Im looking into buying a nice guitar for alternative punk style music.

Basically stuff like Chiodos, Sum 41, Flyleaf, A Day to Remember and stuff like that.

All im pretty much looking for is a guitar that has good clean sounds, but can handle heavy distortion for chugging like palm mutes. Also one that doesnt sound harsh and tinny, my current guitar is very harsh to the point that i hardly ever do bends cause they sound so harsh.

I have a budget of $500 max so if anyone knows of guitars in that price range im open to suggestions.
I agree with K!!LsWiTcH Ltd's are boss. i have an F-150 and not only is it sexy BUT it sounds amazing.
anything with 2 humbuckers.

good cleans and good distortion is going to be more a product of your amp than your guitar. pretty much anything in the $500 range with 2 humbuckers should be just fine
Quote by HomeRecording
Some kind of Les Paul gets my vote.

im looking into an LTD EC 256, its a LP body with some pretty good features on it
You could also look into Schecter guitar's, very nice an well built an sound pretty good clean/distorted.
This may be something of an ignorant and generalizing statement, but it seems to me that there isn't a specific type of guitar you would normally have recommended for that music; rather just go try a bunch of guitars from different manufacturers and see which ones you tend to like best.
Quote by Pac_man0123
This may be something of an ignorant and generalizing statement, but it seems to me that there isn't a specific type of guitar you would normally have recommended for that music; rather just go try a bunch of guitars from different manufacturers and see which ones you tend to like best.

I agree with this. The only guitar I can think of is a Gibson Les Paul Junior, but that is out your price range I think.
i looked into schecters and i thought they were pretty good but i want to try something with passive pickups first. and the schecters ive seen with passive electronics just haven't really gave me a great sound.
I was looking in to a Tempest standard for a while then i saw a bunch of other different types, like fender Jaguar, c-1 standard, ltd's and i kinda pushed that off to the side, ill have to look into it again
and no i agree there is no main one type of guitar for that style, i just posted this up for suggestions
Your profile says you're using a Fender Frontman with a Digitech Grundge pedal and an unnamed Boss distortion pedal. No wonder your tone sounds harsh. That's a whole lotta solid state right there.

Any guitar can do the kind of music you're talking about. Perhaps not big 50s jazzboxes or really country-orientated Esquire Telecasters, but anything else can do it especially anything with a bridge humbucker or P-90. Telecaster Deluxe/Customs, Les Pauls, SGs, Firebirds, Explorers, HSS Strats, Jazzmasters, Jaguars and Mustangs are all common choices but you can pick up almost anything and it'll work for what you want.

Your amp is what you need to get sorted out. Almost any kind of punk tone comes from tube amps simply being maxed out to breaking point. Solid state gear don't work like that and it always has more treble which is why you're getting that harsh tone.
Quote by grohl1987
Your profile says you're using a Fender Frontman with a Digitech Grundge pedal and an unnamed Boss distortion pedal. No wonder your tone sounds harsh. That's a whole lotta solid state right there.

Any guitar can do the kind of music you're talking about. Perhaps not big 50s jazzboxes or really country-orientated Esquire Telecasters, but anything else can do it especially anything with a bridge humbucker or P-90. Telecaster Deluxe/Customs, Les Pauls, SGs, Firebirds, Explorers, HSS Strats, Jazzmasters, Jaguars and Mustangs are all common choices but you can pick up almost anything and it'll work for what you want.

Your amp is what you need to get sorted out. Almost any kind of punk tone comes from tube amps simply being maxed out to breaking point. Solid state gear don't work like that and it always has more treble which is why you're getting that harsh tone.

i realize that solid state equipment isnt very good but when your on a budget it works, and im looking into a vox valvetronix amp, i just need the money first, and personally id rather have a better guitar first then a good amp
+1 to a LP of some kind. Used Epiphone Standard/Custom or an Agile AL-3100 would work well i think
Quote by alfguitar992
i realize that solid state equipment isnt very good but when your on a budget it works, and im looking into a vox valvetronix amp, i just need the money first, and personally id rather have a better guitar first then a good amp
That's fine, just remember that no matter what guitar you get it's going to sound harsh and thin until you get the amp upgraded. So whatever you get, make sure to try it in a store through a valve amp, don't judge it based on the tone it produces when you're plugged into your current amp.
Quote by grohl1987
That's fine, just remember that no matter what guitar you get it's going to sound harsh and thin until you get the amp upgraded. So whatever you get, make sure to try it in a store through a valve amp, don't judge it based on the tone it produces when you're plugged into your current amp.

k, then you will like my next post...