of the dual master volume on each channel.....

Thanks in advance
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
The Egnater Rebel 30?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I'm an Orange guy, through and through. They have the best service, great company. Amazing amps, but you have to know that you like the sound before buying once, which it seems you've done. Great stuff, nothing else like it (okay, well, Matamp, but shh)!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Never seen an Egnater in Australia.... Ill have a look around
I have the head versions of both. The Cleans on both are really clean. The Orange has non-Master volume on both channels while the Duotone has 2 Master volumes.

While both have tube-buffered effects loop, Orange pioneered this and it has tube Reverb. The Orange has the classic British tone while the Duotone's British tone is a bit thicker (not mushy). I also like the tube protection feature of the Orange.

Stock, both have EL34s and the Duotone is a bit better than the Orange in the ground it covers. However, putting in 6L6s or KT88s in the Orange totally changes the flavors. I like both.

I'm a huge fan of the Rockerverbs so it gets my vote. And although I've not played a Duotone, I would say it has more flexibility (to Ippon's point).

+311 to what Ippon said. Hell he owns both. How many amps do you have now anyway?

PS: If for some reason you can get your hands on an Egnater Renegade - do it.
^Thats probably what I'm after, and thats what I found.... I'm a huge fan of the 'modern' tone of the Kettner (Especially in the leads).... But love the raunchiness of the Orange
I predict there will be a lot more votes for the Orange, despite 80% of UG probably never having seen, much less played one. So yeah, I'd be wary about trusting that poll. But that's just how UG works.

There is little difference in volume between a 50w and 100w version of the same amp. There's slight differences in tone.

The Duotone has that typical H&K smoothness to the overdrive and can be dialed in for a lot of different tones. It's bright compared to the Orange, but still nicely balanced. The Orange is darker and has that awesome gnarly drive tone, but isn't as tweakable as the Duotone - but it's not much less versatile, since I feel that the tone it produces works for many different styles very well. I like the Orange's cleans better. The Duotone's are fine as well, but they can seem a bit bland.
I have not tried these amps in a band context, but if I had to guess, I'd say the H&K would likely sit better in a mix - it can be restrained to a certain frequency range easily and won't interfere with other instruments, while the Orange occupies a lot of space in the lower ranges no matter what. I'd like to hear from people who have used the amp in a band situation though, as I'm just taking a guess here.

But basically, at this price point it comes down to taste. Both amps are great.
Cheers mate!! Very informative... And yes, posting the poll was more for my own amusement....
Quote by TheQuailman
I predict there will be a lot more votes for the Orange, despite 80% of UG probably never having seen, much less played one. So yeah, I'd be wary about trusting that poll. But that's just how UG works.

FYI - Guitar Center now carries Orange and there is a mom n pop shop about 50 miles from me where I can go play Rockerverbs all day long. Otherwise........you are right - there are not a lot of them out there to be played in the US.
I wasn't talking about you there, I trust your judgement. But there's a couple of brands the whole forum has a boner for, and I always wonder how many people have actually tried the amps... dare I say it, it feels like this place operates on hearsay a lot of times.
Quote by TheQuailman
(a) I predict there will be a lot more votes for the Orange, despite 80% of UG probably never having seen, much less played one. So yeah, I'd be wary about trusting that poll. But that's just how UG works.

(b) But basically, at this price point it comes down to taste. Both amps are great.

(a) +1

the golden rule about polls is never make them (or at least if you do ignore the results). they're too anonymous, and you have no idea if people voting are doing so for a laugh, have a clue about gear or not, etc. etc.

I fully expect orange to win because it's one of those brands which is cool at the moment. Nothing wrong with that but it definitely skews things like polls.

(b) +1 (I've only tried the mark I version of the rockerverb). One thing I would say is that both amps have sort of a unique tone. So it's very much down to personal preference.

Quote by TheQuailman
I wasn't talking about you there, I trust your judgement. But there's a couple of brands the whole forum has a boner for, and I always wonder how many people have actually tried the amps... dare I say it, it feels like this place operates on hearsay a lot of times.

yeah definitely

I mean I frequently talk about stuff i haven't tried... but i always make clear I haven't tried it.

but yeah all those fanboy brands (you know the ones) annoy me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 13, 2011,
I'm going to cast my vote for the Orange. Buuuuttttt i'm pretty bias because I love Orange amps, so maybe I shouldn't count. I

If you're that torn you could flip a coin.
Orange Rockerverb 100MKII
Orange PPC412C
Fender Telecaster: Hotrails, Air Norton, Area '58
Bass big muff
Russian big muff
Boss OC-3
Boss DD-3
Hahaha.... Fair call ^ Pretty set on the duotone me thinks.... The slightly tighter distortion will be more useful to me in a session environment I think....
save some money and get a JCA50H and maybe the orange cab?

easy to get down here cause you can import the US model and flick the voltage switch.
mojostompboxes.com
Oh wait.. they are single channel, based on soldano's hey???

Reason I'm upgrading is my current amp (Laney Gh50L) is single single channel, not enough control over the tones....
Why oh why would anyone recommend a JCA when the guy is looking at a fricken Rockerverb and Duotone?

The Orange is tight enough, btw. Sure, it's got a lot of low-end, but it stays controlled.
cause its such a good amp for much less.. i have a rocker 30 so i know orange tone. i also have the jca20 that i did a touch of work on and like it just as much if not more.

go facepalm yourself crazy duckman
mojostompboxes.com
I figure I have the money, and need something that will last me a long time, so not bother with something that isn't even an original amp (by that I mean the JCA is based on a soldano)
Quote by sheumack111
Hahaha.... Fair call ^ Pretty set on the duotone me thinks.... The slightly tighter distortion will be more useful to me in a session environment I think....

Haha, fair enough man. Be sure to do a review on it!

Quote by greeny23
cause its such a good amp for much less.. i have a rocker 30 so i know orange tone. i also have the jca20 that i did a touch of work on and like it just as much if not more.

Why would he buy something that he has to tinker with right out of the box when he can just buy an amp that is already what he wants it to be? I'm not anti-Jetcity and i'm certainly not anti-modding, but in certain cases, if you've got the coin, why settle for less?
Orange Rockerverb 100MKII
Orange PPC412C
Fender Telecaster: Hotrails, Air Norton, Area '58
Bass big muff
Russian big muff
Boss OC-3
Boss DD-3
Quote by DefRebelOrange

Why would he buy something that he has to tinker with right out of the box when he can just buy an amp that is already what he wants it to be? I'm not anti-Jetcity and i'm certainly not anti-modding, but in certain cases, if you've got the coin, why settle for less?

+1

Yeah, in certain instances you can pay a ton of money for what are very simple, cheap upgrades.

But just because you're not a tinkerer doesn't mean there's something wrong with you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ended up getting the Duotone with the 2x12... Incredible deal.... 2800 for an amp and cab combined work $6000 in australia, in absolute mint condition..... Soo stoked... The cleans are incredible....
nice
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice.

Interesting to hear you like the cleans. I always thought they were it's weakest point. But it seems to be a love/hate type of deal, as I've heard plenty of people who say they're great, and plenty of others that can't stand them at all. Good to know it's up your alley though.
How d'you like the drive?
Yeah I love the drive... Haven't got to push it too much yet tho, esp with the extension cab... Unfortunately my rehearsal schedule is quite quiet this week for once, quite strange really.... But shall do a big test on sunday in a studio :P
Seems to take my JP7 string pretty well!