Poll Options
View poll results: Which path?
Contentment
158 81%
Success
36 19%
Voters: 194.
Page 1 of 2
You essentially have two paths in life: the path to success or the path to contentment. With a life of modest contentment, although it lacks glamor and appeal, you enjoy life for life itself, love and peace reign as your rewards. With a life based around success, you gain riches and have multitudes of positive accomplishments. However, you become distant from your morals, innocence, and love for humanity.

The ultimate dilemma.
inb4 the obvious answer.

EDIT: damn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Easy.

Contentment. It is the entire point of life, is it not?
I've never seen a smiling face that was not beautiful. ~Author Unknown
Quote by StratoCatser
Success, but it's killing me.

success is successfully succeeding at killing you? successful success is successful.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Well, I play guitar with the goal of contentment in the future... success in the way most people see it doesn't seem likely enough to strive for anyway. : )
Success.

Because being content is boring, and money can buy some cool shit.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Quote by Kilobyte
Success.

Because being content is boring, and money can buy some cool shit.

who said money can't buy happiness?

no seriously, who said that? i'll pay them to say it can.

i'msorichithrowdiamondsintothesewerbecauseienjoythesound.jpeg
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Success, considering I lost my innocence and love for humanity years ago already. In fact I actually hate humanity as a collective, we suck.
Contentment, no second thought.

Quote by theogonia777
who said money can't buy happiness?
I've always wondered the same thing, since money CAN buy happiness.

If having a home, items that fulfill your needs/wants, food to eat, etc... is what makes you happy, you will obtain none of them without money. So yeah, of course can buy happiness as well as love.

I love my guitars, which all but one I obtained through money.
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
Last edited by AllJudasPriest at Jun 13, 2011,
I'll aim for contentment but fail to be content because I'll recognize that I've settled for a life of mediocrity when I was capable of more but was too lazy or scared to reach for it, so I'll probably become depressed & drink a lot.
Success, I'm already halfway there, without the success part.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
actually, this is relevant:
Quote by Edwin Arlington Robinson

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich – yes, richer than a king –
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

Depending on how you define success they are probably the same thing.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I won't be content unless I'm successful. But successful in terms of accomplishment, not necessarily money.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Why cannot one take both?

And, on another note, what'd you do? Read a really long fortune cookie?

Most likely, TS looked into Hinduism, Buddhism, or one of the other similar religions.
Quote by AllJudasPriest
Contentment, no second thought.

I've always wondered the same thing, since money CAN buy happiness.

If having a home, items that fulfill your needs/wants, food to eat, etc... is what makes you happy, you will obtain none of them without money. So yeah, of course can buy happiness as well as love.

I love my guitars, which all but one I obtained through money.

I don't think that is what makes people happy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/07/magazine/the-futile-pursuit-of-happiness.html

On topic, contentment obviously, but do you mean success just in a monetary sense, or at our own personal goals as well? Or by contentment will I be able to pursue those goals without becoming rich and famous, or will I stop giving a shit about those goals entirely? I don't want to give up the things I want to do.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jun 13, 2011,
What if I was successfully content?

OR I was content with success?

What if the universe didn't exist?

Who are we?

Who are you?

As someone studying to become a lawyer, success, although I don't see how that'd impact my ability to enjoy life. Money makes me very, very, very happy. I'm always happy when I know I have some to spare.
Are success and contentment mutually exclusive? I don't think so. What was the question again?
Smile when you say that.
Quote by whalepudding
I HIGHLY doubt anyone who is homeless, unemployed, broke, starving, etc... is happy. Maybe I am missing something in the equation, but what is not to be happy about having a nice warm home to lay your head? You need money to buy that.

That article is ridiculous. No one is going to be happier about a worse injury.

"Please, sir, punch me again and this time break my cheek bone for this inverted retarded writer says I will be happier the less happy things happen."

As I've written numerous times, if you want to come across as smart, then just over complicate your point of view beyond any measure and reason by adding 177 extra words than required and inverting basic common sense.

You are not happy when someone gives you a thousand dollar check, you are happy when you get your jaw broken. I am not sitting here typing on this laptop with my keyboard, no, nothing so simple and common sense. I am, instead, being used by my keyboard to teleport the thoughts that travel on my jagged patterned designed brain waves to a written word to demonstrate the immaculate structuralist design of the jet stream as it embodies the hair follicles that are held down by invisible magnetism structuralist accounts hedge-comb diseases matters.
Everybody Dies

MY Soundcloud
Tears for todo el dolor
Siempre gritar tu nombre
You're not getting the point.

Lack of money can make you miserable, but having money doesn't actively make you happier. Studies have shown that the more money someone has, the happier they are, up to a certain point - around $75,000 a year, enough to live comfortably - and after that point happiness levels stay the same. Financial problems aren't the only problems. Money doesn't guarantee happiness, it just makes you safe from one particular type of misery.

And the article doesn't say being hit in the cheek bone will make you happier. I'm not convinced you read it particularly closely.
Quote by AllJudasPriest
I HIGHLY doubt anyone who is homeless, unemployed, broke, starving, etc... is happy. Maybe I am missing something in the equation, but what is not to be happy about having a nice warm home to lay your head? You need money to buy that.

That article is ridiculous. No one is going to be happier about a worse injury.

"Please, sir, punch me again and this time break my cheek bone for this inverted retarded writer says I will be happier the less happy things happen."

As I've written numerous times, if you want to come across as smart, then just over complicate your point of view beyond any measure and reason by adding 177 extra words than required and inverting basic common sense.

You are not happy when someone gives you a thousand dollar check, you are happy when you get your jaw broken. I am not sitting here typing on this laptop with my keyboard, no, nothing so simple and common sense. I am, instead, being used by my keyboard to teleport the thoughts that travel on my jagged patterned designed brain waves to a written word to demonstrate the immaculate structuralist design of the jet stream as it embodies the hair follicles that are held down by invisible magnetism structuralist accounts hedge-comb diseases matters.

Well said. Given the choice between a house overlooking the city, a jet-black Mercedes SLK, a $1,900 per week salary and a job I was happy with, and working the typical '9-5 job', having an 80's Corolla and living in a cramped flat, I'd sincerely choose the former.

I'm dead-set on my future, anyway. I just need to focus on studying and coming out with a good degree.

EDIT: @Whalepudding, I have read such studies, but personally, I'd much rather be an averagely-happy person, than a miserable person worrying about bills and whether I could afford my car rego. If all goes according to plan, I could be earning roughly $75,000 in my first few years of practice. After a while, I can max my salary to $101,000, give or take a couple thousand. The whole 'success' thing has been ingrained in me by my mother my entire life, though. It's something I feel I need, and it's something I very much want.
Last edited by 'Leviathan' at Jun 13, 2011,
Quote by whalepudding
You're not getting the point.
I will not deny at all that I may have missed the point.
Quote by whalepudding
Lack of money can make you miserable, but having money doesn't actively make you happier. Studies have shown that the more money someone has, the happier they are, up to a certain point - around $75,000 a year, enough to live comfortably - and after that point happiness levels stay the same. Financial problems aren't the only problems. Money doesn't guarantee happiness, it just makes you safe from one particular type of misery.
Actually, it is widely believed that a wealthier person is unhappy, but this is only within tax bracket contexts. I am not stating you are poor or anything, but just to help me make my counterpoint to this easier, just go along with what I state here. Okay?

You make a measly 21,000 a year and I make 85,000 a year, both of these numbers are gross, which means all annual taxes have been removed. I am going to be happier because if we are talking about vehicles, which I love, I am able to afford that luxury high end vehicle than you are.
If we are talking about residences, I am able to afford that three story that is built on the Gulf Of Mexico as my backyard, as opposed to your mobile home.
If we are talking about clothing attire, I am able to afford clothes made by Chanel or Armani, while you may be stuck with goodwill hand-me-downs.
If we are talking about eating at restaurants, I am able to afford eating at Tetsuya's or Quay's exquisite five star cuisine, as opposed to your eating at Denny's.

See a pattern going here? But here is the flip side. When I file my taxes every year, as a business owner, the level of tax filing is much more significant. Unlike you having to fill out a 1040 form, I have to slave over hours of paperwork, receipts, legal 1099 forms. As a homeowner, my insurance costs are higher by default, due to being obligated by standard law for carrying Flood Insurance.

In other words, my attention to detail there and level of keeping fiscal earnings afloat are much more elevated by people, professional as well as personally, dependent on my getting the job right.

The more money you make, the more creditors hounding you are around. The more money you make, the more your premiums on everything can be. The more money you make, the more your insurances are and this is because all of the greedy fingers in the pot know you are making money.

When one sees the daunting task of staying afloat with so much more at stake and to worry about, they simply refuse. But you know what, the task is much worth it. I am happy that I have a home, career and able to put my child to college in just two years. All of these factors are raised because I did it all by hard work with no hand outs, which means I treasure(OR LOVE) them even more.

No matter which way you slice it, the more someone has the happier they are. Sure, they can still be unhappy in an otherwise prestigious existence, but that is only due to circumstances you wouldn't understand due to not having the set of rules they do. They live on a street you've never walked down before, with an entirely different set of penalties and obligations to adhere to.
Quote by whalepudding
And the article doesn't say being hit in the cheek bone will make you happier. I'm not convinced you read it particularly closely.
No, actually I read it very thoroughly and while it never said breaking a cheek bone, it was a simple "to the point" moment that maybe I should have spelled out otherwise.
Quote by 'Leviathan'
Well said. Given the choice between a house overlooking the city, a jet-black Mercedes SLK, a $1,900 per week salary and a job I was happy with, and working the typical '9-5 job', having an 80's Corolla and living in a cramped flat, I'd sincerely choose the former.
Absolutely. The whole "getting over your head" factor though might be what he is getting at, which is a very valid point.
Quote by 'Leviathan'
I'm dead-set on my future, anyway. I just need to focus on studying and coming out with a good degree.
Which is very admirable, best of luck sir.
Everybody Dies

MY Soundcloud
Tears for todo el dolor
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Last edited by AllJudasPriest at Jun 13, 2011,
Quote by AllJudasPriest
No matter which way you slice it, the more someone has the happier they are.

I don't think that's true. Nigerians make, on average, $300 a year, and according to surveys have the highest average levels of happiness in the world. America, on the other hand, gave out 147 million prescriptions for antidepressants in 2004.

I'm not saying that less money = happier people, any more than more money = happier people. Having lots of money is probably nicer than not having it. I'm saying money isn't as relevant to happiness as people think.

That bloke's research suggests that to be happy someone needs pleasure, active involvement in their work, and the belief that they are doing something meaningful and worthwhile. Money might make it easier to experience pleasure but isn't necessary for it. It doesn't guarantee the other two.

And regarding the satisfaction of making money, that wears off. We have a tendency to overestimate the emotional impact things will have on us. At first, someone winning the lottery will be ecstatic and someone who's had their legs blown off will be mortified. We imagine those emotional impacts to last for the rest of our lives. But studies have shown that after a period of time (I forget how long, this is something I read a while ago), those two peoples' happiness levels will have evened out. People get used to situations, good and bad.
Quote by AllJudasPriest
Sure, they can still be unhappy in an otherwise prestigious existence, but that is only due to circumstances you wouldn't understand due to not having the set of rules they do. They live on a street you've never walked down before, with an entirely different set of penalties and obligations to adhere to.
They probably do. That's still an example of money not buying happiness.

Or, they also might have relationship problems, mental health problems, stressful jobs, pessimistic outlooks on life, few friends. Maybe they have unfulfilled dreams and goals, or family issues, or guilt about something that's happened in their past. Saying money can buy happiness is overly simplistic, because financial situations aren't the only things that influence a person's happiness.
Quote by whalepudding
I don't think that's true. Nigerians make, on average, $300 a year, and according to surveys have the highest average levels of happiness in the world. America, on the other hand, gives out 120 million prescriptions for antidepressants a year.
Again, the context matters. You are introducing this geographical scenario and claiming that it matters. The reason why $300 annually is enough to make them happy is because $300 annually can obtain them a lot more than it could an American. The levels are subjective dependent on a lot of factors.
Quote by whalepudding
That bloke's research suggests that to be happy someone needs pleasure, active involvement in their work, and the belief that they are doing something meaningful and worthwhile. Money might make it easier to experience pleasure, it doesn't guarantee the other two.
And lastly, we have reached the main crux of our misunderstanding. Sir, you are stating that the gentleman's research declares that a persons needs pleasure, needs active involvement and idea they are heading somewhere in life, so lets break it down.

If the 'pleasure' is something like eating a candy bar or exercising or any other pleasurable activity, do you think they can do this without having money?
If the 'active involvement' is something like being asked to stay later or handle more tasks, then this coincides with the final one so I will address them both for you. You must have a job first in order to attempt at moving up at said job. You cannot go somewhere if you haven't decided on where to go. You cannot have a purpose if you do not have a destination. As the old expression goes, everything comes with a price, well so does every job. Rather it is you personally spending the money on happiness or someone else is irrevelent to one undeniable fact; Money Is The Root Of Said Happiness Since It Is The Only Constant In Both.

I can sit here and name you thousands upon thousands of activities, thoughts, actions, etc... that brings about happiness, but if I ended them all with, "But you need money to do it," than I will have just said the same thing over and over again. In order to do much of anything in this world, both outright as well as inadvertently, requires money in someway shape or form.
Quote by whalepudding
Or, they also might have relationship problems, mental health problems, stressful jobs, pessimistic outlooks on life, few friends. Maybe they have unfulfilled dreams and goals, or family issues, or guilt about something that's happened in their past. Saying money can buy happiness is overly simplistic, because financial situations aren't the only things that influence a person's happiness.
Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait! This is not what we are discussing here. We weren't talking about rather happiness can be obtained by having or not having money. These other factors are negated from the conversation by this rationale then.

What also makes this fail however is that all of them can be answered in this way:

Relationship Problems = Exit the relationship.
Mental Health Problems = Get treatment
Stressful Jobs = ALL Jobs are stressful, otherwise, it wouldn't be a job.
Pessimistic outlooks on life = No one is at fault but that person for this.
Few Friends. = See above.
Unfulfilled dreams and goals = Once again
Family Issues = It Is What It Is
Guilt about their past. = There is no use crying over spilled milkshake.

With the exception of the first three things, everything else is entirely in their control and two of the first three could on occasion be in their control as well.

In the words of the film "Shawshank Redemption"
Everybody Dies

MY Soundcloud
Tears for todo el dolor
Siempre gritar tu nombre
We were talking about whether money can buy happiness, weren't we? Those are things which have an enormous influence on a person's mental state (more so than a luxury high end vehicle, a three storey house or Armani clothes), and money is irrelevant to them. Yes, they can be solved (sort of - some of those solutions are incredibly simplistic), but not with money. So, money can't buy happiness.

Yes, fatalistic world views, a poor social life or sex life, and unfulfilled goals can be a person's own fault. But it can make them miserable, and money can't buy their way out of it. That's the point.
Quote by whalepudding
We were talking about whether money can buy happiness, weren't we? Those are things which have an enormous influence on a person's mental state (more so than a luxury high end vehicle, a three storey house or Armani clothes), and money is irrelevant to them. Yes, they can be solved (sort of - some of those solutions are incredibly simplistic), but not with money. So, money can't buy happiness.

Yes, fatalistic beliefs, a poor social life and unfulfilled goals can be a person's own fault. But it can make them miserable, and money can't buy their way out of it. That's the point.
Sure it can. If you are having relationship problems, guess what is a good and proven avenue to help you? Marriage Counseling. Guess what you need in order to go to a marriage counseling? MONEY!

If you have mental health problems, guess what is a good proven avenue to help you? Medication. Guess what you need in order to go and get Medication? MONEY!

And besides, all of those off-put each other. A job might be stressful but if you are having relationship problems, going to work helps you. Besides that there is one thing you are overlooking and I simply cannot understand why.

I was not in anyway shape or form attempting to marginalize the issues you brought up but you know what, you inadvertently proved my point for me. If you are suffering from all, a combination of or, hell, even just one of those situations you mentioned in the post, I bet you can I name something worse than that.

Having those issues and NOT HAVING A JOB, VEHICLE OR HOME TO LIVE IN.

If I had relationship problems, the last thing I would want is to have relationship problems AND be unemployed. The solution, rather it is a proven or non-proven avenue, to any of those problems are only solvable by you having or not having money. If you know of a non-financial way of aiding people with those problems than you shouldn't be on the forums, you should be rich and enjoying the sweet life for being the most revolutionary entrepreneur of the past century. Every problem you can think of is solved in some way shape or form by money and if you think for a second having a problem is better than not having a problem, then it goes back to what I wrote before about just inverting something.

Sorry sir, but you simply are not going to win this debate here. Money can buy happiness because no matter what it is that subjectively makes you happy, the only constant in the scenarios is it only obtainable by you, or someone else, spending money.
Everybody Dies

MY Soundcloud
Tears for todo el dolor
Siempre gritar tu nombre
BOTH! But if I have to choose, I'd take contentment

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by AllJudasPriest
Sorry sir, but you simply are not going to win this debate here. Money can buy happiness because no matter what it is that subjectively makes you happy, the only constant in the scenarios is it only obtainable by you, or someone else, spending money.

No, you're wrong.

OT, I pick option C: turn on, tune in, drop out.
Page 1 of 2