Would it be a problem if I showed up at a public place (say, a mall) with a knapsack full of CDs containing my own material, and started handing them out to people for free? Not harassing them, just plainly asking "would you like to have a CD?"

I would think that the mall cops would probably give me a hard time, but considering I'm not trying to sell them, and I don't think I'd be creating much of a nuisance. I could be wrong though. Laws and that kind of thing.

I don't see it being any different to handing out leaflets and we get enough of that in the UK, dunno about America. I say go for it.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

only if the music is actually good
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Its the mall so im not to sure. Maybe your should ask security there before you get yourself into trouble.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
If someone handed me a CD off the street for free I wouldn't be mad if it was shitty, but if some guy sells it to me off the street and it sucks, I'd be mad
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
What laws would there be against that sort of thing?

Just be sure to have a band website or contact info on the CD so it actually helps you gain recognition.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by AvengedFoghat
Would it be a problem if I showed up at a public place (say, a mall) with a knapsack full of CDs containing my own material, and started handing them out to people for free? Not harassing them, just plainly asking "would you like to have a CD?"

I would think that the mall cops would probably give me a hard time, but considering I'm not trying to sell them, and I don't think I'd be creating much of a nuisance. I could be wrong though. Laws and that kind of thing.

I believe it would be best to contact the management for the mall,they can help you out.

Best to make a demo,have a cover letter and such and send them to management.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
If someone handed me a CD off the street for free I wouldn't be mad if it was shitty, but if some guy sells it to me off the street and it sucks, I'd be mad

You'd buy a CD from a complete stranger of music you've never heard?
Nothing, I just don't want to start, and have one of the mall cops give me a hard time.

Nelsean, I appreciate the answer.

Actually, I appreciate most of the answers in this thread.
i'd do it. if theres a hot topic in your mall ask the manager if they'll put them on the counter for you. i dont know about where you're at, but people do that all the time around here
My sig? Nice.
Quote by littlephil

I don't, but hey, you never know, you might find gold
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by metaldud536
Try spreading it through the air, open wounds, door knobs, mosquitoes, sharing straws and not wearing a condom.

That's how first learned of Jimi Hendrix.

Fuck that shit, I'm closing my ports now.

Madagascar, fuck yer
I could see the mall having a problem with that. Plus is that the best place to sell your CD? Think about your target demographic and work from there.
You could always go to a certain store and ask if they'd be coll with giving them out.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by littlephil

Why not?
Check out my lyrics! (C4C)

Critical Condition
Tombstone

Quote by SteveHouse
That's actually the point of this. Tell your inner editor to shut the fock up and just write.
I'm sure it'd be alright, but it's best to check with security/mall manager or owner or whatever. Just to make sure it's "acceptable" material.

Like some people mentioned, there are probably stores that are cool with you putting your album on a shelf for people to take. I'd suggest your local record store, you'll probably have a pretty good chance that they'll do it. Plus, you're music would be reaching an audience who might actually be curious to hear what you've done.
You should be fine, but like other people said, let the security know what you're doing first.
cat
Quote by metaldud536
Try spreading it through the air, open wounds, door knobs, mosquitoes, sharing straws and not wearing a condom.

That's how first learned of Jimi Hendrix.

This.

I got Tool by sucking a hooker's penis.
Quote by AvengedFoghat
Did this encounter happen to take place in a prison, Gyroscope?

Gyro's been in & out of the joint for years. It was there, actually, that he eventually got his nickname of "Gyroscope". Don't ask what it really means...
my friend apparantly bumped into this black guy at te mall trying to sell these fake collab tapes, he told me it went someting like

"yeah it's got snoop dogg, ice cube, mac dre..."

"mac dre's dead"

".... xzibit, the game..."
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Gyro's been in & out

I think you just described why he's called Gyro.
Quote by AvengedFoghat
Did this encounter happen to take place in a prison, Gyroscope?

I'd rather not talk about.

I was so young and vestal then.